L.A. to South Florida - 3 estimates

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Butterfly

L.A. to South Florida - 3 estimates

Postby Butterfly » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:24 pm

My move is in less than 10 days (Feb 28th), and I'd appreciate any help I can get in reviewing my estimates:

#1 Gentle Giant Moving and Storage/Atlas
Hawthorne, CA
U.S. DOT - 125550

6,800 lbs. for $4987 Non-Binding
Would not give me a GNTE or Binding Estimate, kept saying they won't know for sure how much it will be until they weigh it

Very thorough estimate, but the guy was not very helpful in answering my questions. He made it clear that he was just there to get the estimate, and kept telling me to call the office to have my questions answered.

#2 Blue Chip Moving and Storage/Mayflower
Hawthorne, CA
U.S. DOT - 125563

6,977 lbs. for $4972 Binding Not To Exceed
He explained that if it ends up weighing lower that we would pay less, but he also mentioned that if it turns out that it weighs a LOT more than he thought, he'd have to add an addendum.

I was late to this estimate, so my boyfriend's mother let him into the apartment, and when I finally got there he was already finished looking at everything. 15 minutes for a very packed 2 bedroom apartment seemed a little quick to me. But he was very nice and answered all my questions. Also, we have a storage area in the carport that I told him was packed with boxes, but he said it was fine to not look at it and he put it on the inventory. I told him about 50 boxes, 20 of them were heavy. I was surprised that he didn't want to look at them, until he mentioned the possible addendum if it turns out that I have more boxes than I told him.

#3 Beverly Hills Transfer/Allied
Beverly Hills, CA
U.S. DOT - 076235

6,325 lbs. for $5066 “Total Guaranteed Price”
He told me when he showed up that it would be a GNTE quote, but nowhere on the estimate does it say this. No discount given, as he used a “T.P.G.” to get the cost. It does have a “Guaranteed Rate Reduction” if the actual weight is less that what’s on the estimate. My fault for not reviewing the estimate before he left.

He was very friendly, and answered all my questions, but kept reassuring me that if the load ended up weighing more than he estimated, that it was something the driver and himself would work out between themselves and I wouldn’t be involved, nor would I have to sign an addendum.

I also had an appointment with Gemini Moving/United, but he was a no show. Or rather, he called me to reschedule the 1st appointment, left me a message to reschedule the 2nd time, and then didn't show up on the 3rd try. :x

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've been reviewing these boards for just over a week, and I must say everything has me nervous. And yes - it's a quick move date - boyfriend got offered a job and flew out to Miami immediately, and I'm left to find movers by the end of the month. Yikes!

Michael

Re: L.A. to South Florida - 3 estimates

Postby Michael » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:32 pm

Well first Allied is offerring less weight, yet the most costly. So I dont see the price going down much more if the weight did.

Atlas sounds as if they were sent out by another agent. The only time I never really get into the question answering is when its another agents move and I am just doing the survey, then I do direct them to the agent running the show.

That leaves you with Mayflower, ugh.

And United, well damn they just shot themselves in the foot.

So I would say its between Atlas, doesnt answer questions and Mayflower, went through the home fast. But even in that case, he still estimated more weight even without seeing your storage. And by the way, unless there was difficult access to the storage, I would have asked the same thing and asked for a box count from you. So I dont fault him for that.

So I guess its who you feel more comfortable with. I would assume they are both within 1% of eachother on discount. All three are within 10% of eachother in weight.

Mayflower does guarantee it. Atlas doesnt, and Allieds price isnt going to drop much at all based on the weight estimated.

What did each include for valuation????

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:34 pm

Butterfly,

I'll try to answer you since most of the moverpros aren't around on weekends. I've been around for a couple of years and I try to keep track of things on this website.

First, all three companies that you mention, and also Gemini, have good comments here from moverpros. What I'm going to tell you is based more on actual reviews of their performance.

