New York to Chicago with White Glove (Bekins)?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jene5978

New York to Chicago with White Glove (Bekins)?

Postby jene5978 » Mon May 02, 2005 1:47 pm

Hi Everyone,

This forum is great - I've been reading through a lot of people's posts, and it's been really helpful.

I'm going to be moving from NYC to Chicago in June - I'm a graduating med student and will be starting residency in Chicago. I've been posting on a med student forum, where Diane replied and I figured it would be more efficient to discuss things here, instead -

So far, I'm just in the stage of tracking down companies for estimates. I'm trying to find good local agents, but I'm running into some trouble getting their correct info to check them out on Safersys and BBB -

I'm trying to find good local agents for United, Allied and North American, but when I check on their websites I can never locate the correct local agents on safersys or BBB - any advice?

The only agent I've been able to get in contact with - University Vanlines in Rahway (which I've seen highly recommended on this forum) says that they are not doing Chicago in the summer.

Thanks!

jene5978

Re: New York to Chicago

Postby jene5978 » Mon May 02, 2005 2:02 pm

correction - atlas, not united.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon May 02, 2005 4:53 pm

Hi - I made inquiries about NAVL agents with someone who should know and the person couldn't recommend any companies. I believe that Dahill Mayflower is reputable although we have no actual reviews. As for United, people have been favorably impressed by Nassau's estimators and one person ("Judy") had them as her booking agent to Chicago and was pleased, although a company called All Chicagoland was the company that actually moved her. I know nothing about Allied agents in the area except that one called Liffey boasted on MovingScam.com that its movers were "full of the blarney"--which I thought was an odd qualification for a moving company. Anyway, here is Judy's thread from last year, which you might find informative - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2912

longislandmove

Postby longislandmove » Tue May 03, 2005 11:51 am

just to say great website - i almost went with one of those internet low balling cubic feet crazy movers until i did some research on your site!!!!

So, just used Nassau Worldwide (a United agent) for a Long Island to Washington, DC move. Didn't have a lot of stuff, I had to do a last minute move, and I had to get my stuff to DC in a hurry with fixed dates (because I am travelling). Had a few estimates, and basically went for a pricey option: pick up one day and delivery the next. At 5000 lb minimum for this service (I was under 5000 but had to pay 5000), it cost me $2700 (with insurance, no deductible). That was a binding estimate.

Plusses: Delivery the next day, it came in on its own truck, the truck was small (30 feet) which was necessary for the city (otherwise with a different company that would have put my stuff on a tractor trailer I definitely would have had to pay a shuttle service fee of around 300-400 bucks), and the driver Chris was SO pro. The sales guy Dom was really good too. Only one who gave me 'Rights and Responsibilities', came by with free boxes. I charged the whole thing on my credit card.

The reason this worked I imagine is because NY-DC is a short distance (same day drive and back)- and despite extra costs, it was nice to know that I had exclusive use of a truck and that my stuff didn't get moved from truck to truck. So I can't say anything about when Nassau has to deal with other United agents for long-hauls, but Nassau's own team were great. That said, haven't gotten my CC bill yet, so i'll keep fingers crossed.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 03, 2005 11:57 am

Thanks so much for reporting back to us on your move. We'll keep it in mind for sure. Someone else really liked Dom (the estimator). Yes, you paid a high price, but sometimes that's the way to go.

If you got other quotes, would you be able to post what they were and from what companies, and how the estimators were from those companies (your impressions)?

longislandmove

Postby longislandmove » Tue May 03, 2005 12:22 pm

I had gotten estimates from:

Molloy Brothers (Mayflower): they had offered pretty much the same thing as Nassau- and since United and Mayflower are owned by the same company, no surprises there. And in fact Molloy's discount was higher, so I would have probably paid about 2400 with them (including the same insurance). But I was less impressed with their estimator- no documentation, badmouthed other companies, didn't use the super useful PDA-printer thing that Dom had. Plus, Molloy wouldn't make my estimate binding. He assured me it wouldn't go over 5000lb (which is true) but I really wanted a firm price.

Chas Wood and Sons (Paul Arpin): the cheapest option- offered to put my stuff on a tractor trailer going down to Florida. So no guarantees on dates (had to fill up the truck first). Got a binding estimate for about 1300 (without insurance). Would have definitely had to pay an extra 300 or so for a shuttle (although they said it wouldn't have been necessary....how would they know?) Estimator was nice guy, but had no papers, nothing with him, didn't write anything down.

I had a final appointment with All American Van Lines. Guy was caught in traffic and couldn't make the appointment. That was enough for me to say 'nope'.

Dom told me that 18 wheelers are not allowed in center city DC after 9/11- don't know if that's true or not....but it makes a difference!

So finally, I did go for the most expensive option. Dom was a great estimator, talked me through everything, down to how the inventory worked, and made the sale! Just goes to show how important that person is.

Anyway, my stuff is sitting next to me and safe, and Chris hauled a couch up 3 flights of stairs because the elevator was too small.....I would try and get him as your driver! I had everybody's cell phone and was in constant contact with them. Very good experience.

