Moving from New Jersey to New York

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Moving from New Jersey to New York

Postby Guest » Fri May 20, 2005 5:11 pm

Okay... first off this doesn't feel very "international" but there is no other way to describe it since we cross state lines. Anyhow... We've gotten 7 estimates already... We need a full pack, load, move, and unpack... These are the estimates so far:

Avenel Moving and STorage... Agent for GLOBAL Van Lines 14,408
Central Moving Systems... Agent for MAYFLOWER 10,935
University Moving... Agent for ATLAS 10,915
Able Metro Moving and Storage... Agent for NORTH AMERICAN 8,022
College Grads Moving and Storage... 5,763
Amerigo Moving Services... 5110-5360
White Glove Moving... 5000-6000

North Americans Quote was a fixed estimate... "guaranteed"
Everyone else's is a 'flexible' quote and will depend on how many boxes we actually use and how heavy the truck ends up being.
College Grads said for 10% more of the quote they gave us (so that would bring it to 6339) they will also give us a fixed "guaranteed" estimate. We've already decided to not even consider Amerigo and White Glove because they feel 'shady' and we found complaints on White Glove. I had the BBB and the international moving association check on the other places and there have been no complaints against any of them.

I guess we're trying to decided between North AMerican and the College Grads... Just looking for some feedback if anyone has dealt with them before?

twalker
Site Admin

Re: Moving from New Jersey to New York

Postby twalker » Fri May 20, 2005 5:18 pm

Hi Guest,

I'm going to move this to the Open Community since it is an interstate move, not an international move. :wink:

As far as the individual estimates go, which of these companies came to your house and gave you an in-home estimate? These estimates are all over the map so I'm assuming that only a couple of them did in-home estimates? Let us know so we can advise you further.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri May 20, 2005 5:25 pm

Amerigo and White Glove are scammers. Cross them off your list. They were BY FAR the lowest weight estimates, anyway, almost certainly a lowball quote meant to lure you into their business. I would trust the higher estimates to be more correct.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri May 20, 2005 6:34 pm

College Grads in New Brunswick has an "unsatisfactory" rating with the BBB, the kiss of death. There is a College Grads with MC #215360 that appears to be licensed, but it's in Hillside and I'm not sure it's the same company. Anyway, a company can be licensed and still unsatisfactory.

Some companies in your area that we know are reputable include All Brunswick (Wheaton) in Dayton and American Movers (Global/North American) in Long Branch. Also Applegate (United) and University Van Lines (Atlas), which you already have an estimate from. My guess is that all of these are going to be in about the same price range as Atlas, so it's probably not worth contacting them.

Able Metro (North American) is almost certainly not going to scam you but it may not be the high-quality move you are looking for.

Another company that you might try calling is Peers Moving in Dover, which has two good reviews on this board (do a search). As a smaller local company, their pricing might conceivably be better than what the national van line agents would charge you. I am guessing that they would charge by the hour if you're moving to one of the five boroughs.

Postby Guest » Fri May 20, 2005 7:02 pm

twalker wrote:Hi Guest,

I'm going to move this to the Open Community since it is an interstate move, not an international move. :wink:

DOH! :oops: Just a tad embarrassed there now. LOL.

Postby Guest » Fri May 20, 2005 7:03 pm

twalker wrote:As far as the individual estimates go, which of these companies came to your house and gave you an in-home estimate?

They actually all did in-home estimates.... one of the reasons we were so befuddled how things could be SO all over the place.

Postby Guest » Fri May 20, 2005 7:08 pm

All excellent information. Thanks so much for steering me away from College Grads.

I think my biggest concern about getting more estimates is that everyone is putting on the pressure saying that they are 'filling up fast' and I may not be able to hire who I want if I hold off making a deal with someone. I'll probably make some calls in the morning and see who of the ones you recommended could come out ASAP. I have an appt. with Freehold Movers on Monday. I THINK I remember calling United and one other company who were both already booked the days we were looking to move. I'll have to double check that now.

Diane wrote:College Grads in New Brunswick has an "unsatisfactory" rating with the BBB, the kiss of death. There is a College Grads with MC #215360 that appears to be licensed, but it's in Hillside and I'm not sure it's the same company. Anyway, a company can be licensed and still unsatisfactory.

Some companies in your area that we know are reputable include All Brunswick (Wheaton) in Dayton and American Movers (Global/North American) in Long Branch. Also Applegate (United) and University Van Lines (Atlas), which you already have an estimate from. My guess is that all of these are going to be in about the same price range as Atlas, so it's probably not worth contacting them.

Able Metro (North American) is almost certainly not going to scam you but it may not be the high-quality move you are looking for.

Another company that you might try calling is Peers Moving in Dover, which has two good reviews on this board (do a search). As a smaller local company, their pricing might conceivably be better than what the national van line agents would charge you. I am guessing that they would charge by the hour if you're moving to one of the five boroughs.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri May 20, 2005 7:25 pm

People have said that you can get better pricing in NJ if you go toward the south and the shore because of the lower cost of doing business there, so if you're going to call only one other major van line agent I think American Movers might be the one to call. That, plus a local company like Peers.

Freehold looks OK with the BBB but I don't think it is yet licensed to move people interstate. On the other hand, your move to NYC (if that's where you're going) is within the NY metro area so I don't THINK they need an interstate license to move you there. Not sure about that--you could call your estimator from Atlas (was it Bill Quigley?) and he would know.

PS It just SEEMS international to be moving to NY from NJ. :lol:

Postby Guest » Fri May 20, 2005 7:43 pm

Diane wrote:People have said that you can get better pricing in NJ if you go toward the south and the shore because of the lower cost of doing business there, so if you're going to call only one other major van line agent I think American Movers might be the one to call. That, plus a local company like Peers.

