It is now Aug 11, I was promised delivery no later than Aug.

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Stephanie

It is now Aug 11, I was promised delivery no later than Aug.

Postby Stephanie » Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:39 am

Holman Moving (Hackensack, NJ) (United rep.) picked up our belongings on July 29 and July 30 ( a long story...), and delivery on the original estimate was promised no later than 8/5. When the bill of lading came in it was moved to 8/7. It is now 8/11 and the united Home Office has informed me that our belingings are still in NJ (we have been in NC for over 12 days), and the ETA is now 8/12. I have been in touch with josh and Eileen (our rep), and I must say that Josh has gone out of his way for me and i thank him for it, but I feel like i am getting the run around from United. I called United Home office about a delay or inconvienece claim, Zona told me that since I do not have claims for food and lodging (I am lucky enough to be staying with my in laws right now), as a "good will" gesture they will offer me a whopping $200! Mind you, my 12 year old son started school today, and we packed only two pairs of shorts and a few t-shirts. I have been polite and nice, etc., (thinking that I would get more by being nice), but I am quickly, quickly losing patience. I tried my best to get more out of her but she won't budge. They promised a certain date for delivery to which they could (it appears0 NEVER deliver on. I am now getting fed up. This may not be a "scam" per se, but its shitty customer service. Any suggestions?
Stephanie

Stephanie

Re: It is now Aug 11, I was promised delivery no later than

Postby Stephanie » Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:30 am

Here's an update - in the last hour, I was called by dispatch in Paterson NJ (remember, my origin agent was Holman in Hackensack), that her driver picked up my goods on AUG. 8, and now delivery will be on -- not August 12, as was told to me about one hour ago, but now August 13! A full one week after my "guaranteed date on the bill of lading (and a full nine days from my original estimate). Maybe in the next hour, my delivery date will end up on Labor day....

Josh

Postby Josh » Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:55 am

Stephanie,

What do you feel is appropriate compensation or what would you like to see happen? This will be my target!

Josh
Last edited by Josh on Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephanie

Postby Stephanie » Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:09 am

Josh: I just emailed you. stephanie

justin

Postby justin » Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:17 am

I wish that my agent was helpful at ALL. My delivery date was no later than 8-11. I called my mover (Schaap, United affiliate in Albany, NY) on 8-08, only to find out my stuff was still there. They have never even returned my phone calls and I have since been dealing with Cindy at United HQ. My goods loaded today (8-12) and are not sceduled to arrive until (8-18), one full week after the last date on my contract.
United HQ wants to offer me a whopping $100 as a "customer service gesture."
I would just suggest that anyone considering a move with United from the Northeast part of the country find another mover! (United HQ even admitted to me that they are having problems in the Northeast this year!)

Josh

Postby Josh » Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:21 am

I would have to say you are correct. We have over a million pounds to load out of the northeast this week!

I don't know the spec's on your shipment, but if you fill me in, I might be able to help.

Josh
Last edited by Josh on Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:54 am

I have a general question:

When a shipper gets compensation such as the $300 that Josh mentioned, who pays for that?

Is it paid by corporate headquarters as a cost of doing business, or does it somehow come out of the pocket of the local agent company?

How about if the shipper gets compensated for items that are damaged or missing? Who pays for that? Does the driver ever have to pay?

justin

Postby justin » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:01 pm

I don't have an answer (except that it was HQ that offered me the $100), but it seems that there should be some sort of meting out of responsibility. I think damages are paid under insurance, though.

Josh

Postby Josh » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:09 pm

Those are general questions with complicated answers.

Normally HQ pays from their commissions the "customer service" gestures.

The agents and drivers normally cover the claims issue. Depending on the amount of the claim, under $1000 normally settled without getting our insurance involved, over that, we normally let the insurance get involved and we pay the $1000 deductible.

Josh
Last edited by Josh on Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:32 pm

Thanks for the information, Josh. If other major companies (or agents) handle these situations differently from the way yours does, I would be interested in knowing about it.

I'm asking these questions because I think that the general financial structure of the moving industry isn't well understood by consumers.

Similarly with dry cleaners--many people think that shop owners have insurance that will pay for damage to items, but in fact I understand that in virtually every case the shop owner has to pay the customer himself.