Molloy would have probably been fine too, although I remember reading some pretty bizarre postings from Molloy people on this site.

Just for information, the internet types working on cubic feet were all giving me estimates of around $900 (without insurance). Some were quoting me hourly rates, treating it as a local move. Eek.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 03, 2005 12:34 pm

Thanks again for this valuable information. I would be interested in what the Molloy estimator said about the other companies, but I guess that would be too personal for you to post (?). If you have time you could sign up for membership here and send me a Private Message about it.

jene5978

Postby jene5978 » Mon May 09, 2005 9:00 pm

Hi Everyone,

After a brief absence from updating my experiences, I have recieved 4 estimates - here they are:

1) Bekins - through White Glove - $3295 guaranteed price (no more, no less) for 3600 lbs, at 62% discount, with full valuation at 0 deductible included. This is the physician relocation deal I mentioned in my previous posting.

2) United - Clancy Moving in Patterson, NY - $3665 for 5000 lbs, non-guaranteed, at 62% discount. Don't know how much the valuation would be.

3) Atlas - A-1 First Class-Viking in Brooklyn - $3007 for 5000 lbs, non-guaranteed, at 60% discount. Full valuation with 0 deductible included as AAA member.

4) Allied - All Points Moving in Congers, NY - $3339 for 4400 lbs, non-guaranteed, at 57% discount. Full valuation with 0 deductible for $253.

I also contacted Approved Moving (Brooklyn - agent for North American) - they weren't too enthusiastic to waste their time on us (we're only moving a studio apt - but a well-furnished one!) - and said they didn't have any appointments in the near future, but did an over the phone estimate (a big no-no) of ~$4400 for 2600 lbs - pretty ridiculous.

So, that's where we are - any other information that would be helpful to include?

At this point, I think I'm kind of looking at Bekins/White Glove and Atlas/A-1 First class. The guaranteed price makes Bekins more appealing - it's a small price difference for more peace of mind. On the other hand, Atlas was a little cheaper and they did estimate our weight at 5000 lbs, so I'm not too concerned that our weight will be over.

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks for your help - as I've said before, this forum and website are awesome. It's made me so knowledgeable dealing with all of these people and made me much more confident.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon May 09, 2005 9:58 pm

Hi - I remember you from the other website.

I don't understand why three of the companies won't give you a GNTE estimate. Did you ask them to? Clancy's owner has a good reputation although we have no reviews. Would Clancy give you a GNTE? I know nothing about All Points.

Anyway, the Bekins deal is one of those affinity programs where members of a certain group (medical) are offered a package. On the face of it this deal looks OK, although Bekins doesn't have a very good reputation as a van line and we have no reviews of White Glove specifically (note that this is the White Glove in the Bronx, NY, not the one in NJ). Hopefully one of the moving professionals knows something about this particular company. I assume that the cost is all-inclusive and that they wouldn't be adding long carries, etc., but you should ask.

Just so you know everything, I would like to ask you to read these Bekins reviews on Epinions before signing on with them (I've sorted them by most recent first) - http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Moving_Ser ... _list#list

I would rule out A-1 First Class. Although it is not by any means a scammer, its performance as reported here has been less than stellar - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2627

So . . . I'll say that I'm not too happy with any of your alternatives, and frankly I think you would be much better off going with Broadway Express. (To ship 10 linear feet with them--what you have--would cost $1541 plus maybe $350 for loading and unloading help.) However, if you can't use that type of mover, then I think that the Bekins deal is probably OK. Because it's such a large deal with many participants, I think you might be more likely to get a good move because the company would want good press. Hopefully someone else more knowledgeable will come on here to comment.

Postby Guest » Mon May 09, 2005 10:28 pm

I asked about what kind of estimates they'd be able to give, and this is what they all said - purely based on the weight. I'll call them all tomorrow to try to press them for a GNTE estimate and see how much success I have. But if they were avoidant to begin with, it's already a strike against them in my book.

The Bekins deal is all-inclusive - that's how much it's going to be no matter what is needed at the destination, and she said they won't even weigh the truck. I think that the affinity program is pretty well-established, and there is a specific contact person that I speak to every time at Bekins in Chicago, and they call the shots to the local agent in NY.

Thanks for the heads-up on A-1 First Class-Viking - sounds like people have had some pretty bad experiences.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 10, 2005 1:16 am

On A-1 First Class Viking, I spoke at length with one the sons of the owner and I feel that they are trying to do a good job but are perhaps overwhelmed. A-1 First Class just acquired Viking, an Atlas agent, a year ago, which gave them more ability to do long-distance moves. Now they book a very large number of moves for Atlas--I think the son (Darin Laby) said they are in the top 10 Atlas agents nationwide in terms of COD bookings. The sheer volume of moves that they do may partially account for their having a large number of complaints, since they have more exposure.

Personally I am not impressed by size; I prefer a company that has a seasoned hands-on owner who follows the moves from start to finish. If you can find one that will deliver your goods in the same truck they are picked up in (like Broadway Express), that is a major plus because it means less handling, which is where damage often occurs.

