item-based quote by OD moving

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
bostonloft

item-based quote by OD moving

Postby bostonloft » Sun May 22, 2005 1:07 pm

I am moving from Boston to LA, and started research on line. One of the quotes I got is from a New York-based company called "OD Moving":

ICC # MC-496611 U.S D.O.T # 01272471
Corporate Headquarters: 59-11 Queens BLVD, Woodside, NY 11377

The quote was based on items: each piece of furniture and the number of boxes, not by volume or weight. With my large one-bedroom, the quote was about $1800, surprisingly low considering the distance. I searched this website, didn't come up with anything particular about this company. Wondering if I should be concerned about this particular way of pricing? Apparently, the company contracts out the move itself.

Thanks!

MusicMom

Re: item-based quote by OD moving

Postby MusicMom » Sun May 22, 2005 2:23 pm

OD Transportation has been licensed for about a half a year, but more importantly, they only own one truck. how wil they make money when that one truck is driving your things all the way to CA? They wil either hold your belongings until they have enough loads to make a coast-to-coast trip worthwhile, or they would ilegally broker out your load (you need a special broker's license to hire other movers) to someone else whom you have not been able to research and approve of. If you say they contract out the move themselves, then this is what they have already admitted they will do. AVOID!

Interstate moves MUST be based on weight, and backed up with a ceritified weight ticket from a certified scale (like those periodically on highways). Line-item quotes are not legal.

If you are moving from Boston, then you should be using a mover FROM BOSTON. How did OD give you an in-home estimate from NYC? They didt't, did they? Turn off your computer, go back to your phone book and find mover in the Boston area, and only use one who will come and view your load.

bostonloft

Postby bostonloft » Sun May 22, 2005 5:37 pm

Musicmom:

You confirmed my concern. The sales person kept calling me to sign up with them too. I have contacted one boston-based firm, Gentle Giants, and am waiting for them to contact me--I have used them before for same-city move and was generally happy with it. But I think their price is going to be hard to swallow for a long distance move. I may use BE instead.

Thanks again!

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun May 22, 2005 6:22 pm

Someone who moved last year from Boston to Seattle got a quote from Gentle Giant (which, as you may know, has good comments here for local moves in and around Boston). She reported that they told her they were going to use Rainier Transportation Systems as their hauler, which she thought meant that her things were going to be shipped by rail to the West Coast - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2950 I'm not sure this is true, but you might want to look at the thread. (BE doesn't ship things by rail.)

bostonloft

Postby bostonloft » Mon May 23, 2005 4:51 pm

Well, BE is alreay all booked into July and I need to move around the weend of June 18. So I called ABF and they quoted me (for my large one-bed and based on 9 liner footage) $3037 vs. my free quote from BE of $2175. I thought ABF would quote lower, but maybe not?

In any case, I haven't got a quote from a local full-service firm yet, and I feel I am running out of time to wait for the on-site estimate for my June 17 move. Does $3k sounds like about right? I am guessing a quality full service move would cost me around $5k, am I off? Trying to decide if I should reserve with ABF.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon May 23, 2005 6:33 pm

If you have 9 linear feet, that is around 4,000 pounds, which would be a stuffed or large 1BR. A very general rule of thumb is $1 per pound for full service coast-to-coast, so I think most full-service movers would charge you at least $4000, and maybe $5000 because it's summer.

So, only you can decide whether it's worth it to save $1000-$2000 by going with ABF. I AM a little surprised by how high ABF's quote is, but at least it will go down if you use less space, which you may well be able to do. I think you should at least reserve with ABF so you have something to fall back on. You can always cancel later on.

You might also try calling Moovers, Inc. at (925) 595-6901 to see whether they might have a truck in your area. Someone has just posted a good review of them - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=33241 Julie Brown "discovered" them and is waiting for her stuff to be delivered - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4146

bostonloft

Postby bostonloft » Tue May 24, 2005 11:36 pm

Thanks, Diane. I will check out Moovers--I suspect I don't really need 9 feet of space in ABF's truck, but I am reserving on the conservative side since you get a refund for unused footage.

Maria

Postby Maria » Fri May 26, 2006 12:22 pm

Thanks so much on the advice about OD moving. I also thought that I could not go wrong with the "per item" rate. It seemed really cheap, and then they wanted a deposit. This was the red-flag.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri May 26, 2006 4:14 pm

No problem. Where are you moving to and from, and when? How big of a place do you have?

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:49 pm

-uoiuio uoiuigufoiw u i iuiguiuiguigui uiuiwupuu upuwu uuuuu uuru uruu u utututui55 ropturiuturu iutiu2i5ututr uruiruuriiir uruureutu uruqwe09094 uhrrr

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:22 pm

Gezundheit!

(note to others, I removed three other posts from this person that said nothing but emoticons and quoting the original author)

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:26 pm

Is Shay bilingual? lol
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:30 pm

No, this is too intelligent for Shay.

Retired1

OD moving

Postby Retired1 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:10 am

Unfortunately I have already hired OD Moving and they have all my worldly possessions! I have made the move from Michigan to Florida. My quote is based on cubic foot and now I see that that is illlegal ! They just picked up on 10/20/06 and agreed on a 3 - 7 day delivery date. Now I find out it's based on M-Friday business days! Final tally for charges ran over by 1500$ ! I will agree I had more items than I thought. The cubic feet overage was $1020 and the rest was $500 in packing materials !!
I'm VERY concerned I will never see my goods again! I can't seem to talk to my sales rep 'Dave'. Although I have called many times. Any suggestions or should I sit tight as they said they will deliver this week??
Thanks SO much for any help you can give me.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:39 am

Retired1, the best suggestion at this point is to contact Move Rescue at www.moverescue.com. I don't believe enough time has passed to prove that they are not going to deliver on time, but they may be able to light a fire under these people and get them to talk to you. Do you have an itemized inventory? You admit that you added more things, but you didn't say how much? What did they pack? $500 isn't that bad a price for packing. Have you contact their Dispatch person? Do you have the driver's name and number? Can you talk to "Dave"s supervisor?

Return to “Open Community”