Moving from DC to NY - any comment on following companies?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Fernando

Moving from DC to NY - any comment on following companies?

Postby Fernando » Tue May 10, 2005 7:57 pm

Have gotten estimates from the following companies: Gulliver's Movers, FlatRate.Moving, Quality Services Moving and Golden Hands Movers. All are based in the DC Metro area and seem to be professional. Any info about these companies would be greatly appreciated.

MusicMom

Re: Moving from DC to NY - any comment on following companie

Postby MusicMom » Tue May 10, 2005 10:18 pm

Gulliver's Movers has had bad reports.
Flat Rate moving has had good reports, but the DC branch is still pretty new (original is in NYC). However, as this pricing is comPLETELY dfferent than the traditional based-on-weight interstate move, i've always seen it as comaring apples to oranges, and tough to judge. To each his own.
Quality Services moving is a Wheaton agent. A co-worker of mine still works there part time (when I found that out, of course I had to check out the company, you know, just to make sure he wasn't working for a scammer unknowingly... :wink: )
I've never heard of Golden hands movers. Give me a minute, and i'll check up on them.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue May 10, 2005 10:36 pm

OK, Golden Hands Movers, DOT#1171518, legal name "ELIAS Y. MERHI & ADNAN F. SAWADA" , is located in Jessup, MD. Strike one (Jessup is teeming with scammers). They own only two trucks, which does not make for good business sense when promising a timely load to another state. Strike two. They have a COntract license, not Common, which is OK, but Contract does not require the mover to have Cargo insurance. So any catastrophic damage that happens would result in you being out everything. Strike three: three of the four DOT inspection violations were for driving a CMV while disqualified. Shows a real respect for the laws.

They advertised for a sales position on Craigslist, calling themselves a "Fortune 500 Industry Leader" Ha!!!! Their website is chock-full of spelling mistakes, grammatical erors, and other telling things that a simple spell-check would have fixed. This may not seem like a big thing to you, but it is to those of us who've been here for a while.

Hopefully this will show you why Golden Hands moving should not even be considered.

Postby Guest » Wed May 11, 2005 1:18 pm

MusicMom, thanks for the info, it has been really useful. I agree with your comment about comparing apples to oranges; however, I managed to get flat quotes from all these companies. In the end I decided to go with FlatrateMovers (good reviews, professional sales rep., competitive rate).

Once my move is done I will post another message to comment on my experience.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed May 11, 2005 5:04 pm

Please do. I try to keep track of all movers that are good and bad in this area.

LCS1979

Postby LCS1979 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:53 pm

Regarding Golden Hands Movers--I recently did a move with the company to Hilton Head, South Carolina. I've moved twice before for business, once with Mayflower, and once with Allied Moving Co. I found that Golden Hands Movers was the most courteous and had excellent customer service. Being a smaller company, the estimator that inventoried my home worked with me from start to finish, answering all my questions and staying in constant contact. They also offered to deliver my load on Sunday, for no extra charge, so I could have my things there before the business week began.

strongdab

Postby strongdab » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:55 am

I used Golden Hands Movers for my move from the DC Area to South Florida in October/November They were willing to do pretty much anything for me. After giving me a quote for about $1400 for 3000lbs, I showed them competitor's quotes and they matched it. It's all downhill from here...

Due to the hurricanes during that time, getting my stuff to me when they said was impossible. They delivered five days later than they promised. Final delivery was on a Saturday night at like 8:30pm! I called/emailed the main office and they could never tell me the final delivery cost or weight. Miraculously, my final delivery weight was exaclty 3000lbs.

