Galil Moving and Storage / University Van Lines

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Smyers

Galil Moving and Storage / University Van Lines

Postby Smyers » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:15 am

Hi,
We are moving from NJ to MA. I have done a ton of research on moving companies. I have settled on Galil Moving and Storage and am looking for feedback on this company. Thanks in advance for your help!

MusicMom

Re: Galil Moving and Storage

Postby MusicMom » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:40 am

Did your research also show you they've had three license revocation in the last 5 years? They can't seem to keep an insurance policy for more than a few months. Red flag number one.

The one review on Epinions sounds fake.

Press release from the New Jersey Department of Law & Public Safety
Earlier this month, Galil Moving & Storage Inc., (a/k/a Greenway Moving Inc. and Greenway Storage Inc.), and officers Avi Shriki and Lisa Levine agreed to pay New Jersey more than $20,000 for operating without a license. The company also agreed to cease and desist doing business in New Jersey until they are licensed and will pay affected consumers restitution.

This website also shows an AKA of Greenway Moving & Storage, which does not have a separate license.

Are you still thinking about using them? :?: If not, may I bring up that University Van Lines in Rahway has had several good reviews here, and have proven themselves to be a trusted and reputable company.

Smyers

Postby Smyers » Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:57 am

Thanks so much for the info. I am not so sure about University Van Lines either... they are in the BBB under "Atlas Van Lines" (same address in Rahway as University Van Lines) and don't have a good write up. I am feeling like I should rent a truck and do this by myself at this point. This is very frustrating.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:53 am

Atlas Van Lines is the major van line, kindof a parent company. University is the agent, they do moves under Atlas's authority and licenses and insurance. If a problem incurrs on your move, and university needed help, they could call on another Atlas agent along the way to help complete the move.

I'm not sure why the BBB would have a listing for Atlas and not University, and I am also confused as to the BBB report stating they are unsatisfactory for unanswered complaints and information not being given to the BBB.

This press release from Atlas says they've been given high awards for cusotmer service.

Diane, any thoughts?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:04 am

MusicMom wrote:I'm not sure why the BBB would have a listing for Atlas and not University, and I am also confused as to the BBB report stating they are unsatisfactory for unanswered complaints and information not being given to the BBB. . . . Diane, any thoughts?

I was in the NYC area over the past week and I spoke with University's main estimator, Bill Quigley, about this. He said that the company is trying to resolve this unfortunate situation with the BBB.

For a long time, University has not been listed on www.bbb.org - instead, the name "Atlas Van Lines" appears but with University's street address and phone number. Previously, the listing said only that the company had not responded to requests for information, but now, the listing says that "Atlas" at University's address has an unsatisfactory rating.

Bill said that at one point a customer had a bad move when a shipment University Van Lines booked to NM went into the Atlas van line system (i.e. an over-the-road driver for Atlas hauled it) and he thinks this is how the whole thing started. I am just speculating that the dissatisfied customer may have reported his complaint to the BBB under "Atlas Van Lines" but with University's address. Anyway, the company is trying to clear its name with the BBB so let's see what happens. University is not a member of the BBB and (again speculating) I think that it may not have given enough attention to this matter early on, although I noted the problem several months ago. See page 2 of this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3063

Just as a side comment, an individual agent that books a long-distance move, like University, really can't be held wholly responsible for what happens when a shipment goes into the van line system. It's responsible in the sense that it chose to affiliate with that particular van line, but there is a chain of responsibility that comes into play in these situations. The long-haul driver for the van line is supposed to note damages before he loads the shipment onto his truck in the origin city. If no damage is noted, but there is damage noted by the customer when the shipment arrives at destination, then the driver is responsible and he has to pay for it. (If the customer doesn't note damage when the shipment arrives, but sees it later, this is a stickier situation because it becomes a he said/she said controversy.)

The booking agent has no legal responsibility at that point. It is the responsibility of the van line (and the long-haul driver assigned to the move) to make things right. Sometimes an unusually ethical booking agent will step in and try to help the customer negotiate with the van line, but the agent doesn't really have to do this.

To "Smyers"--for a move from NJ to MA you have many good choices, including an agent for a van line like University (Atlas) or Moving Man (Wheaton), an independent company based in NYC (All Star Moving in Brooklyn has excellent reviews here), or Broadway Express if you think you want to do it yourself as you mentioned above. If you do the latter, All Star can often supply loading labor at the rate of $90/hour for three men--$120/hour if they have to bring a vehicle to your residence. I believe that Labor Ready would probably charge less than this but they would not be trained loaders, although the BE driver could supervise them.

Return to “Open Community”