Need help, Moving my gal from San Diego. Ca. to Phila., PA.

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Hogwildz

Need help, Moving my gal from San Diego. Ca. to Phila., PA.

Postby Hogwildz » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:17 pm

I am in the process of moving my woman from San Diego, Ca. to Phila.,PA. We dont have the luxury of a moving co doing an in house wlkthru , I have gotten several quotes on phone & online, ( I know, but its my only option) A few came up bad on BBB & movingscam sites succh as this. I still have in the running, Cybermove, quoting by weight,All-City Movers quoting by weight and U-Save on moving a subsidary of VanLiners, quoting by c.f. I was leaning to U-Save on Moving, they have one complaint at BBB, and thats all I seen bad. Not listed here or elsewhere on the blacklists. Andyone from San Diego area or who can offer sopme help or advice at all would be greatly appreciated. I am basically going to tap my savings reserve to do this move. Thanks
Hogwildz

consumer advocate

Re: Need help, Moving my gal from San Diego. Ca. to Phila.,

Postby consumer advocate » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:33 pm

The DOT website that allows us to check mover information is down right now so I'm not able to check on these particular movers. However, I will say that hiring a mover over the phone or the internet GREATLY increases your chance of being scammed. Please don't do it, particularly if you are tapping your savings account to pay for it. You may think you don't have the luxury of having an in-home estimate, but you should ask yourself if you are prepared to lose all of your savings to get your girlfriend's belongings back when the scam mover you hire holds her things hostage.

Hogwildz

Postby Hogwildz » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:46 pm

Thank you for yer advose, My situation is this, I guess I can try and have her find a company in San Diego and have them do a walk thru. Im only talking a partial house of stuff, maybe 3500-4500 lbs. I found another from the BBB site called Sullivan Moving & Storage, Im going to have her all them tomorrow if I can. The BBB says they are satisfatory in the BBB eyes. No complaints, and have been in business for quite a few years. I am in Philly so I really dont have much to say on the Cali side. I will def continue to shop around, the other problem is she needs to be out of where she is by around the 24th of this Month, I am not letting the movers know its a must, but just telling them we are shooting for the 24th or so. Plz keep any help u have coming, thanks alot ,
Hog

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:55 pm

Hogwildz,

If you decide to continue to find a moving company using the path that you are following, then I suggest that you write down the following address:

:arrow: http://www.movingscam.com/fileComplaints.shtml

You're not the first to come here and say that you have no choice but to use the internet brokers, and I promise you that you won't be the last. What I can also promise you is that the complaints that I receive are almost exclusively from the types of companies that you are pursuing.

If you think that the price that they give you is going to tap out your bank account then you may also want to contact a loan officer in advance. It is not uncommon for scam companies to demand 3-5 times the amount given on the original phone/internet estimate. Make sure that you budget for at least two months of not having any of your belongings available to you... clothes, kitchet items, your bed(s), chairs, a television, etc.

If you change your mind about how you want to hire a moving company, I'd suggest starting off with the article on this web site titled "How to Find a Reputable Mover". It should get you going in the right direction and hopefully save yourself frustration that I'm pretty sure you're about to find yourself in. With any luck I won't be getting a complaint form from you about your move.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Hogwildz

Postby Hogwildz » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:02 am

Oh,
I am not set in stone in using an online company,
thats why I am here to try and avoid any problems.
I am def taking what you say into serious consideration.
Do u think any of the companies listed in the BBB are up to snuff?
What would you do if you were me? The only other thing I can do is have my g/f have some companies we can find local to her come and do walkthroughs. I am still lokking at what the Better Business Bureau has listed as members. Do ya think thats a better way to go?
thanks ,
Hog

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:19 am

Hogwildz,

I really only trust the BBB when they list a company as having an unsatisfactory rating. Remember that the BBB is a business just like any other; they are in it to make a profit. The way that they make a profit is to have their members listed in their directory. For their members to be listed, their members pay a fee. Now, if you're a member paying a fee to be listed in their directory and they have given you an unsatisfactory rating, how long do you think that you'll continue to pay that fee? Probably not very long. So for the BBB, it is in their best financial interest to list their members as having a satisfactory rating.

In San Diego you're probably going to have a HUGE listing of moving companies in the yellow pages. You might ask your girlfriend to call some real estate companies and ask them who they recommend. Also hiring managers at larger companies usually have experience dealing with moving companies and often make good references. Obviously freinds, coworkers, relatives may be a good source of reference.

The main thing is to have several (at least three) companies who will actually come to the house and do an in-home estimate. I would never, ever hire a moving company that themselves wouldn't insist on that process taking place. The rest is pretty much just research and we can help you with that. As you've seen, there are usually volunteers here day or night who will respond to your questions pretty quickly and try to help you out.

