having a good experience so far

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Marin

having a good experience so far

Postby Marin » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:23 am

hey I just wanted to say this is an awesome site. I'm moving from RI to AZ, and with the help of this site did extensive research and followed all the steps about in-home estimates etc. The company i chose was Conlon, based in Seekonk Mass, a branch of United. They were the most respectful, patient with my questions (it's amazing how some of these movers get so angry with a single question) gave the best estimate (even though they came first and didn't see anyone else's estimate) and even after I've signed papers they've continued to be extremely helpful and considerate. The moving vans come on the 27th. I'll post a follow up.

I also wanted to say i almost used a different company - Walecka & sons, a branch of Atlas. The only reason I didn't was because they were based much farther away and i would have to pay to get boxes, plus their estimate was $300 more, but I was extremely impressed with them and their agent that gave me the estimate. If circumstances had been different I would've gone with them in a heartbeat.

Diane

Re: having a good experience so far

Postby Diane » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:09 pm

It's great to hear such good reports. Please do get back to us because many people in RI ask for help finding a mover.

dazzla

Postby dazzla » Thu May 12, 2005 1:56 pm

Any news? I'm thinking of using them also.

dazzla

Postby dazzla » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:46 am

Well... we did go with Conlon Moving for RI - CA and it all went perfectly.

After contacting Conlon Moving on the phone, Michael Carolla came to our house promptly the next day to give us a BNTE estimate that came out at 5,000 lbs. The total estimated cost was $4,984.96 that included fees for an extra stop with repacking for mini storage and mattress and box spring boxes (he did say that a $1/lb was a good rule of thumb for a move over that distance). They also gave us a free $200 allowance for boxes. Michael was very friendly, professional, and not at all pushy and was happy to answer any questions.

To sign up we visited their offices unannounced. We met with Laurie Davis that followed Michael's precedent. Laurie had no problem pulling up our quote. Everyone was very friendly and professional.

We arranged a 2-day window in 10 days for pick up. We also picked up our free boxes the next day. $200 goes VERY quickly.

Laurie contacted us a few days before the pickup to let us know exactly which day it would be.

2 days out from the pickup our driver Stan Lein contacted us to let us know what time he would be arriving. The day before he asked if he could come around and start the inventory to save some time the next day. That worked for us. On the day of the pickup Stan arrived on time, if not slightly early. Stan and his 2 helpers worked hard to get everything loaded in record time. They took good care of all our things, once again very friendly and professional.

Stan arrived on time on the day he said. Which was quite impressive as it was only 5 days for a coast-to-coast move. We were able to track him on the united van lines web site http://www.unitedvanlines.com/hhgd/track.htm (make sure you include any dashes in your order number). It was nice to see our things arrive on the same truck driven by the same guy.

Once again Stan and this time 1 helper worked hard to get our things unloaded quickly. The guy helping him was even jogging back to the truck! They were fast and very careful and more than willing to put things wherever we wanted them.

It turned out that the estimate was over, but only buy about 200 lbs that I think is pretty damn close. So that combined with us deciding against the mini storage meant that our bill went down from $4,984 to $4,385, which is nice.

So... all in all an excellent experience, I highly recommend Conlon and United Van Lines to anyone.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:50 am

Hi - wonderful report, and if only all moves went this well! It was great that you were able to visit Conlon's office and warehouse. I wish more people would do that kind of thing because it can tell you a LOT about quality. I've already mentioned Conlon (United) to another person moving from the Providence area and will continue to do so. Thank you again for coming back to post.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”