Advice for move from Vista, CA to Raleigh, NC

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Advice for move from Vista, CA to Raleigh, NC

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:56 pm

Hello,

I am looking for advice on my move. I have gotten quotes from all different kinds of movers (from U-Haul to ABF U-Pack to North American Van Lines). Yesterday I had a local agent of North American out to my house to do a free estimate. He gave me in writing a "not-to-exceed" cost of $1,661. This estimate was barely more than my quote from ABF, and less than my quote from U-Haul. I'm looking at this company, but the local agent is small and only has two long distance drivers. The agent told me that his window for delivery would be between March 31 - April 11th. I was hoping to get my stuff to Raleigh by the 1st. I also got a suggestion from a friend for Bekins. I noticed in another thread on here that there was a local agent of Bekins up near Thousand Oaks that did not have a good BBB rating. Does anyone know about the local agent of Bekins in Escondido, CA? And one more question I have is about a company called Box Brothers, a local moving company in the area. This guy's website is movingforless.com, and he told me all about his AAA rating from the BBB. He says he got a referral to me through an online quote request I did with Atlas.

Well, I'm just trying to get down to a final decision here, and I would appreciate any advice you guys could give me. Thank you very much.

Re: Advice for move from Vista, CA to Raleigh, NC

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:58 pm

Hi again,

I tried to use the username I registered on here with yesterday, but it won't let me post using it for some reason, so I am showing up as a guest. My username is Russ_J. Thanks again for any help you can give!!!

~Russell

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:08 pm

Hi Russ,

First of all, a satisfactory BBB rating is not to be taken seriously. If the BBB rates them as unsatisfactory you can eliminate them immediately. If they have a satisfactory rating, that must be corroborated with other positive information. I believe Box Brothers has been discussed here before; perhaps one of the other volunteers will remember something about them. In the meantime you can use the search function to search under "Box Brothers" using quotation marks.

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:13 pm

After reading up some more on this site, I notice that Box Brothers contracts out all of their trucks from major companies and holds your stuff in a warehouse until they can fill the trucks, causing major delays. I guess since time service is an issue for me, I better go elsewhere. The guy on the phone gave me the impression that it would be no problem getting my stuff to Raleigh by April 1st, but now I'm skeptical.

I have in writing a quote from North American's local agent. I have a quote request in with Bekins, who I'm sure will use their local agent in Escondido. Since North American's price is competitive with ABF, I'm leaning that way, I just don't want to wait until April 11th for my stuff to arrive. I guess we will see what Bekins can come up with. Any advice about any of these companies would be greatly appreciated!

~Russell

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:16 pm

Hi -

First, Bekins. This is the address of the agent that is part of the "bad" group:

San Diego
2025 Gillespie Drive
El Cajon, CA 92020
phone: 858.578.8900
fax: 858.578.6468

Second, Box Brothers. If you search on the name as CA advised, you'll see that people have been unenthusiastic about them. Sterling Van Lines in Los Angeles has had much better comments and reviews for small loads going out of CA.

Third, North American. Are you SURE that this is really an agent of NAVL? What is the name of the company? Also, if they are saying a delivery date of March 31 - April 11, my guess is that it will be closer to the end of that period than to the beginning.

For your size load, Broadway Express would charge $1834 and then you would have to budget maybe $200 to pay the driver and loading and unloading labor. You would be safer with them, in terms of getting an early delivery time, than with any of your other alternatives, I think. Transit time would probably be 7-10 days.

Russ_J

Postby Russ_J » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:32 pm

Hi Diane,

Thanks for your quick response. Yeah, I did read some more about Box Brothers and I have ruled out that option.

As for the agent of NAVL, it is called Republic Van Lines, located at 12325 Kerran St. #D, Poway, CA 92064. After requesting a quote from NAVL, I got a call from a rep from North American, who set me up with these guys, and I gave them a call the next day to set up the in home estimate.

I can try with BE, but I have been contacted already by Movex, so I figured trying to get business from BE would be tough after reading about their agreement.

I have done a good amount of reading on here in the past few weeks, and I was originally just going to go with ABF, but after getting this quote yesterday it seems a lot more convenient and around the same price to get a full service mover. And the reviews from people who had problems with ABF like leaky trailers, spider infestations, and time service issues are also a concern of mine. I feel like I am getting more piece of mind that my stuff will be okay from NAVL.

The only thing holding me back from NAVL is the huge delivery window, and the horror stories about full service movers holding your stuff hostage.

Russ_J

Postby Russ_J » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:41 pm

Oh, I also wanted to let you know that I have just been contacted through email by the agent of Bekins and it is not the one that you mentioned as "bad". It is:

PACK & CRATE SERVICES,INC
238 QUINCE STREET
ESCONDIDO , CA

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:43 pm

Russ,

Based on a strong warning by a moving professional who posts here, I would advise you to stay away from Republic because of quality issues. I'm sorry to tell you that but this person's advice is very reliable. Republic would not hold your things hostage, but there could well be service problems.

:arrow: I am also a little concerned about the Bekins agent even though it supposedly isn't in that "bad" group. That name sounds mighty strange for an agent of a major van line. When I looked it up on www.safersys.org, it said it has MC #272424 and only 1 truck and 1 driver.

I can understand your concern about ABF. Did you get a quote from Movex already, and if so, how much was it for? You can go through Movex and request Broadway Express as your carrier. The price differential between Movex and BE is often very small. If you got a quote from Movex that was much lower than $1834, does it include moving blankets, a bulkhead, ramps, etc.? If it does not, then Movex and BE wouldn't be offering you the same service and in my opinion the non-compete agreement between them would be voided.

