Moving from upstate N.Y. to Hilton Head s.c.

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
woodsy

Moving from upstate N.Y. to Hilton Head s.c.

Postby woodsy » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:53 am

Glad that I found this board as it is VERY informative!! We will be moving this summer from N.Y. 2 hours north of NYC to Hilton Head, sc. We are going to sell a lot of funriture before we leave but still have furniture to go down PLUS many boxes. Has anybody heard of Arnoff moving company which is suppose to be linked with North american moving lines?? Or does anybody know of a reputable moving company in our area?? Woodbourne, N.Y> any help or comments would be appreciated

twalker
Site Admin

Re: Moving from upstate N.Y. to Hilton Head s.c.

Postby twalker » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:44 am

Hi woodsy,

While I'm not personally familiar with Arnoff they have been in business a long time (incorporated in 1984) which is a good sign. They are an agent for North American Van Lines, and own their own 200,000 sq ft warehouse. I think that this would be a good company to get an estimate from, but try to get two more estimates from other companies in your area so you have something to compare against.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:26 am

Tim

Thanks for you rreply. My husband doesn't know whether to use broadway express or a regular moving company as we hope to sell a lot of furniture before we go so it won't be a full load. He is getting a bid from arnoff next week.

woodsy

Postby woodsy » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:36 pm

Got a "quote" from this company and tell me what you think. I think this is outrageously "high" quote? It is for 8400 pounds so they estimate but We are selling a LOT before we move and basically have an oak bedroom set, Oak entertainment center,oak desk, two mattress's 2 end talbles, a large rolling tool box, clothes and about 50-60 boxes. This is a 900 miles trip. Here is their quote

$8797,00 60% discount if not shipped durning peak season $4536.53
$8797.00 50% discount Peak shipping $5670.66
$8797.00 55% mid peak $5103.61

Opinions, suggestions?

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:19 pm

I just went on the BE website at http://www.broadwayexpress.net/household.html and it looks as if it would cost you around $1800 for 15 linear feet and around $2300 for 20 linear feet of space. Without knowing the dimensions of your furniture and boxes, it's hard for me to know exactly how much space you would need, but one advantage of going with BE is that weight doesn't matter, and it seems as if you have some heavy things. BE is normally about 40% less than the cost of a full-service mover--sometimes much less than that.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:43 am

Ask the estimator for a copy of the cube sheet he used to get the weight and then compare it to what you believe you are shipping. This will tell you how he arrived at the weight and what he assumes you are moving.

Return to “Open Community”