American Eagle Relocation in rhinebech, ny. Ever deal with?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
woodsy

American Eagle Relocation in rhinebech, ny. Ever deal with?

Postby woodsy » Thu May 19, 2005 5:35 pm

Anybody ever deal with this company>http://www.americaneaglerelo.com/

Nancy

Re: American Eagle Relocation in rhinebech, ny. Ever deal wi

Postby Nancy » Thu May 19, 2005 5:47 pm

They have had authority since February of this year, have one truck and no brokers license. Doesn't look good to me at all.

woodsy

Postby woodsy » Thu May 19, 2005 6:34 pm

Could you please explain to me exactly what a brokers license is and why they need it?

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu May 19, 2005 6:37 pm

First off, we don't recommend that you go with a broker, ever. So since this outfit owns one truck, how likely is it that your shipment will go on their ONE truck? Not very. I would then assume they are going to broker your shipment to another mover (whom you haven't researched). Since they have no brokers license, they will have then broken the law.

woodsy

Postby woodsy » Thu May 19, 2005 7:34 pm

Nancy

Thanks so much for verifying this. This board has such an abundance of knowledge and I thank you for taking the time to explain

varsitysg

Postby varsitysg » Thu May 19, 2005 9:16 pm

woodsy,

I'm a Realtor up in your neck of the woods in Dutchess County. I've heard a couple of people say some good things about Arnoff Moving & Storage. They're based in the Town of Poughkeepsie and are an agent of North American. They've been in business in the area since 1925 and are still owned by the same family. Maybe some of the pro's on the board might be familiar with them and can give you their opinion. Here's a link to their BBB report. http://www.bbbnewyork.org/businessrepor ... x?id=26925

Hope it helps.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu May 19, 2005 9:24 pm

Thanks, Varsity.

There are some good comments on Arnoff on this thread dating from July 2003 - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=402
Great database we have here . . . and getting better all the time.

varsitysg

Postby varsitysg » Thu May 19, 2005 9:37 pm

Diane,

In my business, I have people asking for recommendations on movers often. Based on my own past experience with good ol' NMN and what I've learned about the industry since then, I'm always hesitant to recommend anyone since I do have a reputation I'm proud of and don't want any crooked company to ruin that. This forum has really educated me quite a bit and I love it. I was thinking about referring customers to Delancey (NY) which is nearby, but some recent posts have made me leary. I've heard some good things about Arnoff and I hope to find out some more about them.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu May 19, 2005 10:52 pm

I was very disappointed by what "jkchelse" posted about Delancey-NY since I have reason to believe (from many good reviews) that the SF and LA branches are excellent. That's why I suggested that he/she contact Mimi Silbert to tell her what's going on in Brewster. I'm sure that the Delancey Street Foundation wouldn't want this kind of blot on its record. It reinforces every awful stereotype that people have about ex-cons.

woodsy

Postby woodsy » Fri May 20, 2005 6:08 am

I already had an estimate by Arnoff and they were ridiculously high. Almost $6000 to move not even to move a full house of furniture 900 miles. We are selling almost all of the furniture and really have a bedroom set, about 75 boxes,tools etc so they shocked me with their quote which I thought was way too high

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri May 20, 2005 8:09 am

woodsy,

Where are you moving from and to--what zipcodes? How much weight do you think you have? Quotes from reputable movers can SEEM high in comparison to the lowball quotes from dubious companies.

And I agree with Nancy's observation above that American Eagle Relo looks very dubious. First of all, it's incorporated not in NY state but in Aventura, FLORIDA--an area that is a hotbed of scammers. Second, it has been in existence for only a few months. Third, its website has a scammy, pseudo-patriotic look that we volunteers have learned to associate with dubiosity.

woodsy

Postby woodsy » Fri May 20, 2005 9:19 am

Diane

Arnoff estimated 8000 pounds, on what I don't know as I don't have 8000 pounds of stuff, plus another mover estimated 6000 pounds and broadway express 24 linear feet of space. I was going with broadway express until my husband had emergency surgery and colon resection which lays him up for over 8 weeks and I cannot do all the packing and loading myself do to his condition

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri May 20, 2005 9:34 am

Hi - I see your earlier posts now, especially on this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3816 I see that you're moving from upstate NY to Hilton Head SC and have asked about several scam or dubious companies, including (yuck!) Precision Van Lines. You seem to be sort of floundering about.

I wouldn't give up on using Broadway Express. Even if you have 8000 pounds that is only 20 linear feet at most, and it could be as little as 16. 24 feet is far too much. The first thing to decide is exactly what you are shipping. Then I would RESERVE a space with BE, if I were you--at least 16 feet. You can always cancel later, and they are getting booked up. You seem to have a lot of weight (heavy furniture) so BE would be cost-effective for you.

If your only problem is getting someone to pack and load, take some of the big savings you will get from using BE and hire a local mover or Labor Ready to do that. You may even be able to do part of the packing. Maybe even Arnoff could supply people to help you, or this nice realtor ("varsitysg") might be able to recommend someone.

woodsy

Postby woodsy » Fri May 20, 2005 9:48 am

Diane,

The heaviest furniture I have is an oak bedroom set and an oak dining room set that is solid oak and heavy. I reserved with BE for mid June but just called Trent to say we have to push it back a month for my husbands recuperation. I think they are the best way to go and will just have to find loading help somewhere. I thank you for all your kind suggestions and I know I have been "floundering" but I've had a lot on my plate these past two weeks and am trying to keep things together.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri May 20, 2005 10:06 am

I know, and I didn't mean to sound as if I were criticizing you. I just get alarmed when I see people in your position facing such big challenges because that is the type of person the scammers love to prey on. They say things like, "We'll take all the worries off your shoulders, dear" to gain your confidence when you are vulnerable.

Don't reserve too much space with BE because you can't get a refund if you don't use it all. If you have 8000 pounds I think 18 feet is plenty. Maybe a church group could step in and help you (?). People are very kind if you ask them.

Return to “Open Community”