re: deposits and cross country moves

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
deborah

re: deposits and cross country moves

Postby deborah » Tue May 24, 2005 11:22 am

HI...
I've enjoyed reading about the two movers I'm considering for a move from Washington DC to Seattle, both JK Moving and Storage (Sterling VA) and Town and Country Movers (Gaithersburg, MD)

I appreciate any good or bad experiences with these movers.

I've read about deposits on this site...and JK is asking 10% non-refundable deposit, if they are not used...the move is about 5 weeks from now, and is in the busy season.

What should I think about this?
Debora

MusicMom

Re: re: deposits and cross country moves

Postby MusicMom » Tue May 24, 2005 11:48 am

Knowing JK's good reputation, I would say it's OK. Normally deposits are big no-no, but I've heard of movers in NYC needing deposits so customers won't book with everyone in the area and then cancel a day before, so I'm guessing JK is taking up on this too. Just make sure you really want to use them, since it's non-refundable. The reviews ahve said they are pricey, but worth it.

Did T&C need a deposit also?

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 24, 2005 11:51 am

I think it's OK. I agree with MusicMom--some independent companies do this to make sure that customers don't "jump" to another moving company on moving day. JK has no reviews here for cross-country moves, but it has done a fine job on local moves.

Incidentally, speaking of jumping, I just talked with one of the owners of Moovers, Inc., and they have a tractor-trailer coming back from the NY area to the West Coast in late June and they are looking for loads to fill it out. I think DC might be considered close enough to NY that they could pick you up. Moovers, Inc. has very competitive pricing because they are trying to build up their business and they have just gotten a rave review here - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3985 (end of thread).

The only downside that I see with Moovers for a cross-country move is that customers have to be somewhat flexible about when they are picked up and delivered because right now Moovers has very few trucks crossing the U.S. Although they have 30 workers and 11 trucks, they are headquartered in the Bay Area and most of their moves are done there. They have no East Coast terminal. Anyway, the office number for Moovers is (925) 288-0630. Like Broadway Express, they don't advertise. The owners (Matt and Jayson) were formerly with Delancey Street-San Francisco.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Tue May 24, 2005 12:03 pm

I have also heard of some smaller moving companies asking for small deposits, so I guess my question is this... how much does 10% of your move add up to? Since this is non-refundable, you've got to ask yourself if it's an amount that you're comfortable placing at risk. Moving is one of those things where circumstances can change so if something changes on your end are you willing to burn that money?

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

deborah

Postby deborah » Wed May 25, 2005 1:34 am

Hi Music Mom...

T & C also asks for deposit

for Twalker, your questions are really helpful

My move is big...est. 7500 lbs. so 10% could be over $700 for the move.
T & C has a set $200.

What is interesting, is that T & C are not going to come for an estimate until June 2nd...for a July 1st move. JK already says they may not be able to fit me in, until July 5th...so I can't really make a good decision until June 2nd, which means the deposit is at risk, yet the possibility of using JK is already low.

Is this standard?

Also, very surprisingly, T & C gave me a moving cost over the phone, for my car, a Suburu Forrester of $750. All other car movers etc price it between $1100 to $1500...so this seems fishy, or unusual.

Any input, or advice on the car part of the move? T & C claims the car is moved inside a van or truck (covered) which is the pricier end of the move.....

Has anyone else wrestled with dates to schedule the move from one company, conflicting with the estimators visits from another company?

Thanks for all advice!!
Deborah

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed May 25, 2005 2:05 am

Deborah, I just want to caution you that both companies you are asking about are well-reviewed for local and short-distance moves, but not for moves of great distance.

If I were you, I would go with an agent of a major van line or else with Broadway Express or (if they can accommodate you) Moovers, Inc. Ideally, you want a company that will pick your goods up in a truck and that same truck will deliver your goods in Seattle. That is the simplest (and in my view the best) way to carry out a household move. I'm sure that not everyone here will agree, but that is my personal opinion.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed May 25, 2005 6:45 am

Estimates are normally only "good" for 30-60 days, so a June 2 estimate for a July 1 move is not off.

Diane is right. I was concentrating on answering your qustion and did not stop to think about the fact taht you are moving to Seattle. JK may be able to handle it, they have over a hundred trucks, but you would be better off going into a "van line system". If your mover had a problem along the way, they could call on the help of the nearest agent. The detination unloaders will not be the same as the pickup guys, but your goods would stay on the triler as it was simply hitched onto another tractor.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed May 25, 2005 10:26 am

Deborah,

As you tell us more details, I feel increasingly uncomfortable with both of the companies you are dealing with for a move of this distance. Please try to get a quote from BE, Moovers, or an agent of a national van line. Also, I would recommend shipping your car separately with DAS or Tn'T, the two auto transporters that have the best reviews on this website.

deborah

Postby deborah » Thu May 26, 2005 12:21 am

Hi Diane and Music Mom...

Now I'm concerned. Your advice on the car is very helpful. Broadway express prices based on cubic feet, not weight. I thought that is a 'no-no'.

I do have quotes from Allied and Bekins...both about $2000 over the price for T & C and for JK.

These latter two felt ok handling cross country moves, but I will now ask for references for these type of moves.

I'd better get back on the estimate game!
Thanks.
Deborah

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu May 26, 2005 9:10 am

deborah wrote:Broadway express prices based on cubic feet, not weight. I thought that is a 'no-no'.

Freight companies operate under different rules. Please see question #11 on the FAQ sheet on ABF and BE, here - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1771

I'm quite surprised that your quotes from van line agents were so much higher than your quotes from the independent companies, and I can see why you are tempted, but I still feel uneasy about them. Who would actually be moving your goods to Seattle, I wonder . . . it seems unlikely to me that the two independent companies would send their own trucks that far with no return load.

deborah

Postby deborah » Thu May 26, 2005 11:33 am

Hi Diane.
I am now getting a closer estimate to the independent movers from Mayflower...
so may take your advice on a Van line and go with them.!
Deborah

deborah

Postby deborah » Thu May 26, 2005 11:49 am

Hi all..
I've gotten a good quote from a Mayflower rep...
How do I know about this specific rep?

They are Hampden Moving and Storage, in Abingdon, MD, yet can't find them easily on the web...and I just got a card from Mayflower, I called the 800 number and got this mover associated with Mayflower.

I'd love if someone can explain how the Van Lines differ from the independent carriers, re: long distance moves, as the Van Lines use smaller independent folks too.

I'm a bit confused!
Thanks
Deborah

Return to “Open Community”