Moving NYC to San Francisco in August

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
CLB

Moving NYC to San Francisco in August

Postby CLB » Fri May 13, 2005 10:14 am

I am moving from New York City to San Francisco in early August. I need to find a reputable long distance mover that makes regular trips between NY and CA.

I am not able to use Broadway Express as I will be 7 months pregnant. I have checked into some local companies with good reputations, but it sounds like they make only one trip a month out to CA. I need a shorter window of guaranteed delivery time.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Diane

Re: Moving NYC to San Francisco in August

Postby Diane » Fri May 13, 2005 10:45 am

Hi - in my opinion it's not a good idea to use a local independent company like Moishe's or Big John's for a cross-country move in any case. The reason is that--unlike agents of major van lines--they aren’t set up to handle such moves. One person who used such a company reported that he had to unload his own household goods and move them to the second floor when the driver arrived in CA and couldn’t find helpers. Other people have experienced significant delivery delays while the New York company tried to build up enough loads to fill the truck. In the worst scenario, companies may farm out your move to “some guy going west with a semi”—you have no idea who.

Most if not all agents of major van lines will not haul your goods from NY to CA in their own trucks. They will register the move with the van line and an over-the-road driver will haul it. This is not necessarily a bad thing, because the road drivers for the better majors are usually good, but you should be aware of what will happen. I can recall only one case in which a person was told that an agent would haul his goods in its own truck to CA using its own driver. That was Hall-Lane, a United agent in Commack, so you might want to call them for one of your quotes.

The NYC-area van line agent that has the most good reviews on this board to date is University Van Lines (Atlas) in Rahway, NY. See the end of this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3063 Since I don't know exactly where you are, I'll list some others that have good reviews and comments here, regardless of area.

Companies in northern and central New Jersey with positive reviews and comments on MovingScam.com include Wade Odell Wade (United) in Midland Park, All Brunswick (Wheaton) in Dayton, which has one good review for a cross-country move, Applegate (United) in Manasquan, also with one good review of a move from NJ to TX, and American Movers (Global/North American) in Long Branch. Moving professionals have posted that pricing is lower in central New Jersey than in the north because of the lower cost of doing business there.

In Brooklyn, a company with positive comments on MovingScam.com is Dahill (Mayflower), but it does primarily commercial moves. In Manhattan, Moving Man (Wheaton) has several good reviews. See this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4303 In Westchester County, we have positive comments on Collins Brothers (Atlas) in Larchmont and Gold Service Movers (Wheaton) in White Plains. Companies on Long Island with positive comments include Nassau Worldwide Movers (United) in West Babylon, which has two good reviews on the website, Hall-Lane (United) in Commack, Avatar Moving Systems (Atlas) in Bohemia, and Certified Transportation Group (Atlas) in Islandia.

Note that most agents listed are with United or Atlas. Those two van lines have the highest ratings on Epinions and many moving pros consider them the best. People have posted here that Wheaton is the only major van line that has no debt and that it focuses on COD moves (household moves paid for by individual customers, not by employers). However, moving professionals have also said that because it is a smaller major with fewer agents than United and Atlas, pickup and delivery spreads may be greater with Wheaton.

In all honesty, although I know you've ruled it out, I believe that Broadway Express would offer you the best combination of a relatively short transit time across the U.S. (usually 14 days or less) and no transferring of your goods. The truck that picks up your goods would be the truck that delivers them. You could always use Labor Ready or a high-rated company from www.eMove.com to help you load and unload.

Hope this helps.

CLB

Postby CLB » Fri May 13, 2005 11:21 am

Thanks for the information. I have set up appointments for in-home estimates with University Van Lines, Nassau Worldwide Moving and Moving Man. I will post the results when I receive them.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri May 13, 2005 11:23 am

Great - please be sure to give us your impressions of the various estimators. Also, for the location of University Van Lines I should have said Rahway NJ above, not NY. And I inadvertently omitted one company on Long Island that has good comments here, although no reviews as yet: Molloy Brothers (Mayflower) in Old Bethpage. I also left out one company in NJ that has good comments: Holman Moving Systems (United) in Hackensack.

Note that for local and relatively short-distance moves, the NYC mover that has the largest number of good reviews here (and no bad reviews) is the independent company All Star Moving in Brooklyn at 718-643-4705. All Star doesn't go to CA, however, and only rarely even as far as Chicago.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Postby Guest » Mon May 30, 2005 5:09 pm

advertisement removed by moderator

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:36 pm

Here are the results from my four estimates. I also called Dahill Moving and Storage after the first three estimates varied widely.