That said, I want to make it absolutely clear that in my opinion, A-1 First Class is NOT intentionally scamming people. Darin came on this messageboard last January to explain the circumstances surrounding the problematic moves described on MovingScam.com and how the complaints were handled, and I think his explanation was a good one. All of the customers seem to have been fairly well satisfied in the end.

Re: New York to Chicago with White Glove (Bekins)?

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:49 pm

:evil: :cry: :evil: I posted on another thread. I am not familiar with how these work. White Glove-Bekins was to pack and collate everything at their warehouse. I have household and office goods in two storage facilities. Included in their bid was picking up goods at my two storage facilites, my office and two small condos at Lincoln Center. One condo was furnished. Only kitchen items, personal stuff--and a lot of it and one chair.

We had Carlos, their estimator come out last Thursday to review everything. We had either moved the small condo goods to storage or moved personal clothing, etc., into the small one bedroom condo. It was a heap. Carlos was going to be here to supervise the packing. He never returned a phone call, over a three week period, and never responded to a message left on Friday afternoon. On Thursday he told us the bid would go down by some amount. I do not recall. He said something about discount rates, etc. which are meaningless to me. The rate increased by $800 when we finally called the White Glove/Bekins office to track down the cost.

The packers arrive, a seemingly nice bunch of guys. No Carlos. I was sitting at my computer desk in the kitchen only able to see what was being done within my eye site, which was the entrance area and part of the dining area. We established a scheme of my partner continually going around filtering things that either needed to be organized, computer related things--there are six computers and all attendent stuff. A box was set up in the entrance of the kitchen for documents and one that had cleaning chemicals--I did not know what was in that box. The fellow in my eye site picked up too Versace neck scarfs and a pair of Hermes leather gloves and tossed them into the cleaning chemical box, which appartently been delegated as the stuff that needed to wait to be packed.

In a box ready to ship, the packer that tossed a wooden wine rack, placed in it a nickle plated toilet tank tray, not wrapped. He also put a wire basket for towels in the kitchen into the same box. In the wire basket he had tossed glass candle holders, metal kitchen sink basket, one sponge, etc.

We had a pile of chasmere winter coats tossed onto a chair. These are items from the first condo. Rather than take them into the bedroom and place them on the bed, as the agreed strategy for errant things that needed protection, hangers, etc. I heard this strategy agreed upon as laid out by my partner. One would think, coats, hangers, wardrobe boxes--not here.

I got up and manuevered about after we had put a stop to the whole mess pending the arrival of Carols, the bidder who was going to be here to supervise. He apparently had been on a bid--his office told me the bidders are not in control of their schedules. He eventually arrives, in crisp spring, near white kaikiis. I had called eventually getting him on the phone prior to his appearence. He told me about a broken down truck in New Jersey that he had had to deal with.

On arrival and after the shouting match, he said, "Look at me, I am a mess. I didn't know I was going to have to deal with the truck in New Jersey. I did not even have a chance to clean up. I would never show up at a client looking like this." He looked like he was meeting some buddies at Rue 57 for a glass of white wine before hitting the links, snappy hat and all.

All of this was containable. We are under a legal deadline, of which we had discussed with him on the two times he was at our place.

Basically, we were both nailed. I had a rabble of piled things about. This he knew. Sorry, back to the cashmere coats; fate: one wadded up and tossed into a dish box. I did not expect them to see cashmere coats, figure out the couture rank of the damn things. I did expect the "coat, hanger, wardrobe," agreed upon plan.

So, after a bit of a shouting match, my partner and Carlos. I stumbled out to kind of simmer the temp. Obviously, we were not going to continue with these guys. We all knew it. I just wanted to demonstrate what had taken place. Everyone got calm. I showed the bad stuff. Carlos was shocked. He has worked with these guys and never a problem. He did admit that Bekins has serious problems.....I had too late started researching an alternative watching the 45 minute packing thing.

Very quietly, he walked up to me and said the following: "Hey, just tell me. The guy who did [the glove, scarf, chemical holding tank/box] that [pointing to aforementioned box], was it the black guy?"

I had not been upset until that.

So, off he went. I called for the owner, being told he was in and available to speak to me. Shuffle, shuffle, shuffle. A familiar voice on the phone says, "Are you being helped?" I indicated the object of my waiting. He said, "Ah, hold on........can I help you? I am the general manager."

I kind of ran thru the drill, retelling the already told. I confronted him about the bad news I had read about his company. Suddenly, there was another White Glove. No, it is you. Tell me how to find this web thread. I explained to him that, as it was not my job to teach his packers how to pack, I did not feel it was my job to teach him how to use the internet to find out about his own company, being general manager and all of that.

Thus, onto the future. Anyone stupid enough to violate the New York State Human Rights Commission Regulations, or even worse, stupid enough to "just between us white guys act," to violate the norms of society and respect, especially in The Major Blue State--only because of New York City (California would challenge)--is certainly not going to respect ones' possessions. In the previous comments, I said turn 180 and run. With respect to all, I say, "hold you nose and turn away. They will do the running."

Return to “Open Community”