DC to LA: Advice on DC-area movers (and cars too), please

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Re: DC to LA: Advice on DC-area movers (and cars too), pleas

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:27 pm

santagenoveva: sorry about the jargon.

Diane: thanks for the link on Kloke; hadn't seen it.

All: Am I correct in assuming that I'd like to avoid storage (SIT) if at all possible, but that storage in L.A. is better than storage in D.C. or someplace along the way? (Carlyle stores at their HQ in Missouri.)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:31 pm

SIT certainly adds more cost to your move, as well as extra handling of your shipment, so yes, it's great to avoid it. But if you have to have it, you will be fine with a good mover and be sure to purchase valuation on your goods. In terms of WHERE to do it, DC would probably be cheapest, L.A. would be nice because your goods are already there and ready to deliver when you are. also, I think you mentioned the need for delivery to a temp residence in the L.A. area. If you stored the majority of your goods in DC, and just moved the stuff for your temp residence, you would essentially have two moves. For conveince, storage at destination is the best.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:33 pm

Regarding coverage against damage if you move a car with BE, I discussed that a little bit in the FAQ sheet on this thread (#9) - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1771

This is another post I made to answer someone on the same subject:
Diane wrote:I called my own auto insurer (Allstate) to check--theoretically--on whether they would cover a shipped auto for damage under my comprehensive because several people had posted that here. My agent, like yours, told me that it was a gray area and that I really should be insured under the auto transport company's insurance policy because they were going to be in charge of the vehicle while it was being moved. So I would be a bit wary about that. My agent told me to study the fact sheet that accompanies my Allstate auto insurance policy very carefully--I forget what it's called, maybe the declarations or "decs" page--because that and only that will govern whether the insurance will pay. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3410

It is definitely a gray area but I can tell you that in the one case I know about where a buckle on a strap damaged the roof of an auto on a BE move, BE's insurance company paid for the damage, negotiating with the customer's auto insurance company to do so. If there is negligence on BE's part I am confident that they would make good on your loss.

Since you are considering four UniGroup agents, if you had to eliminate one I would eliminate Kloke.

tome

Postby tome » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:58 am

thanks, Diane and Nancy. will post the decision and results, etc.

santagenoveva

Postby santagenoveva » Mon May 09, 2005 4:53 pm

Hi,

As an update to this move....

I ended up using Hilldrup Moving and Storage (United Van Lines) for the move. My company sponsored it, so there was no cost to me, but I can tell you that the service was awesome. They called frequently in the days leading up to the load and unload, to ensure everything would go according to plan... they really exceeded my expectations. The load went very smoothly, so did the unload. There was no damage and everything went according to plan (except two boxes that I'm still waiting on that didn't make it on the shuttle to my apartment, but I expect them today). Everyone was very friendly and they definitely get two thumbs up from me!

The car is a totally different story. While I prefer not to mention the company right now, I can tell you it was not Hilldrup. It was coming from Wisconsin, and was placed on an open-air carrier. Somewhere along the way through Kansas *something* happened - they're still trying to figure it out - but there was a fire and my car was a total loss. They didn't call me till two days after the incident, and while they were very apologetic, it's been a week and they still won't release my car to my insurance company. Definitely not happy about it, I don't know if it was negligence, an act of nature, or pure dumb luck. Definitely not a nice experience for me.

Will update when I find out more...

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon May 09, 2005 7:44 pm

Great!!!!.... and oh, no!!!!!

Are they giving you a reason that they are not releasing the car?

santagenoveva

Postby santagenoveva » Mon May 09, 2005 7:58 pm

No reason yet, and the communication has come only through the tow yard where my car is stored at the moment. The trucking company has not told me anything, but since I have filed a claim with my insurance company I'm letting them handle it. Would be nice, though, if my insurance co. would return my calls... :roll:

What a headache! And to be in LA with no car is just plain craziness...

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon May 09, 2005 8:00 pm

They or your insurance company should pay for a rental car.

santagenoveva

Postby santagenoveva » Tue May 10, 2005 7:00 pm

Since my insurance company pays for a rental only for 5 days after a car is claimed to be a total loss, the benefit runs out on thursday. I could try to get their insurance company to pay for another one, but that's still just a temp fix. I got a car over the weekend, to save me the trouble, and today was notified of the settlement by my insurance. God bless Hondas.. the lose such little value!

The other thing I found out today is that the fire was caused by a blown tire on the truck. I don't know if they'll try to pin it on overweight cars because of people packing them with their goods, but still should not apply to my own car. They're still not releasing it from the tow yard, but it seems to be progressing in the right direction.

I got the two extra boxes last night from my household goods move. Again, this was the only glitch - two boxes arriving 5 hours late - in what was otherwise a seamless transaction. Would definitely use Hilldrup again!