Hope that helps!

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:47 am

There are several very well respected movers in the San Diego area, and while I cannot recommend any here, if you ask friends, relatives, or co workers, I'm sure the names will surface.

I personally know the owners of the 2 largest and oldest.

You mentioned leaning towards one quoting you by the cu ft. Bad idea. Cubic feet can be inflated, and there is no documentation to prove one way or another.

Get your shipment estimated by weight, and request to view the weighing, and always ask for a copy of the weight certificate. The weight certificate should be imprinted, and not written on a piece of paper or generic form.

All legitimate scales have imprinted tickets with the name of the scale clearly indicated, and the weighmaster's signature.

Lee

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:58 am

scuze the spellin its late here in cali ...

Hog u shur seme tuff, but yr not gonna get ovr on the scammrs ... sure as u wer born nekkid, thos compnys ur talkin 2 wil tak ur $$$ & also wrek yr womuns stuf ... n yull fele lk offin the guyz whut did it 2 u ... but u wont b able 2 do nuthin bout it ... so yull looz yr mind ... it hapned 2 a guy i no ... hiz names ty ...

heres whut 2 do ... git on the i-net at www.broadwayexpress.net & ask fer a guy name uv Don Girard ... ther cheep & wont scrue u ... they brng a truk ... u hav 2 lode it but the drivr wil hlp ur lady lode ifn she givs him lyke 100 dollurs xtra ... or may bee u hav sum frends in S.Diego ...

broadway xpress did a gd job fer 4-5 peepul on this website ... hope this hlps ... im goin 2 lite a candul now fer u, Hog ... pls be safe not sorrie!

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:06 am

I'm pretty sure that Cybermove is an alias of All American Van Lines. Avoid them!

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:17 pm

OMG Diane, your bilingual, I never knew, lmao. :) :) :) :) :)
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

HorribleMover

Postby HorribleMover » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:48 am

Do not move with this company! They have only been in business for a short time and are operating illegally outside the limitations of their license. The FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) website shows that they have had their license involuntariy revoked and that 58% of the time, their drivers have failed inspection. Go to www.fmcsa.dot.gov and do a company snap shot. Their USDOT number is 1124473.

I made a serious mistake and now have about $12,000 of damage that they want to pay only $300 for! I'm in the process of trying to collect and if not, I'll file a lawsuit.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:24 am

For those who may be confused by the Guest's post just above, he is talking about U-Save-On Moving, Inc., which was one of the companies "Hogwildz" was considering.

And for those who may be confused by my post just above THAT, I never thought I would see it again but I guess people can't escape their past. I was just kind of at the end of my rope because Hog wouldn't listen to our warnings and I was trying to get through to him in the style of his website at http://hogwildz.com. Maybe I succeeded because we never heard from him again.

Hogwildz

Postby Hogwildz » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:52 pm

Hi all,
Sorry for not posting back. My new family has been here since March of 2004 and we got a good mover. I did take your advice, had her call some local movers there, and she had a few do walkthroughs. We went with Allied Van Lines, I think, will have her dig the paperwork out when she can. Nothing missing, costed us actually less than we were quoted( big grin) and the guys were nice and efficient. Got one nick in the drywall going up the steps, but no big deal, it was a very big, heavy old dresser and if thats all that happened I was pleased. I was also surprised they charged less than they quoted. It was weighed, and I think she got a copy of the slip. After she was here and we didn't get ripped off or damaged goods, I was happy and my new family being here made me even more happier. She drove across country and the movers actually made it here before her LOL. So I can say that we were lucky, and I did take much advice into concideration from you fine folks. And it was a very easy, pleasant experience. And again, cost less than I was thinking :P . Thanks again to all, and hope this fills in anyone that was wondering. now yer informed Diane LOL. hugz & handshakes accordingly.
Hog

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:22 pm

Hog,

Glad it worked out for you, and again, I apologize that I sort of went off the deep end there. We get kind of silly around here sometimes because of repeating ourselves so much.

If your mover was Atlas Transfer and Storage with website www.atlasallied.com, that is an Allied Van Lines agent in San Diego (Poway) that has very good reviews and comments here. I'll add your good report to the others we have. Thanks for letting us know what happened.

Diane

Hogwildz

Postby Hogwildz » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:13 pm

Hi Diane,
No problemo on the goofy thing, I love goofyness :lol:
Yes I do beleive it was Atlas Aliied Moving, they were really awesome, poor guys though, It was 2 guys, One truck driver from that area in Cali, and the other is a guy he picked up at a local Allied around here to help. But they did a great job. Hugz

Return to “Open Community”