Washington, DC to Seattle, WA January 27th, 2005

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
MusicMom

Re: Washington, DC to Seattle, WA January 27th, 2005

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:36 pm

I still think it would be safer with a GNTE, but the moverguys would be the voices of reason for this.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:03 pm

I agree with MusicMom. We've seen too many people get in trouble here with non-binding estimates. It seems to me that Collins could at least give you a Binding estimate, if not a GNTE. We've seen that Atlas agents do that all the time (Total Price Guarantee estimates). Anyway, I don't know what their lowering the price on the storage really means, since I gather that nothing about their quote is binding.

For what it's worth (maybe nothing), the Atlas agents that I've seen praised on this board in the DC area are Ace and Alexander's. I don't know anything about Alexander's, but Ace was actually used by somebody and the move turned out OK.

Security has excellent comments here, although no one has moved with them and reported back to us. Just to recap, they quoted you $400 more than Collins with a GNTE.

I would just be careful not to automatically go with the lowest estimate, especially when it's non-binding.

Please also review this thread started by "x-country move," who was a financial analyst for a bank and had used a spreadsheet to figure out the best deal - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=12236 You can review her previous posts as well to see her reasoning. Notice that people were saying in that thread to never accept a non-binding estimate unless you have no alternative.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:15 am

Again, I would ask you to ask those giving a not to exceed why they are able to do that with storage invloved. And I would ask the same thing with Collins as to why they are not willing to give you the NTE price. I know when I worked with United I was told we could not give not to exceed quotes on storage. And I have explained the reasons. So perhaps find out from those your interested in as to why?

Its nice to see you have them down to apple to apple. One thing I would also recommend you ask, is if they are quoting you for SIT or perm storage rates? There is a difference. IF everyone claims SIT rates, then ask what discount they are giving you off of the storage, if you dont already know.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

noneofyourbizz

Postby noneofyourbizz » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:18 pm

Well everybody, I decided to go with Security Storage. Collins brothers was about $400 cheaper after the second round of negotiations, but Security offered a BNTE quote, they were recommended, and they generally seemed more professional. M, I'll ask them why they can provide BNTE quotes on moves that involve storage.

JK was also tempting, primarily because 1) They would load my stuff in storage containers on the truck, resulting in my stuff being handled one less time, and 2) They gteed that the driver and his assistant would be JK personnel, as opposed to a driver for higher that may not have a direct connection to the local facility. Also, they were professional and I bought into the idea that their profit-sharing program might provide incentives for staff to do a better job. Still, Security also gave me a good feeling and they were cheaper. JK's estimate was only a few hundred more than Security's... but they wanted to build in an additional $650 in order for me to get a BNTE quote.

Von Paris also made a pretty good impression, but they were the most expensive.

I'll let you know how the move goes. Got to get back to packing... moving Thursday!

Thanks for all your help.
NOYB

Me/Michael

Postby Me/Michael » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:41 pm

Security is a good company with a greta reputation within the United System. Keep us posted.

Best of luck,

Michael

noneofyourbizz

Update: Washington, DC to Seattle, WA January 27th, 2005

Postby noneofyourbizz » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:16 am

So Security Storage moved our stuff in to storage on January 27th. For the most part, I was impressed with the professionalism and efficiency of the crew. They were fast and understanding (we weren't quite done packing yet). Also, it really seemed as though they were being careful.

I had been told that pads would be placed on door frames, railings and on the floors to protect my house. Protection was put on the floors, but no where else.

I'd asked the sales person to tell the crew to bring some picture boxes for some artwork we had. He apparently forgot, but the crew had the right boxes and packed them for me.

My stuff was packed directly in to storage containers on the truck, so rather than unload my stuff into the storage facility, the entire containers would be taken off the truck and put in to storage. This is not what I was told would happen, but I'm glad it did because that's one less time our boxes need to be handled.

Security called after the crew left to make sure things went smoothly. I did notice a few marks on the walls that weren't there. They offered to allow me to make a claim even though I'd already signed papers given to me by the crew saying there were no marks (I didn't see any the first run through). I decided not to because the marks were no big deal, but I appreciated that they didn't push back.

All in all we were pretty happy with the service we received.

We just had an offer on a house here in Seattle accepted, so our stuff will be coming out of storage in DC and heading to Seattle in a few weeks. I'll post again and recount my experiences.

PS: I left called the other three moving companies to tell them I chose Security and to thank them for their time. I couldn't reach Collins Brothers, so I sent the salesperson a polite email. He wrote back a pretty snotty, unprofessional response. He said he "could not fathom why" I would chose another company even though Collins Brothers was the cheapest. He couldn't understand why I was hung up on getting a BNTE quote (Collins would not offer one and actually implied that reputable movers do not do so). Collins Brothers had the best price, but their salesperson was by far the least professional.
NOYB

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:33 am

Chris,

Thanks so much for coming back to give us this update. Same for your post about DAS, which I just re-posted in our Auto Transporters thread.

So far, Security sounds like a class act while Collins (Atlas) does not. That's valuable information for us to have and it will help others.

noneofyourbizz

Postby noneofyourbizz » Tue May 10, 2005 11:10 pm

We moved into our new house in March.

The movers showed up several hours (about 6 late). 1 driver and two crew. The crew had United shirts on, but said they were not actually United employees. Security had promised me that the crew members would be United employees, not random guys hired out.

They didn't not put down any protective coverings over the wood floors, the door frames or anything, despite the fact that I had been promised. this. They were generally nice however, and worked pretty quickly (despite the fact that one guy said he had a horrible hangover). One guy kept letting me know they love big tips. He also let me know I should feel free to give him the biggest tip since the other guy was hung-over and not working as fast. Very classy.

Our bed frame was broken. The dinning room table has some small marks. But overall, our stuff arrived in good condition.

I still have to send in the claims for the bed and the table...better do that ASAP.

The move came out a few hundred below estimate... the weight was several hundred pounds lower than estimated, but this was balanced out by extra charges because they had to use a shuttle truck.

When I asked Security in DC why a shuttle truck would be needed, the representative was very rude to me. Finally, the sales guy talked to me and was very respectful, agreeing that it was perfectly legitimate for me to ask why a shuttle would be needed. His explanation made sense, and based on the steep hills, narrow streets and frequent terraced intersections in my area, I believed them.

Overall I'd say the move was adequate at best. It was a pretty low level of service, but I suppose I'm not that disappointed considering the horror stories I've heard elsewhere on this website.

Thanks for all of your help.
NOYB

Return to “Open Community”