California intrastate move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Fi

California intrastate move

Postby Fi » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:58 pm

I am moving from the Bay Area to San Diego and have so far received two estimates (still waiting for the third):

1. Thomas Transfer & Storage (Atlas Van Lines agent)
2. Graebel
3. NOR-CAL (Allied Van Lines agent)

The weight estimate was approx. the same for 1. and 2., but 2. was about $1000 cheaper due to some discounts ( he said "they like to keep the vans moving throughout the country" was the reason for the discount). All three look good on BBB, Safer web, AMSA websites.

Does anybody have any advice/recommendations? Should the discount worry me?

thanks so much,
Fi

Diane

Re: California intrastate move

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:32 pm

Was this Graebel Erickson in Milpitas? They just gave "Georgia_Bound" a very low quote for an interstate move. Not sure what's going on there or whether you should be worried, but in general, you have a lot more protections on an intrastate move than on an interstate move, so it's probably OK.

Nor-Cal (Allied) is considered very good by the movingpros posting here.

Fi

Postby Fi » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:32 am

yes, it was Graebel Erickson in Milpitas

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:38 am

I am going to send an email to a friend who knows a lot about Graebel to see what he says. Meanwhile, you might want to get a quote from Delancey Street Movers in San Francisco, which is a special kind of moving company that has many good reviews on this website and often has very good pricing. This is a thread bringing together all the reviews and giving contact information - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2377 The most knowledgeable people to talk with there are Greg and Ollie. Delancey Street is a full-service mover and I have complete confidence in them.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:55 pm

My friend said that Graebel was expecting a year-over-year growth in revenue of 20% this year whereas it is turning out to be only about 5%, so they are discounting heavily for both in-state and interstate moves. I don't see any huge red flags as long as the driver that picks your stuff up will deliver it and the driver will have sufficient help for unloading in San Diego rather than just hiring transients off the street.

Fi

Postby Fi » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:01 am

THanks so much for all your help and suggestions!

Return to “Open Community”