VICTORY MOVING AND STORAGE

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
Diane

Re: VICTORY MOVING AND STORAGE

Postby Diane » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:28 pm

Guest, where are you moving from and to, and how much stuff do you have, and when do you want to move?

as6939

Postby as6939 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:00 am

Musicmom,

Checked L&I and saw Victory Moving and Storage in Chatsworth as being licensed in Jan 2005. This is the same company that moved me last fall and had been licensed in 2003 at the time of the move. Same DOT, same MC (checked my invoice). How can the date change on the authority without showing any history?

FYI, they are owned by the Victory in Brooklyn. When I was attempting to retrieve my belongings, Brooklyn was the office I had to deal with. The owner is Victor Sabach.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:35 pm

How did you know they'd been licensed since 2003 last fall? Did you check their L&I page then? Or did they only TELL you they'd been licensed since 2003? The date of authority would not change. The number you looked up was DOT1186770?

I do see on the Carrier Snapshot (the DOT's record) that their MCS-150 form was filed in Nov 2003. Is that the date that you looked at?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:37 pm

Were you able to get your stuff back successfully?

as6939

Postby as6939 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:42 pm

No, it is definately the same DOT number. Circa November when I was attempting to find my furniture I checked the L&I page and it showed operating authority under that number dating from 2003. I may be slightly off on the date, but I remember they had valid authority at the time they picked my up in September, as well as for some time prior.

I also spoke to an FMCSA investigator around that time as well as a Deputy AG from California DOJ and they both found the same thing.

I wish I had printed it out at the time, but I didn't have printer (nor much else!)

Also, if you look at river moving violations in Safestat, they were operating under that number in September 04, well before this license shows effective.

I got some of my belongings back. I wrote a rather verbose post about it, visit http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3127&highlight=.

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:50 pm

thanks guys
I am using another company. I have it down to three. I am moving fromcal to washington state. I have about 11,000 lbs of stuff going.
thanks guys

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:42 pm

AS, I have no idea why that date thing would be off. What did the person at the FMCSA say about it?

as6939

Postby as6939 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:37 pm

Haven't spoken to him since the date mysteriously changed. A little odd though, isn't it?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:02 pm

There are only two situations that I can think of that might explain the change in dates. When a company changes names or moves, sometimes you'll see a heading under Authority History's Original Action saying "Transferred". Or, one example from the top of my head, a company changes loses their license while changing its name at the same time, like [url=http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/pkg_carrquery.prc_authorityhistory?pv_apcant_id=276230&pv_legal_name=NATIONAL^MOVING^NETWORK,^INC.&pv_pref_docket=MC364848&pv_usdot_no=N/A&pv_vpath=LIVIEW]Patriot Moving[/url], it says Reinstated. Their insurance began in June of 2004.

I also checked the SafeStat report from the DOT, and it verifies the MCS-150 form's 2003 date. Incidentally, their one driver managed to get three tickets at one, including two failures to obey a traffic device, and use or possession of drugs. Nice. Their History shows they entered the system in March of 2004, which could jive with a 2003 start of business date. it usually takes a few months to get noticed, unless the drivers get pulled over.

I have to wonder if this is a clerical error at the FMCSA. Please let me know what and if you find out.

cathie

Postby cathie » Sat May 07, 2005 6:14 pm

You all saved my daughter a lot of heartache. She was scheduled with Victory in LA for April 24 - they changed it to April 22 (Passover ??) and then that morning called to say they had no crew available and would get back to her. I accidentally came across this website and got her another mover. Original quote was $900 from Victory - ended up with Sterling- wonderful people - paid big bucks $2600 (actually pay on delivery unlike Victory) . I would like to get my deposit back from Victory- any chance of that?

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat May 07, 2005 8:00 pm

MusicMom can advise you about the deposit when she comes on later.

But about Sterling . . . what was particularly good about them? Where was your daughter moving to? Did you think the cost with Sterling was too high for some reason? We like to keep track of the reviews of these companies, especially in big cities like Los Angeles.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun May 08, 2005 7:51 am

deposit:

How did you pay? This advice is assuming it was by credit card. Since they were unable to stick to the contract, you can dispute the charges with your credit card company. They did not perform the agreed-upon services. Unless they printed there is a non-refundable deposit anywhere in your correspondance (email, signed contract, etc), it will be returned to you. Send a typed, signed letter via to both the CC Company and to Victory.

If you paid by debit card or other bank funds, talk to your bank manager about getting the money back.

I'm SOOOO glad you were able to switch and have a good move! Hoever, I'm not sure the $2900 Sterling charged you is too far off from any other reputable moving company., Keep in mind that Victory probaly got your daughter's busines by giving her a tempting quote that was much lower than all other companies. But those quotes, called "low-ball" quotes, usually get doubled o tripled at delivery (with a hundred times more hassles in every respect), and sometimes even end up being more than a reputable mover like Sterling's bill. What was Victory's estimate?

cathie

Postby cathie » Sun May 08, 2005 11:55 am

Sterling ( not to be confused with a scam Sterling in FL) does small moves. The sales person Doug was very friendly ( of course so is Victory's Steve) .On their web site they have a whole piece on scammers.
After Doug I dealt with Tony the moving boss and then had 2 wonderful moving men who did so much for our worries and fears. The move is LA to Balto so the price is probably quite reasonable. The only negative is that the stuff won't get here for a few weeks- it is ok with us because it is going into storage for a while.
Thanks for the info.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun May 08, 2005 12:09 pm

OK, I'll keep this positive report in mind about Sterling-LA. I know that others have also been happy with them in the past, the only downside being that sometimes there can be a delivery delay while they try to build a cross-country load. And yes, others reading this should keep in mind that we're talking about Sterling Van Lines in LOS ANGELES.

Cathie

Postby Cathie » Sat May 28, 2005 11:13 am

Stuff arrived from Sterling this week- wonderful driver who called me several times to let me know his progress. He was so careful with all the things- even though most were old worn-out pieces. Great experience- I highly recommend.

Return to “Report A Scam”