NYC to FLA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
veegurl

NYC to FLA

Postby veegurl » Mon May 09, 2005 10:13 pm

I'm moving from NYC to FLA. The movers I'll be using are called All American Van Lines. I picked them on the recommendation of a co-worker. His brother-in-law works for them. Does anyone have any experience with them. They seem to check out ok. They have a clean record w/ the BBB.org website. Please let me know if anyone out there can offer some insight. They'll be picking up my things this Wed, May 11th. My move in date in Fla is May 20th. Thanks!

MusicMom

Re: NYC to FLA

Postby MusicMom » Tue May 10, 2005 8:08 am

How willing is your co-worker's brother in law to make sure that you move goes smoothly? Will he personally take care of any problems?

The company has had both licenses revoked twice in their history. They have only 6 trucks, which is more than a lot of independants, but not enough to ensure that your load will make a timely journey all the way down to FL.

It's a bit late to offer other suggestions. Do you yourself feel confident?

InsiderT

Postby InsiderT » Tue May 10, 2005 8:15 am

All American....

Who was the salesperson you spoke with? Jeff by any chance? There was an All American that contacted me about advertising back in January. Maybe I can tell you more about them.

Postby Guest » Tue May 10, 2005 8:25 am

I didn't speak with Jeff. I spoke with Zach & Ronnie & Ricardo. Ronnie was the dispatcher. Zach is my friend's brother-in-law. I just spoke with Elvis at Above & Beyond Cargo. He came at the recommendation from Dahill Mayflower who was recommended by All Star Moving. I called All Star after I saw some good reviews on this site. I'm soooo nervous right now. I think I may change the dates of my move to accomodate Above & Beyond. They can only pick me up on the 20th, which is my move in date to my apartment. Should I just rent a Penske truck & do it myself??

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 10, 2005 10:03 am

Hi - I'm sort of confused about how you could use Above & Beyond for your move since my understanding is that they are not a moving company but a packaging service similar to ShipSmart and Navis Small Moves. They would palletize your things and ship them with a freight company like Roadway, right? If so, you must have a very small load.

If you want to use a moving company, then I personally think you would be safer with All Star (if it has a truck going that way already that you could piggyback onto) or University Van Lines than with All American.

veegurl

Postby veegurl » Tue May 10, 2005 10:12 am

All Star Moving was waaaay out of my price range. I have a very small move which is why All Star Moving recommended that I try Dahill which then recommended Above & Beyond Cargo. I only have a twin bed, a desk armoire, tv armoire, tv, and 8 boxes. I just got a guaranteed quote from Flat Rate Moving as well. They told me $1350 for the move. I didn't realize Above and Beyond didn't have their own trucks for moving. I'm very new to moving, this is my first major move!

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 10, 2005 10:25 am

OK, I see your situation better now.

Bruce Keeler at Dahill told me that in 10 years of referring people to Above & Beyond he has never had a complaint about them. So I think you should go ahead and get a quote from them. I think the most likely problem with them would be delay . . . you might have to live without your stuff for a while.

In my mind the jury is out on Flat Rate. We have a couple of good reviews of them--one for a NYC to DC move and one for a move within the DC area (as I recall)--but I would like to see more before I could feel really confident about them.

All Star was probably high because they were quoting you on sending your things alone on a truck to FL. They would work out only if you could piggyback onto someone else's larger load, as I said. Are you sure they couldn't put your things onto one of their trucks going south?

All American Van Lines in Hicksville, NY (a Stevens agent with DOT #663388) has been discussed here before, for example here - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2701 - and two people have said that they were unreliable. In one case they never showed up for the appointment and in the other they never gave a promised quote. Also, Tyrone has expressed doubts about them, although I don't know the source of his concern.

InsiderT

Postby InsiderT » Tue May 10, 2005 10:44 am

Yea, All American is VERY unreliable. I thought you said All American also, but then you said there was no Jeff, just a whole bunch of other people and that they are actually from All Star.... so I'm confused.

