NY, NY to LA, CA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
JamesK

NY, NY to LA, CA

Postby JamesK » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:12 pm

Hi All,

I've been lurking here for about a week reading everything I can find on NY moving companies that will move us to LA.

We're planning on going out without a permanant place to live. We have friends who have graciously given us a temporary place to live so while we hunt for an apartment, we're going to have the contents of our apartment in NY stored in LA.

So far, I've seen good things about University Van Lines (Atlas) and Flatbush Moving Company (Wheaton) so those two are on my list to ask for an estimate.

I had previously used Moishe's for local moves and they were good but as some people have shown here, they are associated with North Star in LA that seems a bit questionable.

I'm trying to narrow down another nationally affliated moving company here in NY. One that isn't a member of Altas or Wheaton since I've already picked two companies with those affliations.

Any help would be appreciated. And I'll update the board as decisions are made. And of course, I will post a review when the process is overwith and I'm in sunny LA.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Diane

Re: NY, NY to LA, CA

Postby Diane » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:20 pm

Hi - I agree with your decision not to use Moishe's for a cross-country move. One person ("carefulamy") did so and there were problems with the crew on the CA end. Also, they require a deposit, which we on this website don't like.

Agents of the major van lines tend to be in NJ because of high rents and insurance costs in Manhattan. These are some that people have spoken well of, besides University: Wade Odell Wade (United) in Midland Park, Applegate (United) in Manasquan, Sinclair (Mayflower) in West Berlin, and American Movers (Global/North American) in Long Branch. There is a good review of Applegate by "sammyk" on this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2824

Some people feel that it's better to use one of the larger van lines rather than Wheaton for a cross-country move because they have more long-haul drivers and delivery time is likely to be less. Also, Wheaton would probably have to keep your shipment in its warehouse in Brooklyn for pickup by the long-haul driver, which (if you're in Manhattan) would be the opposite direction from where you're trying to go. And, recently I have been hearing things about Flatbush that make me less enthusiastic about them than I used to be.

If the full-service movers are too expensive, you can move with a U-Pack We-Drive company like ABF or Broadway Express for about 40% less. Broadway Express would charge you about $2175 to move the contents of a 2BR apartment. You can go to its website cost calculator to get estimates for other size residences - http://www.broadwayexpress.net/household.html See the 87 reviews of BE on the sticky at the top of the messageboard. The FAQ sheet on ABF and BE, also on a sticky, explains how these companies operate.

JamesK

Postby JamesK » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:28 pm

Diane,

Thanks so much... I was actually hoping to get a reply from you!

Anyway, I'm now leading toward Applegate (United), Dahill (Mayflower) and and maybe American (Global).

Applegate sounds good too but it seems their agent doesn't list them for NY, NY. Which is a little strange. I guess since Manasquan is 60+ miles from the city, it would probably take them 1.5 hrs to get to us in manhattan.

On local moves, I've been charged for the time it took for people to get from their warehouse to our house so I'm guessing it may cost us if we went with them. But then since 60 miles is not a huge deal for a 3000+ mile move, I'm gonna consider them too.

Dahill seems to be liked by Diane in many posts, do you still like them? I may be a willing guinea pig if University doesn't work out.

BTW, we have roughly 2 bedrooms worth of stuff. Actually a 1 bedroom (pretty filled) and a 13'x20' storage space in Brooklyn.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:59 pm

JamesK wrote:Anyway, I'm now leading toward Applegate (United), Dahill (Mayflower) and and maybe American (Global).

Applegate sounds good too but it seems their agent doesn't list them for NY, NY. Which is a little strange. I guess since Manasquan is 60+ miles from the city, it would probably take them 1.5 hrs to get to us in manhattan.

I think you may have meant Wade Odell Wade in your first sentence, right? Also, I think American Movers will probably be too far from you, too, if Applegate was. I don't really know how far estimators are willing to go to do quotes, but I would say that 60 miles is a stretch.

Another United agent, Nassau on Long Island, has a good report on this board although Nassau didn't use its own truck to haul the shipment - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2912. Someone was very favorably impressed with their estimator, Dan Kilkeary - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3326 You might want to get a quote from them instead of WOW.

Dahill seems to be liked by Diane in many posts, do you still like them? I may be a willing guinea pig if University doesn't work out.

The basis for my prior commentary about Dahill is this. There is a company in NYC that I think is very good, based on many good reviews and many conversations with its owner. That company is All Star Moving in Brooklyn. Since All Star doesn't do really long-distance moves, I asked its owner which companies he recommends if the move is cross-country. He said Dahill. That's how I came to know about Dahill. I've talked with a higher-up there named Bruce Keeler who sounded OK.

