Anyone have any experience with Academy Moving & Storage

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Christina

Anyone have any experience with Academy Moving & Storage

Postby Christina » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:42 pm

I thankfully found this site before entrusting my belongings to a scam mover, and am very grateful for the hard work of all the volunteers on this site.
:D
I am moving from LA to NY around 11/19-11/22.

I have read the "How to find a Reputable Mover" article and have begun my search for legitimate movers. I started my search with a "big" mover, Allied, who referred me to their certified agent Academy Moving & Storage. I did a search for them on this site, and didn't find any recommendations but did find this information:

Academy Moving & Storage (Burbank, CA) - associated with Allied MC-15731 (Cal-T 176051)

Any thoughts re: Academy?

patkhu

Re: Anyone have any experience with Academy Moving & Sto

Postby patkhu » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:11 pm

Hi Christina,

I don't know anything about Allied, but I am just about to move from LA myself. We tried to get a different agent for them who has been reviewed pretty well (Beverly Hills Transfer and Storage), and we couldn't get an estimate from them until 10 days before our move, so ruled them out.

We got estimates from Alex Moving before learning that there a several folks here who have had difficulties, with them. They are an agent for North American. They wouldn't give a GNTE estimate, so we ruled them out anyway. Our other estimates were from Mayflower agent Blue Chip and United agent Gemini Moving Systems. All are in the greater LA area. Felt OK about Mayflower and United, except that Mayflower's estimate was originaly 1200 pounds lower than the other 2. That raised a bit of a flag. THey did revise it after I called it to their attention, but in the end I felt it might be a lowball estimate. Decided to go with United, and will post our experience after we move.

That all being said, if Broadway Express could accomodate our time frame we would use them. We would have saved at least $1800, but they can't move us on the day we need to go, and we have no flexibilty for our move date.

Good luck!

Lisa

AndiGellert

Postby AndiGellert » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:52 pm

I am moving from Los Angeles to New York at the beginning of April. Christina - which mover did you choose in the end? Lisa & Christina - how were your moves? Would you recommend your movers?

Thanks.
Andi

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:01 pm

Andi,

Christina never came back to tell us who she used. Lisa used Gemini, partly because Beverly Hills Transfer couldn't accommodate her schedule. You can read her comments on the move by clicking on "Profile" below her post and then clicking on "View all posts" on the next screen. I think I recall that she was fairly well satisfied, but BH Transfer (Allied) is rated higher than Gemini (United) by the LA area BBB. Another one that is highly rated is Andy's Transfer (NAVL).

You can contact the California Moving & Storage Assocation at www.cmsa.org to get feedback on these and other Los Angeles area movers.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:12 pm

Well, this is mighty interesting. I thought I should check the BBB website so I wouldn't be telling any lies here.

When the Los Angeles area BBB ratings first came out in late December 2004, Gemini was rated B. Now it is rated A, just like Beverly Hills Transfer.

Andy's Transfer was rated AA. Now it is also rated A.

I haven't checked on any others, but people speculated at the time that pressure would be put on the BBB to alter the ratings.

Blue Chip is rated BB. (BB is higher than B but lower than BBB.)

This is not to say that anyone should rely on the BBB ratings to make a decision. Sad to say, some dubious companies are highly rated by the Los Angeles area BBB.

AndiGellert

Postby AndiGellert » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:53 pm

Thanks, Diane! I contacted Big Johns, per your earlier suggestion, and unfortunately they aren't doing any LA pickups within my timeframe. (Flatrate also doesn't pickup in Los Angeles.) But I'm calling Gemini, Andy's Transfer and Beverly Hills Transfer today. Thanks again for all of your help.

Andi

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:44 pm

You're very welcome. If those three companies are too expensive for you, do consider calling Delancey Street Movers as they are often more reasonably priced and they have excellent reviews and comments here. The Delancey Street Foundation, which runs the moving company operation, was given an AAA rating by the Los Angeles area BBB - http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Busin ... 069793&sm=. The only negative I've heard is that sometimes there can be minor damages, but I've also heard that the company is great at paying claims. Delancey Street Movers does no advertising.

Return to “Open Community”