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:40 pm

If a shipment is late, who pays for the hotel and meals? HQ or the agent? If agent, how does HQ decide which agent (origin, hauling, destination) gets charged back?

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:20 pm

Diane and Guest,

Diane I believe most companies handle it the same as United. I guess it depends if its agency direcyed, or corporate directed. Drivers do have the capibility of settling claims with the customer on the spot, I have heard $250 to $500. Josh if you have other numbers, let me know.

Guest,
I guess it depends on why its late. If the driver is late, and its the drivers fault, I would assume the hauling agent would see a charge back by United. If its the fault of United, because there are no drivers available to handle a shipment and it sits at the booking agents dock until it can be handled, I would venture to guess United HQ takes the hit.

From Vermont down to North Carolina, its been a hell of a summer. Over the last two years, van lines have seen a large decrease in drivers, because after 9/11, business dropped so dramatically. And this summer nobody expected it to be as it is and has been. I am sure they prepared for a slight increase in business, primarily COD business, but not to the extent it has been. National Account business continues to slag behind, as expected with the current economy the way it is.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Stephanie

Postby Stephanie » Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:06 pm

Well everyone, I am now unpacked and internet connected so I wanted to give everone an update and tell them how my move went. We moved from Northern NJ to eastern coastal North Carolina. As you may recall, I obtained estimates from four major van lines, United, Paul Aprin, North American and I believe Allied. The lowest estimated pounds we received was 7400 (Paul Arpin) and the highest was Allied at 15,800. We went with United who quoted 9800 lbs. After unloading a lot in a garage sale, we ended up with 9920 lbs. So United really was right on with the estimated weight.

We booked with Holman in Hackensack, our destination agent was Michael's company in Raleigh, NC.

I wanted to use a credit card so that I could dispute charges if I had to do so. When we booked with Holman, they advised me up front that we would be charged 3 percent to use a credit card. (they accomplished this by changing discount from 63 percent to 60 percent) I have been told that you should try and negotiate that aspect of it, and see if they will eat the credit card surcharge. But since they were up front about it, I did not complain. For those booking moves, I guess when you are obtaining estimates you should negotiate the credit card fee. In any event, I would definetely suggest that the surcharge is worth it anyway, at least you have some recourse with a credit card.

When Holman came to my house for the estimate, I was given the dates of July 29/30 for pick up and August 1 for delivery but no later than August 5. "guaranteed" My son was starting school on August 11, and I wanted to be somehwat settled by that time. So these dates worked for me.

Holman offered us free boxes, dish packs, etc. The only thing was that we had to pick them up. That was not a big deal, as I have an SUV. The boxes were in pretty good condition and we received the wardrobe bars, dishpacks and even three boxes of papers. I figured that alone saved me a few hundred. Important note to all of you getting used boxes. Make sure that you cross off or remove the old inventory stickers. You don't want your stuff getting confused with someone elses on the truck.

I was told by Holman that they would give me a call the Friday before pick up and let me know the date they were coming. Friday came and went, and no call. I called on Monday, and they still could not tell me whether they were coming the following day or Wednesday. Of course, at this time I was upset and becoming concerned. At 5:00 pm on Monday, Holman told me that they could not confirm for Tuesday so it would be Wednesday. I was disappointed, but in a way relieved because we still had more packing to do. During this time, I posted here and Josh got involved. He spoke to my agent and explained that they could not confirm a crew - he told me this happens when it is so busy. He told me that my agent confirmed that the pick up would probably be on Wednesday.

On Tuesday monring, my agent called (9am), and told me that things changed, she had a crew come in and they could load me beginning in two hours. I was not done packing yet, believing that I had an extra day. I said no, that they had to give me 24 hours notice pursuant to the contract. She called back and asked whether they could start today with the things that I had ready and then come back to finish on Wednesday. I agreed. I was now very nervous, but we packed as much as we could. I called Josh who helped calm me down. They came about 11:00 am, (four guys), and they were extrememly nice and competent. Not one scratch on the wall. I fed them lunch, gave them sodas, and then tipped them $20 each. They came back the following day to finish up. They worked for Holman, in the warehouse. I was extrememly pleased with their professionalism. The only problem was when I reviewed my Bill of Lading, the delivery date window was extended by two days to August 7. I called my agent, and she did not know what had happened. But I thought, oh well, I can still have plenty of time to get things settled if my belongings come on August 7 instead of August 5 as originally promised. It should also be noted that I was able to stay at my in laws when I arrived in NC, so it was not a huge burden to us at that point.

