Move from Connecticut to Florida . . what do I tell movers?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Jethrotull

Move from Connecticut to Florida . . what do I tell movers?

Postby Jethrotull » Sun May 08, 2005 4:09 pm

Hello.

Moving from my two bedroom apartment down to Florida.

I'll have them put my belongings in storage first.

Do we even talk price over the phone before they arrive for in-home estimate?

In other words, I don't want to come across as someone who could be taken for a ride.

Printed your "How to Find a Reputable Mover." So, I've checked a bunch of the prospective movers out.

What are three (or four or five) things we should definitely discuss over the phone?

What is a ballpark of what I should expect to pay? Anyone's help is greatly appreciated!

ALSO: Is it a good idea that I have them pad my fine dining room table, etc. the day before to get a cheaper labor rate (the really big and expensive stuff like tables, chairs, entertainment cabinet) via Single Factor Pack and then get FVR coverage on that stuff? When they pad the chairs and table, is that also considered packing?

Michael

Re: Move from Connecticut to Florida . . what do I tell move

Postby Michael » Sun May 08, 2005 7:16 pm

Jethro,

Lets go line by line.

:arrow: You should ask for a quote to have your goods stored at origin vs destination. There are definite advantages to both. Origin will be cheaper but longer to get to you once your ready. If your in no rush then do origin. Destination will be more expensive, but you will get your goods faster. So you weigh it out and see whats good for you.

:arrow: NO!

:arrow: Your address, phone number, time for appointment, services requested to be included in your quote. Thats all you need to discuss on the phone.

:arrow: without knowing how much you have and long you will need storage, there is no ball park.

:arrow: Anything that isnt in a box should and will be pad wrapped the day of load AT NO CHARGE!!!!!! If they are charging you to pad wrap furniture then say BYE BYE. No if you want your furniture brown paper wrapped, before it being pad wrapped by the driver, then thats fine. But it doesnt change the cost if its done before the load or the day of load.

:arrow: You place value on your entire shipment. Not the items they wrap and pack. If you want valuation its generally based on $5.00/lb to determine a minimum value. You can purchase more if you wish, but you cannot say you want less, or want to just place value on a few things.

Hope that helps!

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Postby Guest » Sun May 08, 2005 7:35 pm

Michael wrote:Jethro,

Lets go line by line.

:arrow: You should ask for a quote to have your goods stored at origin vs destination. There are definite advantages to both. Origin will be cheaper but longer to get to you once your ready. If your in no rush then do origin. Destination will be more expensive, but you will get your goods faster. So you weigh it out and see whats good for you.

:arrow: NO!

:arrow: Your address, phone number, time for appointment, services requested to be included in your quote. Thats all you need to discuss on the phone.

:arrow: without knowing how much you have and long you will need storage, there is no ball park.

:arrow: Anything that isnt in a box should and will be pad wrapped the day of load AT NO CHARGE!!!!!! If they are charging you to pad wrap furniture then say BYE BYE. No if you want your furniture brown paper wrapped, before it being pad wrapped by the driver, then thats fine. But it doesnt change the cost if its done before the load or the day of load.

:arrow: You place value on your entire shipment. Not the items they wrap and pack. If you want valuation its generally based on $5.00/lb to determine a minimum value. You can purchase more if you wish, but you cannot say you want less, or want to just place value on a few things.

Hope that helps!

Best of luck,

THANKS, MIKE!!!!!!

whototrust

Postby whototrust » Mon May 09, 2005 11:59 am

Hi jethrotull
I am also moving form Connecticut to Florida.
I have talked with Admiral Moving and Storage(there info is below) they use Atlas for there long distance move. I had them come out and give me an estimate and was very pleased so far. I check on movescam.com for anything bad and have not found anything and also been looking for the "signs" of a bad company and haven't found any. But I do want to get a few more estimates and talk with a couple of other companies. Since our moves are similar in distance who are you looking at to use. If you can share that company I would like to see how they compare to Admiral/Atlas.
Thanks
Whototrust

Admiral Moving and Storage
420 Ellington Rd
South Windsor,CT 06074
Phone: 860-528-4421

Bolero

Postby Bolero » Mon May 09, 2005 4:39 pm

Hello,

I'm also moving from CT to FL...what happened? did the long winter got to us? :lol:

Look at the thread I started (A-1 Fargo agent for Atlast...) on May 5th, I got some nice info from the experts here. I'm looking at agents in So. Fla, my destination, because my employer is paying for the move. All of the ones mentioned in that thread have agents here, just go into the van line web site and find local agent, then check out local agent just in case. I haven't got any in-home estimates yet. I will post as I get that info so we can compare. Mine is a 5,000 lb move and I'll have pretty much everything packed by company.

Good luck,

Bolero

Return to “Open Community”