Moving without house visit for estimate?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Moving without house visit for estimate?

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:23 pm

Hi all -
Thanks much for great info throughout. I will be moving from a remote (3 hours to Denver) mountain town (Steamboat Springs, CO) to Bay Area (San Mateo) around the 18th of May. This is a work relocation and my company has provided 2 companies they work with (Cor-o-van/N. American & Alexander's/Atlas) - both of which get good to great reviews here. I have quotes from both at this point. I also have quote from Vector/Mayflower based in SF and Conroy/Wheaton based here in Steamboat. All of the quotes are based on weight estimate (10,200 lbs) I provided them (more on that below), and thus fairly similar (e.g. only real difference is in discount % thus far - which I can still negotiate on). The services included in the estimates are packing, transportation and 30 days storage.

Weight estimate: I moved here (from the Bay Area) almost a year ago, thus have my actual weight number from that move. That is why the estimates I have thus far are based on weight numbers I provided - I am very confident that the weight will be the same or less. BTW, I used Vector the last time and had a great experience overall with them.
Based on research from that move and what I have seen here, I am happy with each of the 4 I have estimates from, but I do have a few questions due to somewhat unique situation I am in:

1a) Since Steamboat is 3+ hours from the nearest regional office for three of them (Alexanders, Cor-o-Van, Vector - all located in Denver), they have all questioned doing a home visit to do an official walk-through estimate. Again, I am not worried about weight, but more wondering if not having them do that walk through affects the contract, their liability, etc? If it is important to have that done, should I just flat out eliminate any that refuse to make the 3+ hour drive?
1b) Is it bad practice to work with a company based in the destination location rather than the origination location? Conroy/Wheaton is right now higher $$ then the others by about $500, but he is local, has visited the house, etc. As mentioned, the other 3 are all located in the bay area.

2) Should I lean towards working with one of the 2 that my new company recommended - e.g. do movers provide better service/better response toi claims/etc for company relocation related moves than for individuals since recurring business is much more part of the equation?

3) For storage, the 3 based in the Bay Area would do storage in the Bay Area. I have read here that doing storage at point of origin is often better, but in this case it would mean a "local" move of 3+ hours to the storage facilities in Denver, and thus likely more cost for me. Any reason why I would still want to try and do a point of origin store given this situation?

4) Since I had a good experience with Vector last year, can I assume they will be just as good again? I guess part of the question is whether a good/bad experience is based more on the local office rep I work with, the driver and help, or the moving company?

5) Since I know (and am confident about) the weight, is there less risk with doing the non-binding contract (I think that is the right one - the one where I just pay for actual weight) - #3 option in the article written by Tyrone.

Thanks in advance for this help!!!

Diane

Re: Moving without house visit for estimate?

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:07 pm

Hi - you don't say whether your employer is paying for the move, but I'm assuming that it is.

Anonymous wrote:1) Is it bad practice to work with a company based in the destination location rather than the origination location?

No. (See #2.) Also, someone who posts here whose opinion I respect (IMP) used to recommend moving with a company located at destination since it makes it easier to deal with any problems that could occur.

2) Should I lean towards working with one of the 2 that my new company recommended - e.g. do movers provide better service/better response toi claims/etc for company relocation related moves than for individuals since recurring business is much more part of the equation?

My opinion:- yes and yes.

3) Any reason why I would still want to try and do a point of origin store given this situation?

No. In your situation it's better to have your things stored at destination because it will be easier for you to get them delivered when you need them. If they're back in Colorado, there could be bottlenecks and possible delivery delays this summer.

4) Since I had a good experience with Vector last year, can I assume they will be just as good again? I guess part of the question is whether a good/bad experience is based more on the local office rep I work with, the driver and help, or the moving company?

Not sure but the driver is very important. This is kind of irrelevant though in view of #2.

5) Since I know (and am confident about) the weight, is there less risk with doing the non-binding contract (I think that is the right one - the one where I just pay for actual weight) - #3 option in the article written by Tyrone.

My opinion:- yes. I doubt whether anyone would give you a GNTE anyway without seeing the goods. However, if Conroy has done an on-site estimate you could ask the two SF companies to quote on that weight.

Hope this helps as a start.

Michael

Re: Moving without house visit for estimate?

Postby Michael » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:32 am

I agree with most of what Diane recommends. I will throw my two cents in.

1. :arrow: Unless you plan on spending a lot of time at the agents location/office, then no I dont think it matters who you use, origin or destination. Most of your time will be on the phone and most if not all have 800 numbers. I believe Alexanders has agents in your destination area also. :arrow: Sometimes its hard to ask one of your sales people to drive three hours for a one hour appt and back, thats a whole day of work for one shipment you dont even have booked. So in your case, I can understand, no saying I agree, but I understand.

2. :arrow: agreed, yes and yes.

3. :arrow: I agree with Diane again, I know shot me, lol. Store at destination for the same reasons she mentions.

4. :arrow: In Mayflowers case it s the driver. The local office may be great, and you may have had a local move?? but it always comes down to the driver. Good communication is good, but a bad driver can ruin it all.

5. :arrow: Most contract are non binding. The advatage to the contract is stated in question two and you get free valuation usually.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Return to “Open Community”