We have a person who posts here, Michael, who is in Raleigh, and he may have other suggestions. How much stuff do you have?
Last edited by Diane on Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Russ_J

Postby Russ_J » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:54 pm

Diane,

I am moving around 1,500 - 1,800 lbs, mostly just bedroom furniture, tv stand, and desk. I forgot what my quote from Movex was. I decided not to use them weeks ago when I read on here that they were a broker and that I could find rates for cheaper. But I did just call Broadway Express and got that same quote that you mentioned for 10 linear feet: $1,834. That seems ridiculous to pay MORE to have to load and unload yourself. But I am more than willing to do it if it is the safest and most reliable option.

Would you recommend BE over ABF, or are they basically identical in your mind?

That's really too bad about Republic. I thought I had found a great deal. :cry:

Any chance this PacknCrate agent of Bekins is reputable and worth a shot?

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:11 pm

Hi - I don't think Pack & Crate is a real moving company in the usual sense (I just modified my post above). Something peculiar is going on. Judging from safersys.org, it seems to be unlicensed and the BBB says it is a packaging service in addition to being a "mover." I would avoid this one. It's possible that it would just package your stuff and send it via ABF or another freight company anyway. In any case, Bekins has the lowest reputation among the major van lines, even if it IS a Bekins agent. I'm not convinced that Pack & Crate isn't connected to that "bad" group.

I am positive that Republic is bad but others will undoubtedly come on to confirm this.

In my opinion, only with ABF and BE can you be sure that your things will get to Raleigh by April 1. You have a very small load and the van lines would have to wait until they had a full truck going in your direction, which might be a while.

I can understand your feeling about paying more to load it yourself with BE. You seem to have very little stuff--probably only about 5 linear feet, which is the ABF minimum at terminals (it's 6 door to door). Have you considered taking it to an ABF terminal and shipping it from there to another terminal in or near Raleigh? With BE you have to pay for 10 feet so it's kind of a waste of money. ABF has those mobile containers that keep your things safe from the elements (see the FAQ sheet). You would need two of them, though.

In answer to your question, BE is much better than ABF in terms of offering more amenities, but it is also several hundred dollars more expensive in your case.

The other thing you could do is rent a Penske truck (better quality than U-Haul - see our rental van thread on the sticky at the top of the messageboard).

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:00 pm

I wouldn't mind going the Penske route, or Budget, but if I did that I'd have to get the 15' truck and a tow dolly for my car, and the quote on that is like $2,300 even after the online discount (10%) and the moving orbit discount (10%). That is ridiculously expensive for a do-it-yourself move in my opinion, especially since I have such a small amount of stuff.

I guess now you have me leaning towards BE, but I'm still very worried about doing this. I would spend the extra couple hundred dollars over ABF since BE has very few bad reviews compared to ABF. I am just going to have problems coordinating helpers to load and unload the truck in this case.

Is there no chance of finding a good agent of a big full-service mover in the area? I think I just waited to long to start researching full service movers, because none of them can get my stuff there by April 1st now.

I think if I knew for sure that the very worst case scenario I would get my stuff by April 11th and pay at the very most the $1,661 that they quoted me for, I would use Republic. But your statements about them have me all the way back to square one. Now I'm at a loss for what to do.

And I'm starting to get pretty :x I'm learning how stressful moving can be.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:24 pm

Russ,

I can understand where you're coming from, and I'm sorry if I've contributed to your stress. I know it isn't easy, but I don't think things are as bad as you may think.

Regarding Republic, these are the actual words of the email that I got from the moverpro I was quoting:
if we ever hear someone getting a quote from Republic, they need to stay away!
Because some of the moverpros work for the very van lines they are talking about, I can't tell you who said it, but I can tell you that this is a pretty strong statement compared to the way this person normally talks. Most likely, what would happen is that service would be poor and the shipment would arrive late. You would not be in a hostage freight situation, however. You might be willing to accept this outcome as a tradeoff for the low price.

I can't predict how long your shipment might take to arrive, but it is very small so it will take longer. Have you investigated other agents of major van lines? Eckert's in San Marcos is another NAVL agent that has good comments here and it would probably be more honest about transit times than Republic. Atlas, an Allied agent (confusing, I know) at www.atlasallied.com, also has a couple of good reviews on this board. Before giving up on using an agent of a van line, I would talk to those two companies. I don't know how their quotes would compare with the ones you have but they might be comparable. Tell them that the delivery date is really important to you and you want them to give you a realistic idea of when it would be.

I saw Michael browsing the board and since he didn't comment on your post maybe he felt that he couldn't add much.

You could book with BE on Monday and then cancel if you find something better. Finding labor to load and unload shouldn't be much of a problem since you have so little stuff. In San Diego just you and the driver and maybe one other person might be able to do it, and in Raleigh, ask Michael and I think he'll be able to help you find some people.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:33 pm

Russ,

Someone who moved from San Diego has just posted a very positive review of Atlas Allied - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=28532 - one more piece of evidence that you should call them.

In contrast to what the moverpro I quoted above said about Republic (blue font above), this is what the same person said about Atlas Allied:

That Allied agent [Atlas] is fantastic . . . One of their employees, Nat Prassel, was the CMSA chapter president for San Diego last year. He's a really nice guy . . . They are an award winning agency for Allied, and I would have NO qualms about someone moving with them.

Note the difference in tone. BTW this person doesn't work for Allied but for a competitor.

rufusmwilliams

Postby rufusmwilliams » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:46 am

will if you want my input atlas allied is one of the best companies out there but pack n crate is a good moving company but bekins does have a bad rep but they are working on it maybe you have them confuse with bekins in el cajon

Return to “Open Community”