using All My SOns for a cross country move...any input?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
snoobear

using All My SOns for a cross country move...any input?

Postby snoobear » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:04 pm

Hello, Just trying to be sure we're not getting ourselves in for any trouble. All My Sons gave us a bid that is $1,200 less than the next lowest bid to move us. We are on a very limited budget, so it sounds very appealing. Wanting to know if anyone has had any problems with AMS, or knows any reaons why we shouldn't take them up on it? Thanks!

MusicMom

Re: using All My SOns for a cross country move...any input?

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:54 pm

or knows any reaons why we shouldn't take them up on it?

Yep. Here's the reason:
All My Sons gave us a bid that is $1,200 less than the next lowest bid to move us.

If any quotees given by a moving company is significantly lower than all of the others, you know that comapny will give you trouble. This is called a "low-ball" quote, designed to do exactly what it is doing- enticing the person on a tight budget to use their company. If their quote is all that you can afford, perhaps think about selling off some furniture and replacing it when you get there. Or maybe renting a truck and driving yourself. Or using one of the U-Pack-We-Drive companies like ABF or BE, which are alternatives to a full-service mover, and usually cost a LOT less.

All My Sons is a franchise busines, like MCDonald's,a nd like Mickey D's, you can get widely varying services and products at each location.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:03 pm

Here are the links for each of the three franchises in CA. I'm not sure which one would be closest to you.

http://www.goldengatebbb.org/commonrepo ... ?bid=38562 (25 complaints)

http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Busin ... &hAddrID=1 (one complaint, but a rating of BB-about in the middle)

http://www.sacramento.bbb.org/commonrep ... d=15002388 (complaint history not listed)

Sacramento had a driver cited for use/possession of drugs last year.

Not to mention, if it IS really a "cross-country" move, as in all the way to the other ocean, you want a larger company with more trucks at call. The biggest of these has 5 trucks.

snoobear

Postby snoobear » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:05 pm

Thanks for the info. I checked out AFB, and the problem for us is we're moving from an apartment complex, which has NO street access for a company like ABF to park a trailer for us to load, to a house. The house on the other end has street access, but we don't know anyone there to help us unload the truck! And yes, it really is coast to coast: midwestern California to eastern Virginia!

What is BE? I googled it, and nothing came up.

Alas, packing and driving our own, say, Uhaul isn't possible, either, b/c between the time of departure and the time of arrival of our stuff, we have a family funeral, wedding and reunion to attend! Guess we're going to have to get some help somewhere to pay for a full service mover....

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:37 pm

BE is Broadway Express. You can read 97 reviews of them on a sticky at the top of the messageboard. They are a freight company similar to ABF. There is a FAQ sheet describing the differences between the two companies on a sticky at the top of the messageboard.

You could try calling BE to see if they have availability at the time you want to move. I don't know what you mean by "midwestern California," but they go to some remote places where ABF has no service. They can help you figure out a solution as far as the truck goes. If they can't access the apartment complex, you should try to find local movers who have a small truck who can load that truck like a shuttle and drive it to the big BE truck, which can park on the street. Often the goods can just be transferred directly from the small to the large truck without setting them on the ground. Then in VA, MusicMom can help you identify someone to help unload the truck. There are services like Labor Ready at www.laborready.com that can supply workers.

Return to “Open Community”