On August 1, from NC, I contacted my agent (NJ) to find out when they would be delivering my things. She told me that they had no drivers yet, and that it probably would not be delivered until the end of the window period of August 7. She told me they would contact me 24 hours before delivery.

I kept in touch with her, she kept telling me that they were still waiting for a driver. On August 6 (or thereabouts), I learned that my stuff was still in NJ, and they had no drivers. They were hoping to get to me by the 8th but could not confirm. I called Josh who looked into it, I called United headquarters. To make a very long and stressful story short, my stuff finally came on August 13. Much later than the 5th as originally promised and after the later August 7th "guaranteed" date that the agent surrepticiously changed on the bill of lading.

I was told by united HQ, delay/claims department, that I could be compensated 100 % of my lodging, and 50 % of my food expense for the time after August 7 until delivery. As I mentioned earlier, I was staying with relatives, so this was really not going to help me. The most they would give me was $200 to buy school clothes and school supplies etc., for my 12 year old who started school on August 11. I was extremely upset. I called Josh, who was able to get HQ to up the "gesture" to $300. I am thankful to Josh for this, but am still annoyed with United. The way that I looked at it, if I had to stay at a Holiday Inn at the beach (my new address), easily the expense would have been $125 per nite. About $750. For a family fo four, three meals a day would have easily been $200 per day (compensated at 50 percent at another $600). United would have had to reimbuse me approximately $1350 which they would have been willing to do, (I think), but instead because I stayed with relatives, they only offered $300, (which was only after Josh talked with them and got them up an extra $100) I grudgingly accepted this sum, but it still makes me mad.

The driver and his two man crew were also very professional and very good. I tipped them $100 and gave them lunch and sodas. (the day they unloaded us had to be about 98 degrees and they had to take up our things up a flight of stairs. They worked their butts off.

Last but not least, I only had one damaged piece of furniture which was old anyway, and one broken vase. There were no scratches on my hardwood floors (old house and new house), and the crew disassembled and re-assembled all of the beds, cribs, and the pain in the neck captain bed of my 12 year old.

My only two gripes are the delay in delivery, whcih I blame on my origination agent and the fact that the "gesture" of then delay was so minimal. $300 is unsatisfactory.

On my survey, if I get one, I will lay the blame on Holman in Hackensack. I believe they were not up front with me. They should have kept me informed as to the delivery and pick up and failed to do so. I truly believe that if it were not for Josh (who was an enormous help to me and went over and above what any human would ever do and remember he had no financial stake here), and this website (and mentioning it over and over again to whoever would listen at United), my stuff would still be languishing in NJ and I would be getting $200.

By the way, I am still waiting for my $300 check so I will keep you all posted.

Lastly, we toyed with stopping payment with the credit card, after delivery, but I decided against it. I was just happy to have my things, and have them here in one piece.

Total move, $3920 plus $180 in tips, $40 in drinks and lunches less $300 "gesture"

All in all I hope that I never have to move again. I would still recommend United, but I would remain wary on these guaranteed delivery dates, especially in July and August. I think that they overbook. Just give yourself a window if at all possible.

Thanks for everyone's help, especially Josh.

In conclusion, I would urge anyone using this board for information to donate. The information is invaluable and it really helps to have the people here to help you.

Stephanie

[code][/code]

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:39 pm

Thanks for your follow-up.

It looks like your check was mailed out on 8/20 or 8/21. You should receive it soon!

scammed

Postby scammed » Sat Aug 23, 2003 8:31 am

Stephanie,

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to let us know how things worked out. So many times we never get to hear what happened. I'm glad that you got your things OK, and are now getting back to a normal life. Also, Kudos to Josh - you've proven yourself again. It's a relief to know there are guys like you out there!

TG

Return to “Open Community”