1. Gentle Giant. You need to take a look at this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2253. Based on the experience of "Laurie" and the fact that they won't give you a GNTE, I think you have better choices than Gentle Giant.

2. Blue Chip. All I know is that moving professionals in the area think highly of this company. We have no reviews by people who have actually used it.

3. Beverly Hills Transfer. Again, this company has an excellent reputation but we have no reviews by people who have actually used it. It is an Allied agent and the TPG (Total Price Guarantee) is the way Allied usually quotes things. If you have a Guaranteed Rate Reduction (GRR) noted on the estimate, that is the same as a Guaranteed Not to Exceed estimate and you don't have to worry. Please see this thread for a discussion of this issue, looking particularly at the post by PRO - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3383.

Your estimates are very close in price. On the basis of the information that you've provided, I would recommend that you go with Beverly Hills Transfer. They have given you the equivalent of a GNTE quote and that will give you peace of mind. Hope this helps.

Butterfly

Postby Butterfly » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:20 am

I knew I would leave something out…

No valuations were included in the estimates, but here’s what they offered for full value, $35,000 minimum, 0 deductible:
Gentle Giant/Atlas – $340
Blue Chip/Mayflower - $353
Beverly Hills Transfer/Allied - $346

Both Gentle Giant & Blue Chip gave a 64% discount.

I think I feel comfortable with Blue Chip. He was really helpful, and didn’t just tell me what I wanted to hear. But my boyfriend’s dad knows someone at Beverly Hills Transfer, so I think they’d like to see us pick them, just so they would have an “in” on the off chance something goes wrong.

Whooooo, it’s all so overwhelming. So I thank you Diane and Michael (and everyone else) for helping me sort it all out. And I PROMISE to post here after the move is finished with an update!

me/Michael

Postby me/Michael » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:43 am

Well Diane and I seem to be at a disagreement at whom you should chose. But if you know someone at Beverly Hills Transfer, then I would approach them with the other estimates you had, tell them to quote you for the higher weight and see where they come in at. Dont tell them the prices, but tell them the weight you want quoted.

Was packing included in the quotes>?

And if your comfortable with Mayflower, thats good too. Sales people that are not afraid to tell you how it is in the industry are better then those that just tell you what you want to hear in my opinion.

Best of luck,

Butterfly

Followup on L.A. to South Florida

Postby Butterfly » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:38 pm

Sorry for the delay in following up on this.

I decided to go with Beverly Hills Transfer/Allied, mainly because my boyfriend's dad knew someone who worked with the company, so they felt it would be nice to have an "in" if we needed it.

Everything went smoothly, and the truck was there when promised. The only thing that wasn't good was the way they stacked the boxes in the new house. When you looked at them, it seemed fine, so of course I signed all the paperwork that said 'All Okay'. But as I unpacked I realized that they crammed boxes into tiny spaces (like under a desk), and the boxes got squashed. No notable damage so far, but it was still annoying. I do realize though that if we had packed a little better, maybe the boxes wouldn't have gotten squashed so much. :wink: Also, there are numerous scuffmarks on the walls, from where they piled up the boxes, which was only noticable after we started unpacking (and I mean weeks after, since it takes so long to unpack!). But these are all minor things.

To sum up, Beverly Hills Transfer/Allied did a fine job, and I have no problem recommending them to anyone.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:13 pm

Thanks so much for coming back to report. This really helps us! If you see this, I would also be interested in knowing whether your weight was less than the estimate and the cost went down as a result.

Butterfly

Postby Butterfly » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:23 pm

the actual weight was 60 pounds higher than the estimate, so it was the same price that they quoted.

Postby 23 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:19 pm

Butterfly wrote:the actual weight was 60 pounds higher than the estimate, so it was the same price that they quoted.

I just love how movers always seem to be right on with a Not to Exceed estimate. Just enough so it isn't any cheaper for you.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:28 pm

My thoughts exactly. Did they even weigh the truck, I wonder . . .

Return to “Open Community”