SMALL move from MD to FL...any suggestions??

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
hxcxdiva

SMALL move from MD to FL...any suggestions??

Postby hxcxdiva » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:58 am

Hello all! I am making a small move (probably under 1200lbs, 300 cu.ft.) from Glen Burnie, MD to Melbourne, FL in a few months and am searching for a reputable moving company to do the move, otherwise I can probably do it myself. Does anyone have any companies to suggest that are reasonably priced for small long-distance moves?? I have recieved a quote from Smooth Move Moving & Storage in Jessup, MD but they seem kinda sketchy to me. I don't think I am going to use them until I hear from one of their references. Well, any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated!!!

Much love & respect,

Maureen

MusicMom

Re: SMALL move from MD to FL...any suggestions??

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:50 pm

No, don't go with Smooth Move. They are a scam mover with complaints here. Do a search with their name in quotes. And if they already seem sketchy to you, then why even consider them?

They are owned (and the principal office is) by:
YIGAL SUISA
APT. B 2
8542 STORCH WOODS DR.
SAVAGE, MD 20763
If that name seems familiar to any volunteers, that's because the owner of Giant Van Lines is Gabriel Suisa. I'm keeping track of all the scam movers in MD that are run by siblings and/or cousins. Maryland seems big on families.

Plus, if your quote contains Cubic Feet, that's a big no-no.

Many of the major van lines are pretty booked up right now. When was your planned moveout date? I have been mentioning JK Moving for a while as a local mover with several good reviews, then we recently got a glowing review for a long-distance one, too. Since you're going on a pretty major route, I bet they could work for you. Also, a small move could be fit into a larger truck already going to FL.

The rest of the movers in this area that have good reviews are: (in no particular order)
Victory Van Corp (Alexandria)
Security Storage (DC)
Von Paris (Alexandria)
Hilldrup (Baltimore)

hxcxdiva

Postby hxcxdiva » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:04 pm

Thanks MusicMom!!! I will definately look into those. I just got an in-home estimate from an agent of North American Van Lines. They seemed pretty organized and professional...I think they are called the Moving Connection...any insight on them??

I will definately check out the afore mentioned companies and see what their rates are. Thanks again for your help!!!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:34 pm

I assuming that this is the Moving Connection you spoke with (since there are several "Moving Connections" around the country.
http://www.themovingconnection.com
Nancy may be able to give some insight, but from what I see, they seem OK. If you hire them and they do a good move, I really want to know.

hxcxdiva

Postby hxcxdiva » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:04 pm

They, so far, have been completely professional and organized, which to me is a big thing. They came by yesterday to do an in home estimate and I was pretty impressed. However, I'll let you know how the estimate results go. I have downsized my load once again, so that I can buy new stuff when I get there so hopefully the estimate will be reasonable with the small amount of belongings. I'll keep you posted.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:15 pm

Any chance you can get down to ONLY boxes? Then you can just mail everything and have a great time shopping when you get there. :wink:

Return to “Open Community”