As for Flat Rate.... I'll just keep my mouth shut. When Diane reaches a conclusion, it's usually right anyway, so I'll just wait to hear more about what she has to say about them.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 10, 2005 10:54 am

Wow . . . I sure hope you can help me along, "Insider T" . . . I'm sitting out here near Disneyland trying to figure out what the heck is going on in New York City, which seems to play by different rules from the rest of the country. But I think that eventually we'll be able to sort out the good guys from the bad guys and everybody in between, just from the reviews that we're amassing on the website. I personally think that the MovingScam database is likely to be much more reliable than the Epinions database, for example, because we can sort out the bogus reviews better and on Epinions people often don't mention the name of the particular agent they used--just the van line.

veegurl

Postby veegurl » Tue May 10, 2005 11:01 am

Thank you guys so much for your help. I'm actually on hold right now waiting to speak w/ Bruce Keeler from Dahill. I just want to discuss Above and Beyond a little more with him. My stomach is in knots right now!

veegurl

Postby veegurl » Tue May 10, 2005 11:11 am

All Star quoted me $3K to piggyback on someone else's move, which is still to high for me. I just talked to Bruce Keeler and he took some time to reassure me that Above and Beyond were quite reputable. He said that the worst complaint that he's gotten from them was that they were 2 days late on a delivery. Which is something I can live with I guess. As long as they weren't going to try to scam me for more than they quoted me.

Above and Beyond just sent me a quote which reads as follows:

Commodity: STC. Household goods/P. Effects

Transit Time: Approx. 3-5 working days

Via: Truck

Total: $1300-1500.00 (not to exceed $1500.00)

Packing List provided by customer:

8 boxes (packed by owner)

Bed

2 dressers

27” television

Services Included: On-site "boxing" of all household furniture and loose items (we do not blanket wrap), same day delivery to trailer heading to destination state and Palletization and shrink-wrapping prior to loading to prevent loss during transportation.

NOTE: Should you require insurance coverage for the full value of your shipment please contact our insurance broker prior to your scheduled move to set up an All Risk Insurance Certificate to cover your shipment for its full value at:

Baker International

Phone: 1(800)356-0093

NOTE: Most buildings in Manhattan require a certificate of insurance to be provided for moving services, if your building requires a certificate of insurance please contact my insurance broker at:

M.L. Bruenn

Phone: (914)632-2222

Should you have any questions or concerns, please do hesitate to contact us. Please be assured of our best attention and services at all times. Looking forward to hearing from you.

All the best,

Elvis Soler

President

Above & Beyond Cargo

136 W.73 Street

New York, N.Y. 10023

Phone: (212)721-1200

Fax: (212)721-1287

www.nycmover.com

InsiderT

Postby InsiderT » Tue May 10, 2005 11:12 am

Uh oh... what did I get myself into? :wink:
I'm here once a month, if that :cry:
Gotta earn a living while I look for another financial backer for my dream website 8) Until then, private message me if you ever need help Diane.

As for making sense out of New York City.... you must be joking right? But sorting out the good from the bad, now that's a venture you're well on your way to accomplishing :P

As for the database, keep up the good work! I personally wouldn't use Epinions to buy a VCR let a lone choose a mover, but they've got their heart in the right place.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 10, 2005 11:32 am

Thanks, "InsiderT."

veegurl,

It was really nice of Bruce to spend time reassuring you, and I hope that Elvis appreciates it too. This isn't the first time Bruce has done that. I think the range of prices is probably because Elvis didn't actually see your stuff. He has to protect himself by building in an overage of 10% or so.

I am a little concerned by what the quote says here:
On-site "boxing" of all household furniture and loose items (we do not blanket wrap),
Your furniture items will require some protection from being scratched. Make sure that they will at least put paper padding or whatever around them. They wouldn't be able to use cloth moving blankets because they wouldn't get them back.

Another thing:- the quote doesn't say anything about possible additional costs when the items are delivered. Will they deliver them to the street, or inside your residence? Will they take away the pallets or will you have to do that? This needs to be spelled out so there are no surprises.

If you use Above & Beyond, I would advise you to tell Elvis that you're going to post about your move on MovingScam.com and this will be the first review of his service. Good luck! Try not to worry!

veegurl

Postby veegurl » Tue May 10, 2005 12:04 pm

I just spoke w/ Elvis and he said that he would send me the addendum. What he said they do is bubble wrap the furniture and put it in the boxes. Also, he told me that the delivery would be inside my residence. Not on the street.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 10, 2005 12:12 pm

Hi - bubble wrap sounds good. Just make sure that the price for inside delivery is included in the quote. Also, others have said that packaging services like this often leave you with the big pallets to dispose of, which can be a pain.

Return to “Open Community”