Chicago - Rate these movers that I am considering

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Chicago - Rate these movers that I am considering

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:02 pm

In City move - these are the companies I am considering. Any info would be helpful

Affordable Movers
A-Windy City Movers
Planet Cargo
Time to Move
USA Moving and Storage
Golans
Jay Movers

All seems legit and several have good recommendations.

Thanks!

MusicMom

Re: Chicago - Rate these movers that I am considering

Postby MusicMom » Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:06 pm

Can you tell us the DOT numers? researching by names is very innacurate, there are too many movers with simialr names.

How did you come up with this list?

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:17 pm

Affordable, Jay Movers and A-Windy City came from recommendations from friends.

USA Moving and Storage = MC 297382
Planet Cargo = not listed on web page
Golans = 258359 MC

This list was generated from recs. and from other various sources.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:31 pm

Rule out Affordable if it's the one with MC #441890 in Tampa, FL (blacklisted here) and Time to Move (blacklisted on movingadvocateteam.com). There is more than one Affordable so you really need the MC number on this one.

Planet Cargo, Inc. (MC #327188) had a fairly recent revocation of its interstate licensing authority that lasted a year and a half. I wouldn't use them.

Jay Movers (MC #344739) has a very high (50%) driver out of service rating and lists only 2 trucks and 2 drivers. Otherwise it looks OK. It might be OK for a local move.

A friend of mine has said that Golan's (MC #258359) has a good reputation in Chicago. I think that could be one of the companies to get an estimate from, along with USA Moving.

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:19 pm

I would also ask each company "Do you work with US Movers Van Lines?" If they say yes then politely end the conversation and find another mover.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

IMP

Postby IMP » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:29 pm

I lived in and worked for a United agent in Chicago for 5 years. Golans is the only one of the companies you listed that I've even heard of - and in the moving industry they do NOT have a good reputation. There are so many good agents for the majors there - United and others - that you shouldn't have to go to one of these cut rate places to get a good move for a good value.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:17 pm

It's good to have input from an experienced person like you, IMP. Both Golan's and USA Moving do have some blemishes. I guess because this is an in-city move, the person who started this thread decided to see whether he or she could find someone other than a major to do it.

Golan's has one interstate license revocation (in 1996). Otherwise its record on safersys.org looks good. It has been mentioned once on this board--someone complained that it failed to pay a claim when the packaging of a computer printer was intact but the printer didn't work after the move; see http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=176. This may have been OK, but on that same thread people reported--and Golan's website at www.golansmoving.com confirms this--that Golan's estimates by cubic feet for long-distance moves (a big no-no). Golan's website says that it charges by the hour for local moves.

USA Moving & Storage (MC #297382) had its interstate license revoked for 3-1/2 months in 2000, and it has many insurance cancellations. Otherwise its record on safersys.org looks fairly good. Its administrative contact is listed on Whois as Gadi Ziffrani.

As for A Windy City Movers, it may be a Wheaton agent. The person who started this thread should try to get its MC number.

Christie

Postby Christie » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:11 pm

I used Golan's last year for a move and I thought they were great. They showed up 15 minutes early and the lead guy was very polite and answered all my questions. They did not try to scam us in any way and were very efficient. They did charge by the hour.

I am looking for a new mover now because Golans won't move me to Champaign. Any suggestions?

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:59 am

Consumer Advocate has just pointed out on another thread that Golan's has a very large number of complaints with the BBB. So does Jay Movers. DO NOT USE either of these companies!

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:24 pm

Diane,

Ummm, two months late on that one, lol.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

ChicagoGirl

Postby ChicagoGirl » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:24 am

This is way after the fact, but just for posterity since USA Moving was mentioned. :-)

We moved twice in Chicago. USA Moving and Storage was fairly priced and worked very hard, they moved a full two bedroom apartment with many large pieces of furniture for $1000, including boxes and packing. The packing was unexpected too, I thought I would be finished packing, but was pregnant and couldn't pull it off. The owners cousin was the head of that move, which could have helped. It was in June of 2000, probably right after the license was pulled, but I had a great experience with them. Small family place, from what I could tell, but sent 4 guys to move us.

Two months later, we had to move again -- and USA wasn't available. Disaster this time. Unfortunately, I dont' remember the company, I think I blocked it out of my mind. They charged more than USA to move us to the first floor, didn't have to pack and no boxes. I refused to pay them what they asked, they eventually gave up.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:58 am

Thanks for writing. Sometimes these marginal companies can be OK for a local move. It wouldn't have needed an interstate license to move you within IL. People can always check IL companies' reputations with the Illinois Movers' and Warehousemen's Association, phone 217-585-2470 or 888-791-2516.

jess

Postby jess » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:52 pm

Christie wrote:I am looking for a new mover now because Golans won't move me to Champaign. Any suggestions?

A United Agency will move you to Champaign as an Intrastate move, and we all know theres plenty of United agents in the Chicago area. The hot pick that I have heard raved about on this site would have to be <snip> but theres many others as well. Just thought I would let you know :lol:

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:25 pm

OK, look, "Jess", your company is really getting on the moderators' nerves! If we have to snip that name one more time, I personally will find a complaint to paste here. :x

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:30 pm

Just for eveyone else who reads these posts. No one, including the movers that volunteer here, RAVE about one particular company over another. We may recommend you get a quote from one agent over another, BUT NEVER RAVE over any company.

Thats up to the customer to come back and comment on his or her move with whomever they selected.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Return to “Open Community”