ABF for Boston area to Chicago area

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
yc

ABF for Boston area to Chicago area

Postby yc » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:14 pm

Now that I have decided to use a self-pack mover and just hire loading/unloading helpers, I have a new question.
A friend of mine moved from Boston-Chicago last summer (around August 15) and paid ~$850 for ABF Door to Door for 5 linear feet. The estimate I was quoted on the website for 6 linear feet (which I guess is the new minimum) is $1666. Does anyone have an idea as to why it's so much higher now? I'm looking at spending an additional $400-500 for the helpers, so my move is going to be over $2000, which seems steep. I am planning to move out June 30 and into the new place July 16 - is it just the timing?

Diane

Re: ABF for Boston area to Chicago area

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:44 pm

I would guess that it's partly the timing (mid-month is usually cheaper than end-of-month, especially June 30, which is probably the busiest moving day of the year). Also, both ABF and BE have raised their prices since last year, partly because of the large increase in fuel prices since then. Yes, ABF's minimum for door-to-door is now 6 feet, not 5 feet as before. Terminal-to-terminal is 5 feet.

ABF has a calendar feature on its website that allows you to see what your cost would be if you change your moving date. Go to this page - http://www.upack.com/moving-quotes/quote.asp - and click on "calendar" at the bottom. You'll see that you could save money by moving on June 29 rather than June 30, for example. Your friend who moved in mid-August probably got an off-peak discount.

Postby guest » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:23 am

YC,

What moving help are you hiring? I am doing the reverse of your trip and was planning on using Labor Ready. Do you have someone better/different?

Thanks.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:42 am

Guest, here's a thread on which various Boston-area local movers are discussed - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4586 Within that thread, I mention two other threads that also have good comparative information. You might be able to hire workers from those companies who would conceivably be more skilled than the ones from Labor Ready. Hope this helps.

yc

Postby yc » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:39 am

Well, my move is going to be pretty complicated. Since ABF does not offer free storage (which I will need for 2 weeks) I'm going to be storing my things at a local U-Haul storage center. The good thing is that if I use an emove.com helper to help me load/unload (or basically do any part of my move), U-Haul give me 1 free month storage. You just have to tell U-Haul that you are using emove.com. Anyway, I'll be using helpers 3 times during my move.

(1) I am getting a helper from emove.com to help me move my things from my apartment to a U-Haul storage center about a mile or two away (I am renting a U-Haul truck to do this). I picked Joe Stoltman who is listed as "Heavy Lifting Help" based on his reviews and also b/c I just need one person on this day. I will write up a review after my experience with him.

(2) Then two weeks after I move my stuff into U-Haul, my ABF truck is coming and I'm getting 2 people from Blodgett Express to help me load the ABF truck. I picked them based on what I've read from this website as well as their reviews on emove.com. Also, when I called the person (Tracy Blodgett, he's in charge of the family-run operation) I felt very comfortable with what he knew, based on his experience with U-Haul as well as with ABF. For example, I am confident in his ability to install the bulkhead thing on the ABF truck, which is great since I probably would have difficulties. Again, I'll write a review after I work with them.
(1) http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... s&start=75
(2) http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... tt+express

(3) Once I get to Chicago, I'm planning to hire Del's Movers, also based on reviews from here. I don't have the link from this website, but you can do a search in the community forum for them. Here is their own website: http://www.coopermarketing.com/movers/
I will also write a review of them.

Hope this is helpful! I know this website has been a great resource for me, so I am eager to reciprocate with what I've learned once the process is all over for me.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:51 am

It's VERY helpful, especially the tip about the one month free storage with U-Haul if you use someone found through www.eMove.com. Thanks so much for posting all this, and good luck with your move!

Return to “Open Community”