The actual pickup was ok, but I could tell their technique of numbering boxes and belongings was not reliable. At delivery the driver did not have a helper.. just his wife and 3-year old daughter. After moving all of my belongings to my 2nd floor condo, I knew I was missing some boxes. I had the driver count all boxes 4 times. There were many unlabeled boxes & items, not even listed on the bill of laden. Relentlessly I signed the delivery papers which indicated there was one missing box (bad mistake). He assured me that the moving company would pay for the box (I knew this was incorrect). So I call that Monday and the actual driver answers the phone and he tells me they are only responsible for 60cents/lb (typical valuation) and have not found the missing box. Luckily I had insurance on this shipment w/movinginsurance.com. I submit the claim for what I KNOW is missing (although it's more than one box) and the insurance company calls me and says the moving company has found my box! It's funny how the same box the driver said was missing, they surprisingly find when the insurance company calls. Insurance company indicates the moving company will fedex the box to my ASAP. Jump to... 30 days later.. still no box. I contact the moving company... say they will fedex the box. Still nothing. I wait another few days, call them and they finally drove thehouse. Of course, this box is the lowest-priced item I am missing. I contacted insurance company AGAIN, tell them the deal... and they say that only 1 box was indicated on the bill of laden as missing, so claim is closed.

By this time I'm furious, obviously. My wife is going batty because we're missing all kinds of wedding presents. I explained to the insurance company that the missing box we received was actually INSIDE another box at pickup. Obviously you'll have the same # of boxes at delivery if you open up a larger box w/smaller boxes inside and "lose" a box or two" on the way. Two weeks later, I get a check in the mail for the value of my missing items, minus the deductible! Next time, I will make sure I have enough time to research moving companies and I will count all items at pickup and verify on the bill of laden. Needless to say I would not recommend Golden Hands Movers.

mu4n6gal

Re: Moving from DC to NY - any comment on following companies?

Postby mu4n6gal » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:57 pm

Golden Hands is a total nightmare. I've posted about them on other threads, but briefly, the company's owner seems nice enough on the phone, but he clearly does not know what he is doing. My move was a complete disaster (and has required legal action to resolve). Golden Hands' "employees" (my delivery drivers claimed that they were not even employed by Golden Hands... right before one of them left in the middle of unloading me to go pay off a bookie - seriously, that's what he told me) are very sketchy. Even worse, Golden Hands uses Anthem Claims Management - easily the most unscrupulous company I have ever encountered (read threads about them on this site). Avoid this company; I have suffered thousands of dollars in loss and damage due to Golden Hands' negligence.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:21 am

When was your move, and from where to where?

mu4n6gal

Postby mu4n6gal » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:35 pm

I moved from Virginia to Texas in August. Golden Hands failed to deliver my mattresses and five boxes. They destroyed three bookcases, my washer and dryer, vacuum, microwave, lamps, and more. Almost all of my furniture is scratched and gouged. Everything was documented in full and all of my paperwork was sent to Anthem, which has valued my claim at ZERO dollars for a variety of baseless reasons (for example, they sent me a form letter and checked off a box that said that the mover is not responsible for my missing items because there was no evidence that the items were ever given to the movers... even though my inventory form clearly lists those items). Right after the move was completed, I spoke with Golden Hands' owner and offered to negotiate a settlement with him, but he is clearly confused about his obligations and that has gone nowhere. I'm fairly certain that this is heading to litigation; I'm giving the company a couple more weeks to come to their senses and settle with me.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:40 pm

Contact their REAL insurance company directly. YOu'll be compensated only at $.60/pound, but it's better than nothing:

HARTFORD FIRE INSURANCE COMPANY
Address: ONE HARTFORD PLAZA
HARTFORD, CT US 06115
Telephone: (860) 547 - 5000
Policy/Surety: 30 MS TL6263

You'll probably have to talk to multiple people to find out the right person to handle this, but be patient.

ria

Postby ria » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:26 pm

When I moved from DC to Ohio, I used Moyer & Sons. I'd highly recommend them! Everything went smoothly, and all my items were protected. Granted, I had a very small move, but they were ovbiously professionals who had moved people a million times before, and didn't treat me any differently than a larger customer. I posted about them here:

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

Sorry I have no info on the companies you listed, just thought I'd give my two cents.

Return to “Open Community”