Local move in Ashburn, VA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
saxman5672

Local move in Ashburn, VA

Postby saxman5672 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:47 pm

We're looking to make a rather small local move in Ashburn, VA at the end of March. We've looked at (and spoken with) a ton of firms...many of which I've seen on the forum here as being less than spectacular.

Any recommendations on a good, but relatively cheap, firm in this area that can handle our move? We're moving a 2-bedroom townhome and doing most of the packing ourselves - just need a firm to get the big stuff and move it literally a mile away.

Should be a piece of cake, but I want to make sure that we use a reputable firm and avoid any unnecessary problems.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide! :D

saxman5672

Re: Local move in Ashburn, VA

Postby saxman5672 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:09 pm

Well, should have read the FAQs first!

Our short list is not so short, but includes:

* JK
* Beltway Movers
* Victory Van Lines
* Brauns International
* Relocations Systems
* 2 Guys and a Truck
* Collins Brothers

The first three are from recommendations made in this forum - the others are from some other outside recommendations, so I'm most keen to hear any firsthand knowledge of those...

Thanks again!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:40 pm

I'll mention the same thing I said in your PM, you mean Victory Van Corp (Atlas agent), not Victory Van Lines (scammer)! :wink:

Relocations Systems is the company in Sterling?

saxman5672

Postby saxman5672 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:16 am

Yes, Relocation Systems out of Sterling. They actually came recommended by a few friends and colleagues. Their sales person came to the house yesterday to do an estimate - was very thorough, provided a written estimate and lots of information on the company, and seemed very professional. We will more than likely go with them, if for no other reason than I know we can trust them, given our connections to their management staff. Their quote was middle of the pack, but very competitive with the "legitimate" moving outfits.

I'll be sure to post how the move went when the time comes....many thanks!

mikeanddana

Too Late To Schedule??

Postby mikeanddana » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:26 am

Is it too late to schedule a local move from Alexandria, Va, to Chevy Chase DC for Sunday, March 20th? Am I going to get screwed on pricing because the moving date is less than 2 weeks away? I am always more organized than this, but I didn't have the money to pay for movers until yesterday (thanks Mom & Dad).

I would appreciate it if people in my local area - metro DC - commented on their experiences with "last minute" moves like this one. I'm considering JK Moving & Storage, Victory VAn Corp, and Beltway Movers, although I haven't scheduled any of them for an in-home estimate yet. I'm so new at this I don't even know if less than 2 weeks to moving day IS last minute or not. HELP!

I'm wondering if I waited too long to schedule a move?? I'm moving from a 1BR + den condo in Alexandria to a 3 BR townhouse-style condo.

woody

Postby woody » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:45 pm

I don't think it is too late to do. When I was recently checking for a local move in Maryland all the places I called which included Victory and Beltway seemed to not be super busy until the end of the month. I would however schedule ASAP as the date is getting closer. If you want to PM me about anything feel free to. I have my move scheduled but have not done the actual move yet, so my help would be on what I found in finding someone. I will be posting my experience after my move is complete. Just to note, I didn't contact JK though I have read good comments here. Both Victory and Beltway have also got similiar comments from people who have used them here or from word of mouth. I would have felt comfortable using either of them, though I had to choose one.

Move Consultant

Postby Move Consultant » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:17 pm

First 3 are very well known in the VA, Dc area, and have worked with JK teams before on many occasion, in my driving days, now in sales for <snip>! Have a friend in sales at <snip> in VA area, very large reputable company!

This post was edited for content by the site administrator. This post contained advertisements for specific moving companies which is against MovingScam.com policy.

Return to “Open Community”