Nassau Worldwide Movers, Inc. (United Van Lines agent)
Estimator: Victor Filiano
Weight: 2100 lbs
Discount: 59%
Delivery Window: 8-10 days
Final estimate: $2,395.97 (If the actual weight is less I eat it and if it is more I pay $40 per additional pound). Estimate assumed I would not need shuttles on either end.

He was nice and thorough enough. He got a little defensive at the end when I was questioning him about the estimate and was vague about my inquiries regarding when I would find out for sure how long my stuff would be in transit. I thought he was kind of slick and probably would not feel comfortable entrusting my stuff to this company.

University Van Lines (Atlas agent)
Estimator: Bill Quigley
Weight: 4500 lbs
Discount: 63%
Delivery Window: 5-20 days.
Final estimate: $5,044.21 (Guaranteed not to exceed estimate). Assumes a shuttle on the NYC end ($1,683) but not on the SF end.

He was very personable and provided lots of tips regarding packing. He was very familiar with this site (movingscam.com) and said had probably moved 30 people who came to him from this site. He offered to give me a guaranteed not to exceed estimate right away. I liked him and would feel comfortable doing business with him, but his estimate was by far the highest.

Moving Man, Inc. (Wheaton agent)
Estimator: Vladimir Melikhovski
Weight: 2800 lbs
Discount: 58%
Delivery Window: 5-16 days.
Final estimate: $3,699.93 (Nonbinding estimate.) Assumes a shuttle on the NYC end ($1,202) but not on the SF end.

He was brusque but knowledgeable. He probably spent the least amount of time at my home.

Dahill Moving and Storage (Mayflower agent)
Estimator: Jay Medina
Weight: 2612 lbs
Discount: 59%
Delivery Window: 6-13 days.
Final estimate: $2,910.27 (Nonbinding estimate.) Assumes no shuttle on either end.

He was extremely nice and knowledgeable. He, too, provided lots of information regarding packing various items. He seemed very confident about his abilities as an estimator and explained that he had been a mover before becoming an estimator (I said I had received other estimates that all differed from one another). I liked him a lot and would feel very comfortable doing business with Dahill. He explained that if I chose Dahill I would be working with a scheduler who would be my contact person from here on out and was the most important person in my move. I liked knowing I would have a contact person. He also said that once my stuff got on a truck I could track its progress on line.

Note, all estimates assumed the standard insurance of 60 cents per pound that is automatically included without any additional charge. Every estimator gave me a copy of “Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move” book.

All three nonbinding estimates came in fairly close to each other while the one GNTE estimate came in high. Does this mean estimators under-estimate items when giving a nonbinding estimate to try and get you in the door with the low estimate knowing that you will be paying more on the other end? Likewise, I know that companies giving GNTE estimates have to cover themselves so they don’t lose money. Does this mean that University Van Lines gave me a high estimate to cover itself, and that I probably will pay less when all is said and done? I know Bill Quigley has a good reputation, but I don’t know how to interpret the fact that his estimate was much, much higher than the three other estimates.

I guess I am inclined right now to go with Dahill because of the reasonable estimate and the fact that I feel comfortable with how the company operates. What do others think? What are other people’s experiences regarding nonbinding estimates? Should I expect to pay quite a bit more or can I expect that the estimate is pretty accurate?

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:58 pm

It seems as if the large price difference is due to University's saying that you need a shuttle and estimating your weight much higher. I don't know what to make of this. It seems as if ALL companies should be able to say whether a shuttle will be needed if they're basing it just on whether your residence can be accessed by a semi. Maybe University is anticipating that the Atlas driver won't be able to pick up your load in NY on the day you want to be loaded and so they want to bring it to their warehouse in NJ. (This could be realistic. Nassau and Dahill could end up doing the same thing.) I do know that at least one other person who moved with University ended up paying less than the GNTE when the weight came in lower.

Normally we advise people to avoid non-binding estimates. You might ask Jay Medina why he was able to give this person a GNTE estimate for a similar move, and not you - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4367 Yes, it's not unheard of for estimators to estimate the weight low when they want to make the sale. But in this case the weight variation seems extreme.

You could also ask Jay to quote you on a weight of 4500 pounds and include the shuttle. You may find that his quote is even higher than Bill Quigley's since his discount is less. Bill at University could actually be giving you a more realistic picture of the situation. I came across this old thread where a NAVL agent in NYC (Despatch) gave someone a GNTE that was twice as much as the nonbinding estimates from several other companies - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1669 So this kind of thing has been reported before.

Return to “Open Community”