Also, a friend of mine who owns a Mayflower agency has told me that Dahill has behaved very professionally with him and that its quality scores in the Mayflower rating system are at least average (nothing worrisome, in other words). So, although we have no reviews on this website, I think you would be safe with Dahill. However, I feel much more confident about University because of all the good reviews we have. I am really feeling my way in this almost as much as you are because I'm all the way out here in CA trying to sort out the good guys from the bad guys and everybody in between.

luisitoahumada

Postby luisitoahumada » Mon May 09, 2005 7:50 pm

Jamesk & Diane:

I am in the same situation, I am moving from New York to Palo Alto California and have been reviewing the same companies you have James. If you don't mind me asking, which did you finally choose? I also read good reviews for All Star Moving, but am hesitant given that it doesn't seem to experienced with long distance moves. Anyway, I really don't mind paying a premium for a high-quality mover. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks guys!

Regards,

Luis

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon May 09, 2005 7:52 pm

For that long a move, you'd probably have better luck going with an agent of a major van line, especially if you don't mind paying for the surety. All Star has several trucks, but may not be willing to go that far.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon May 09, 2005 8:07 pm

MM is right . . . All Star has only 9 trucks and won't go to CA. For a move of this distance you should use an agent of a major van line, in my opinion, or else a freight company (ABF or BE) if cost is a concern. The van lines with the best ratings on Epinions are United and Atlas. In the NYC area, Nassau (United) performed well for somebody but All Chicagoland was the actual hauler. University Van Lines (Atlas) also did OK but again, for the long-distance moves another Atlas company was the hauler. I think that Moving Man is a good Wheaton agent, but again, it won't haul your load. Same, probably, with Dahill (Mayflower). I can't think of any NYC agent of a major van line that would actually haul it to CA. You have to sort of bank on the overall reputation of the van line in these cases.

JamesK

Postby JamesK » Tue May 10, 2005 9:21 am

My wife is scheduling appointments with Dahill, Nassau and University. So far she's been annoyed with Dahill and Nassau's receptionists for not knowing the answers to some simple questions but they're still in the running. University's receptionists seemed to know all the answers to our questions and made a great first impression on the wife.

When estimates are in, I'll post them here.

luisitoahumada

Postby luisitoahumada » Tue May 10, 2005 11:06 am

Diane wrote:MM is right . . . All Star has only 9 trucks and won't go to CA. For a move of this distance you should use an agent of a major van line, in my opinion, or else a freight company (ABF or BE) if cost is a concern. The van lines with the best ratings on Epinions are United and Atlas. In the NYC area, Nassau (United) performed well for somebody but All Chicagoland was the actual hauler. University Van Lines (Atlas) also did OK but again, for the long-distance moves another Atlas company was the hauler. I think that Moving Man is a good Wheaton agent, but again, it won't haul your load. Same, probably, with Dahill (Mayflower). I can't think of any NYC agent of a major van line that would actually haul it to CA. You have to sort of bank on the overall reputation of the van line in these cases.

Thanks Diane for your reply! Quick question. Do you know the website for United, Atlas and University? I've tried to google them, but i just want to make sure they are the same ones you are talking about. Also which do you think is better United or University? Thanks again, and sorry for being such a pain :D .

Regards,

Luis

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 10, 2005 11:10 am

James,

You make a really good point. The companies should pay more attention to how important the phone-answerers are in nailing down business. If a person sounds alert and knowledgeable and speaks clearly, right away that makes a positive impression. In my opinion, they should also answer the phone with the name of the company rather than just "Hello." And then they could also add, "This is XXX speaking." Otherwise I always feel that there is a furtive quality to the conversation.

Regarding the individuals your wife is speaking with, I don't know who answers the phone at Nassau, but the person who usually answers at Dahill is Maria (I won't say her last name), who has been there for 32 years and is known as "the voice of Dahill." Personally I love her Brooklyn accent and others have told me that they have called her just to experience it, but I wouldn't expect her to provide detailed information about the company's activities. The person who usually answers at University is Monica, and I understand that she is far more than a phone-answerer--she does virtually everything around the place except drive the trucks.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 10, 2005 12:10 pm

Luis,

You aren't a pain. But you're mixing names of van lines like United and Atlas with names of individual companies like University. Here is the contact information for some companies that have good reviews or comments here:

United: Wade Odell Wade in NJ (http://www.wowmoving.com), Nassau Worldwide Movers on Long Island (http://www.nwwm.net/).

Atlas: University Van Lines in NJ (phone 732-882-1060; I don't think they have a website but they should probably get one)

United and Atlas are the top-rated van lines on Epinions.com. It's just a matter of who you feel comfortable with. If I had to make a choice, I would put University first just because we have so many good reviews of it. I would put Wade Odell Wade second because of good comments about it by University's estimator Bill Quigley and Nassau third because we have only two reviews so far (one was just as a booking agent and the other was NYC to DC).

Return to “Open Community”