Good movers in Metro DC?

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
sara rose

Good movers in Metro DC?

Postby sara rose » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:52 pm

Lots of info about bad movers....it's good to know but pretty scary.

Can anyone recommend GOOD movers for a local move in the D.C. area? I'm on a tight budget but don't want to get scammed.

Thanks!

Diane

Re: Good movers in Metro DC?

Postby Diane » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:53 pm

MusicMom knows all about DC and I'm sure she'll be along later today to help you.

Postby Guest » Wed May 11, 2005 4:26 pm

I'm looking for good movers in DC area as well if any know, i used two guys and a truck 5 years ago and they were fine, nothing special. Any input would be appreciated.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed May 11, 2005 4:57 pm

My usual list got cut down by one name. Someone just repotred a less-than-stellar move by Security Storage. While I would still think them reputable, this has to be considered.

Others include:
Von Paris (Alexandria)
Hilldrup (Baltimore)
McCollister's (Alexandria)
Victory Van Corp (Alexandria)
Paxton Van Lines (I don't remember the exact agent's name)

And if you are ony doing a local move, I'd also add JK Moving and Beltway Movers.

There is a large concentration of scammers in the Jessup, MD area and surroudning suburbs, so be aware of these ones.

Each of these names is mentione because of good reviews, not my own personal opinion.

woody

Postby woody » Thu May 12, 2005 5:59 pm

I used Beltway for a local move and everything went well. I actually was out of the area and a relative handled it for me and they seemed to make it easy for them. I am planning to post my review of how I picked them and the move experience (as told by the person that was there), it's just that the relative has been away and I need to get the final details from them. I even had to call the movers for something after the move a couple times and they were very friendly and helpful. Good experience.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu May 12, 2005 10:17 pm

Thank Woody, that helps a lot!

Judy B

Postby Judy B » Tue May 17, 2005 2:17 am

MusicMom wrote:Thank Woody, that helps a lot!

I moved from DC area using Apple Transfer of Fredericksburg..I had a terrible experience although my very reliable Real Estate firm recommended them. I cancelled JK movers, who I understand are very good, to use them. When my 2 most valuable pieces arrived broken, due to careless storage, < an Antique sideboard stored vertically instead of horizontally> Apple passed all buck to their parent company < tho all of my dealings with Apple> PAUL ARPIN OF RHODE ISLAND.....TO GET ANY SETTLEMENT HAS BEEN HAPPENING SINCE SEPTEMBER 04...and it looks as if I will have to go to court to get them to "other than deny".Lots more to it if you want details...The two "fraudulent activities: I took $30,000 extra insurance: Fed govt says they have to provide a policy which they did not. Wont even talk about it..and they charged me nearly $700 for 3 crates, one shipped empty, one with a broken thick dining table glass in it.
Help...any advice??/Please...can I make the Fed guideline stick about the 30,000...they self insured so providing me "supposed " coverage was a scam and I feel fraudulent. please reply...Judy Borisky

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:38 pm

We had a good experience with Strongman moving company. It was an intrastate move within Maryland and the price was good and the quality was good. They do a lot of stuff on craigslist, I think, moving furniture and stuff. Anyway, there website is http://strongmanmoving.com/

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:08 pm

Too bad the move was illegal for a lack of license! Maryland does not have local licenses, they require all movers to have interstates from the FMCSA, which Strongman, does not. There is also no license listed in the District of Columbia, where they have a PO Box address. The owner enjoys Motorcycles, mountain bikes, fitness, and good books.

If this is an actual customer, then I am glad you had a good move. There could have been a major problem somewhere. But if this is an employee of the company attempting to put out an ad, then think again.

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:11 am

Thanks for the tip. I'm an actual customer, and although they did show up late, they worked into the wee hours of the night getting our stuff into our new house. Their price was low, but now I see from other stories how easily we could have been duped. We had quite a good experience with them and thought others might have the same. Low price, good work ethic, good move. The work they do on craigslist, moving furniture and stuff, do they have to be licensed for that?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:40 pm

If they are moving household goods, then yes, they have to be licensed. At the very least, if they are driving trucks around on the roads, they need a DOT license and insurance. But I am glad that you had a good move.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:35 pm

I'm planning a move from MD to DC, and it's funny you say there's no local license, because 2 different people I spoke with said they "couldn't go into DC because it was interstate." Were they lying?

Any experience with Short Hop movers out there (based in Maryland)?
Thanks!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:48 pm

The DC Metro aea, like NYC and a couple otehr large cities, has a radius that will allow for moves between MD, DC, and VA to be considered local, if it stay within the specific area. Click here to read the specific info from the Gov't:
Sec. 372.219 Washington, DC

The zone adjacent to, and commercially a part of Washington, D.C.,
within which transportation by motor vehicle in interstate or foreign
commerce, not under common control, management, or arrangement for a
continuous carriage or shipment to or from a point beyond such zone, is
partially exempt from regulation under 49 U.S.C. 13506(b)(1) includes
and is comprised of all points as follows:
(a) The municipality of Washington, D.C., itself;
(b) All points within a line drawn 15 miles beyond the municipal
limits of Washington, DC
(c) All points in Fairfax and Loudoun Counties, VA, and all points
in Prince William County, VA, including the City of Manassas, VA, and
the City of Manassas Park, VA.
(d) All of any municipality any part of which is within the limits
of the combined areas defined in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section,
and
(e) All of any municipality wholly surrounded, or so surrounded
except for a water boundary, by the municipality of Washington, D.C., or
by any other municipality included under the terms of paragraph (d) of
this section.

So if your move originates in a point more than 15 miles form the DC city limits, or a county other than P.G., then your mover was right. Where are you starting from?

What I said before about local licenses is that Maryland is one state that does not issue movers based in MD licenses for moving instrastate. A mover in Alexandria must have a VA intrastate license, but a MD mover will not have a MD intrastate license.

Using this info, I checked on Short Hop with the FMCSA, and they do not have an interstate moving license.

For local moves, I would suggest calling JK Moving, Beltway Movers, or Moyer & Sons. They all have good reviews here, and JK and Beltway are mainly known as local movers.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:31 pm

Thanks....I'm moving from Annapolis to DC (30 mi).

Postby GUEST » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:28 am

Annapolis to DC would be an interstate move.

I disagree with only PG Co. in MD, Montgomery Co. would also be considered a local move.

Return to “Report A Scam”