Chicago - Rate these movers that I am considering

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
lindsey_own

Re: Chicago - Rate these movers that I am considering

Postby lindsey_own » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:47 pm

Hi - I just posted a review (a rave review? :oops: sorry) of a company I used a few years ago... Jim Fitton is the owner and also participates in the loads. They are local only and members of Illinois Movers' and Warehousemen's Association. Check 'em out and see what you think: Dels Movers http://www.delsmovers.com/

- Lindsey

Postby GUEST » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:03 pm

If you want to judge a company by BBB complaints I ask everyone to make one consideration. In specific about Golan's moving. Golan's services close to 8,000 local and long distance moves per year. And to only have 6 or less people feel the need to complain is damn good in my book. There are plenty of moving companies with 1 or 2 less but they don't do that level of work. If you want the bigger picture use percentages.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:47 am

Yes, but the mover whose name I snipped from Jess's post is a very large company with a major van line and has NO complaints. 6 of 8,000 maybe a small percentage, but I personally would choose zero over 6, and I think others would, too.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:50 am

Wait, I just checked Golan's BBB report.

The Bureau processed a total of 25 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total of 25 complaints closed in 36 months, 8 were closed in the last year.

These complaints concerned:

4 Delivery,
1 Service / Repairs,
1 Warranty / Guarantee,
2 Product Quality,
2 Unfulfilled Contract,
14 Customer Service, and
1 Credit or Billing Issues.

Where'd you get 6 from?

movingfromChicago

Postby movingfromChicago » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:30 am

I haven't moved yet, but I have heard rave reviews (not here) personally about GRAEBEL. I had never heard of them before. Anyone have? Txs.

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:53 am

In Chicago, Affordable is the company that many high end designers use to store furniture as it comes in and then to deliver the furniture to the designer's client. I have heard of Golans and know nothing about them. I have used Raffe Movers and they are very reputable (it is family owned and I believe located in Skokie). I have also used Reebie (in Chicago). Anderson is another reputable company in Chicago. One thing about movers, no matter how reputable, you must stress over and over during the move to the actual men doing the job, that you will be very upset if they bang the walls and follow them as they move big pieces. I did this with Raffe and the guys were very sympathetic to my concerns as I followed them with every big piece and they did absolutely no damage. You must be proactive no matter how reputable.

Good luck. I will be doing a long distance move soon and am looking for a long distance mover from Chicago to San Francisco.

GNWtransplant

Postby GNWtransplant » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:20 pm

I used Planet Cargo for a long-distance move from Chicago to Seattle. :cry: The actual moving costs came in at $1,000 over the quote, they dragged my furniture down three flights of hardwood stairs in my building and they promised that my belongings would arrive in 7-21 days. Today is day 23 and I still have no guarantee on when my belongings will arrive. I've been sleeping on the floor for 23 days and am set to start a new job. I have no business clothes to wear though because they're on a truck in moving never-never land somewhere. I've gotten nothing but the run around from these people. When I moved from Seattle to Chicago just two months prior, Allied Van Lines, was able to track my shipment the entire way. If you get a quote from any mover who will not accept a credit card for payment, keep looking. Shady movers don't want to accept credit cards because you can dispute the charges if you are not satisfied. Use anyone BUT PLANET CARGO!!!

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:29 pm

Hi GNWtransplant,

I'm sorry that you're having to go through this, however, it would be helpful if you could file a complaint with MovingScam.com once you get your belongings so that we have documentation on file. While complaints are not the only factor in deciding if a company should be included on the black list, they are most often the first thing that I look at.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

ChicagoGirl

Postby ChicagoGirl » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:31 pm

Do not use Jay Movers!!

They screwed me over big-time. Here are my complaints:

Late arriving to the first and only appointment they had that day (supposed to be there at 8:30, arrived at 9:10). The first time we called, coordinator said he would check and call back to let us know when they would arrive...no call. Called back a second time, told us the same thing. Finally called back and said they were "in the area". Arrived 20 minutes later.

Movers tried to scam us on the travel fee - told us it was an hour cost, when luckily we knew that it was actually only a half an hour's cost.

Wrapped only two pieces of our furniture - not the rest. Ended up damaging our very expensive wood dresser. Did not adequately explain insurance policy (email failed to go through, they failed to notice), so ended up getting only 30cents per pound for the damage.

Overall, cared more about getting done in as fast a time as possible, rather than being careful with our stuff. Paid for minimum of two hours, but they were finished in an hour.

I would not recommend using these movers at all. Spend the extra $20 an hour on a different service.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:58 pm

This was a move within the city of Chicago?

Return to “Open Community”