Great :) I'll definitely give them both a call in the morning.

Diane wrote:Freehold looks OK with the BBB but I don't think it is yet licensed to move people interstate. On the other hand, your move to NYC (if that's where you're going) is within the NY metro area so I don't THINK they need an interstate license to move you there. Not sure about that--you could call your estimator from Atlas (was it Bill Quigley?) and he would know.

PS It just SEEMS international to be moving to NY from NJ. :lol:

I'll check on Freehold. I'd told her on the phone we'd be moving INTERstate LOL.. so I wouldn't think she'd even schedule it if they can't do it.

We're actually moving toward upstate New York... Dutchess County. Kind of country up there... and one of the reasons there is such a discrepancy between the companies and the estimates. Our new driveway is literally 800 feet long and made of gravel... so some of the companies are giving estimates to have to do a shuttle service when we get there (from the tractor trailor)... and some of the companies are saying they're willing to tie up several straight trucks for us so it won't take as long and they can get them down the driveway. That was a big reason we were leaning toward North American... because he offered to send a few trucks... PLUS the lower cost... sounded very appealing. Also the fixed rate. I guess it's the industry standard to keep estimates open ended depending on weight (?)... but it is a bit disconcerting not know exactly what we'll have to pay... kwim?

The ATLAS agents name was Michael Carolan... I didn't meet or talk with Bill.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri May 20, 2005 7:53 pm

I see your situation better now. So is where you're moving about two hours north of NYC? How much weight do you have, according to Mike Carolan?

You should definitely try to avoid a shuttle. You could send a Private Message to Nancy to see if she knows anything about Able Metro. Possibly it is OK. How many straight trucks will be needed?

Postby Guest » Fri May 20, 2005 8:16 pm

Diane wrote:I see your situation better now. So is where you're moving about two hours north of NYC? How much weight do you have, according to Mike Carolan?

You should definitely try to avoid a shuttle. You could send a Private Message to Nancy to see if she knows anything about Able Metro. Possibly it is OK. How many straight trucks will be needed?

Yes... very close to two hours North of NYC.

Mike is estimating 22,200 pounds... and he definitely won't have anything but a tractor available. I THINK Able said they would schedule two straight trucks... I just looked at the estimate and it's not actually on there. But I also see that they have weight at under 18,000 pounds. Global and Mayflower both had estimates in sync with Mike.. more or less.. 24,000 and 25,000 respectively. Given that Able (NAVL) gave us such a relatively low but binding quote... I don't know if that should worry me? LOL

I'll definitely ask Nancy about Able. Thanks :)

Postby Guest » Fri May 20, 2005 8:17 pm

And I do wonder... if NAVL underestimated cubic feet... and only send two but we end up needing three??? What would happen there? Can they charge more or would they still be bound by the contract?

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri May 20, 2005 8:32 pm

I don't know the answer, . . . what is your name? I think we'll just have to wait for the moverpros to get back to the board for our answers to that. Frankly I don't even know how long a straight truck is. I thought they came in all different lengths, up to 35 feet.

Postby Guest » Fri May 20, 2005 10:27 pm

My name is Jennifer :) My husband said that according to one of the guys who'd come out... two straight trucks have the same cubic feet as one tractor trailor... but then when we asked if two trucks could work he looked skeptical? So I don't really know, I suppose.

I did message Nancy. Hopefully she'll know more about Able. Thanks for all your feedback Diane :) You've been great!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat May 21, 2005 10:46 am

Jennifer, I got your PM, but I'll do the reply here on the board for any other consumers too. Able Metro has been a NAVL agent since 1977. I do like the longevity of their company. We often have inquiries for companies in business only a few years. As far as I am concerned, if these guys were really ripping people off (or scamming them) they would have been prosecuted or switched names or something. So I do not think you will be scammed.

I work for a NAVL agent in California. I haven't done any business direct with Able, but that doesn't mean anything negative. I just don't have a personal experience with them. They are a smaller agent, again not a negative. That can often be good as you get more personal service. I usually think much better on a move like yours (unique destination delivery needing small trucks), you are better off with a smaller company. Kind of the big fish, small sea. Than a company with zillions of customers over those days.

For your size shipment, I do think it'll fit in two straight trucks. Go ahead and ask them the consequence if it all can't fit. Your price shouldn't change, but it is possible that a few items might need to be left at their warehouse until they have another truck going in your direction. That is unusual, but it does happen in the busy season. We would normally discuss with the customer what they could live without for a couple weeks. For example, if someone was moving in the winter, we'd be likely to leave behind (in our warehouse) their patio furniture and BBQ. However, we'd get the rest delivered immediately. So I would be prepared in case it doesn't all fit.

Providing a guaranteed price on your type of move is not unusual. Since that agency is using their own trucks, they essentially need to guarantee what revenue will be turned on your move. I'd be comfortable with that, and just have them put the type of trucks in writing. Then you know you won't have a shuttle at destination.

As for the price differences, it seems like Able is able to have the competitive edge since they have two straight trucks available. You're the beneficiary of that, so might as well take advantage. My company has one straight truck that runs Intra California only. That gives my salesman a competitive advantage a lot when they can commit that truck and avoid a shuttle for a customer (either origin or destination). Just cuts down on the labor and services performed. Come to think of it, those bookings are almost always flat prices as well. (hello light bulb just came on). To guarantee the no shuttle and straight truck, we get a flat price so he knows what commissions he'll earn.

Return to “Open Community”