MOISHE'S vs. BIG JOHN'S vs. VOLT RELOCATIONS (NYC)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Wood

MOISHE'S vs. BIG JOHN'S vs. VOLT RELOCATIONS (NYC)

Postby Wood » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:01 pm

Can anyone give me reviews asap?

Thank you.

:shock:

Diane

Re: MOISHE'S vs. BIG JOHN'S vs. VOLT RELOCATIONS (NYC)

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:25 pm

Are you moving locally or long distance? In a nutshell:

Volt Relocation appears to be unlicensed, or at least I can't find anything about it on www.safersys.org. The website has coupons and a generally scammy look. It says they have a carpet cleaning business on the side, a bad sign. Avoid.

Moishe's is probably OK for a local move but I would not use it for a long-distance move.

Big John's (MC 220901) has a mediocre report here from "ringlah" for an estimator's visit for a local move. Probably about the same quality as Moishe's.

You can do a search on the last two on this website to see what has been said about them.

It might be time to look at some alternatives.

Wood

Postby Wood » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:40 pm

Moving from NYC to Orlando

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:58 pm

In a nutshell, since you seem to be a person of few words:

According to comments on this board, good representatives of major van lines in the NYC area include University Van Lines (Atlas) in Rahway, NJ, and A Colonial (Mayflower) in Edison, NJ. Just recently someone has come on to ask about Gold Service Movers (Wheaton) in White Plains, NY, which has a very good review on Epinions - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2873 Flatbush Moving Company in Brooklyn (718-236-8900) is another Wheaton agent that has good comments here.

Cheaper and still very good would be Delancey Street-NY (845-278-0314) if they have a van going to FL when you want to move, Broadway Express at www.broadwayexpress.net (54 reviews at the top of the messageboard), or ABF at www.upack.com. The last two are freight companies where you load and they drive. You have to hire loading and unloading labor. They would be the cheapest way to go. Delancey Street is full-service. See this thread for a discussion of these three companies - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2775 To get a cheap price and still get a good quality move you have to contribute some of your own labor. There is no free ride.

You should click on the smiley face above left to read an essential article on how to find a reputable mover.

I see that you asked about Scanio on another thread. Do a search here on the name and you'll see that people have had major doubts about them.

I also want to modify what I said above about Big John's. Someone in the industry in NYC (a competitor, actually) tells me that they are actually very good. Possibly their estimator didn't want "ringlah's" job for some reason, or was having a bad day, but he says that the company itself has a good reputation and is in no way comparable to Moishe's.

Pradeep

Postby Pradeep » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:35 pm

I had used Moishe's 5 yrs ago from Jersey City, NJ to Fremont, CA and was very happy with the move for most part. It was a 2 BR apt move and the only thing damaged was - an expensive (for me) DVD player and an antique sofa. They paid for Sofa repair but for DVD, they said, you never showed us that it worked before. Since I had another DVD player, I didn't bother.

However, now we may make reverse move, and when I called them yesterday, I got a quote within 30 seconds with no second question asked. I asked them if they need to know anything else - piano, car to be moved, etc... (they don't but can recommend a transporter). That doesn't sound too good to me.

I just started scanning this group and it is great.

Thanks,

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:59 pm

I agree, that quote was too quick and too low on questions. Review the article on the upper left side of this page and get some inhome estimates. Then report back to us and we'll help you discern the names and numbers.

Return to “Open Community”