Will continue to report progress on the car situation as I find out.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 10, 2005 7:18 pm

Great that you had such a good experience with the move itself. Do you know whether Hilldrup transported your goods in one of its own trucks? Undoubtedly the fact that your employer was paying for the move helped things go smoothly.

santagenoveva

Postby santagenoveva » Tue May 10, 2005 7:42 pm

I think you hit the nail on the head.. I still dread to think about the day I'll really have to attempt this on my own. The stress at the beginning when I was trying to figure this out.. I know the day will come, and I can only hope that all you kind people on this site will still be around online to hold my hand.. :wink:

I think in the end my move took 3 trucks to complete:

They picked it up in one of their own trucks (not a huge semi, but still a large truck)

Took it to a warehouse where the big rig was waiting to be loaded for the cross-country move

(I saw the truck at a Motel 6 - I met them to pick up the boxes there as I happened to be in the area last night and it would have been a 30+ mile drive for them to deliver to my place - but didn't notice the "Hilldrup" on the side. While I didn't notice whether the truck was Hilldrup, I know the driver was. He had their uniform on and asked for my feedback on the survey Hilldrup would be sending me. Very customer-focused folks)

I had spoken to the driver a few days before the unload, and told him that it would be a good idea to deliver in a shuttle truck, as my apartment is off-street and not in a complex, so this was the third truck which carried my stuff. The shuttle truck was a Budget rental truck, from the warehouse where he had just dropped another load.

When you consider there were two moves on the same truck with the same color stickers, it's not bad that they only misplaced two boxes, but managed to hand them over shortly thereafter.

While I could tag this as a "corporate kiss-up", I didn't get the feeling that they were being less than honest or just doing or saying things because they had to or because they didn't want to risk a bad review and lose my company's business. Anything's possible, but I didn't get a bad feeling from these guys at all.

Their operation seems to be quite "mom & pop": the load was done by a wife/husband/son team, and the driver/owner of the truck was actually the wife.

I'm attaching their website (for more information only), feel free to edit if this is not acceptable: http://www.hilldrup.com/

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 10, 2005 8:18 pm

Wonderful report! Thank you so much for providing the details. We have one previous good review of Hilldrup by "California Bound" - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13661

As for whether we'll still be doling out advice when you need it years from now, Tim has said that his goal is to make this website unnecessary by working for new laws to protect consumers against scammers. We may have to twist his arm to keep it going after those laws are in place. Maybe it will become fee-for-service with a then-ancient crone named Diane charging people 99 cents per reply via PayPal (refundable if the move goes bad).

santagenoveva

Postby santagenoveva » Tue May 10, 2005 9:15 pm

Haha... you made my day!

I fear it won't be that long by the time I have to do this again.. you know, the upward mobile youth, or whatever.. :lol:

I share your vision, though, of making this site obsolete, but even so, I'd be more than willing to pay for the service, if only for the peace of mind it offers to know there's someone out there sharing your joy and your pain through this incredibly stressful experience!!

Have a good night!

santagenoveva

Postby santagenoveva » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:16 pm

Update on car transportation:

Turns out what caused the fire in the end was a blown tire in the rear of the transport carrier. Although the company (Circle B Transportation) had said that in their 20 years of business this had never happened before and they thought it was very odd, my claim adjustor did say he's seen this happen before, and sometime with worse outcome.

I'm assuming that it wasn't negligence and it was just a freak accident, we won't know for sure. Their insurance company did accept liability and my own insurance covered the value of the car (total loss). Their insurance agency should also be taking care of my insurance deductible and loss of goods that were transported inside the car (a CD booklet at this time, since all the stuff in the trunk was salvageable and I just got it in the mail today!!).

So... heads-up! Be prepared for anything. I think my lesson out of this is to inventory EVERYTHING, including stuff packed into car, because you never know... I had to rack my brain to remember what the heck I had in there, so I could be properly remunerated. And definitely to confirm your insurance or their insurance covers damage caused during transportation. You cannot prepare otherwise for "accidents" and such..

I was lucky that I never changed my insurance policy from "full cover" to "bare minimum", even tho the car had been stored for the better part of a year. Would've been a major headache otherwise, I'm sure.

santagenoveva

Postby santagenoveva » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:07 pm

one last bit of an update.. a year after the fact!

It took almost this long to get reimbursed by my insurance company for my deductible, because it took them this long to get reimbursed by Circle B's insurance! MetLife, my insurer, told me that one of the other owners that lost their car put up a huge fight with them and it took this long to get resolved. Gee, that's nice. I wonder if they realize all the other owners had to suffer for that.

I can't imagine what would've happened, had my own insurance failed to cough up the money for my car payments as soon as the accident took place. Would I still have had to pay for my non-existent car, PLUS the replacement car? Oh my...

Definitely good advice to check on insurance coverage for your vehicle before it's loaded on the truck.

Return to “Open Community”