Long Island to Chicago.... Help me decide on a mover.

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jondav

Long Island to Chicago.... Help me decide on a mover.

Postby jondav » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:03 pm

This is site has been very educational and has helped immensly in planning my move. Now comes the time when I need the help of all you experts. I am moving from Long Island, NY to Naperville, IL at the end of this month. I have received 5 estimates and need to decide by tomorrow morning which one to go with. Here are the details:

I will have two stops - a two bedroom apartment and a self-storage location. I will be delivering to two locations in IL.

Nassau Worldwide Movers (United Van Lines)
Dominick Germano came to my place and gave me a non-binding estimate of $433.25. This estimate is based on 5481# and includes a shuttle for the pickup. The estimate included a discount of 52%.

I could not get a BTNE estimate as he did not want to take the time to see my storage unit. I was shocked by the weight and, as I was to learn, this is the largest estimate I received in terms of weight and one of two movers who told me a shuttle was a neccessity.

Optional packing is avaialbe for $491.00

Pesonallity wise I found Domminick polite, but a bit of a salesman. However, he did provide the Rules and Regualtions book.

Hall-Lane Van Lines (United Van Lines)
John Leavy provided an estimate of $2788.41 for 3602#. This is the lowest estimate in terms of dollars and weight. No shuttle required. Optional packing is available for $500. The discount given was 52%

Again, I could not get a BTNE estimate. I thought that John was very knowledgagle and took his time to explain the whole process as well as giving packing suggestions and advice. I feel comfortable with this company, except for the fact that it is the lowest estimate for both dollars and pounds.

I was NOT given the Rules and Regulations book.

Certified Transportation (Atlas Van Lines)
Bill Fosdick estimated my move at 4500# for a cost of $2936. This includes a shuttle only for pickup at the self storage place. Packing is availalbe for $758. The discount was 60%.

Bill was friendly, but seemed kind of rushed. I think that his weight estimate was the most accurate of the three. I could not get a BTNE estimate.

I WAS given the Rules and Regulations book.

Collins Bros. (Mayflower)
Frank Pastore came out and gave me an estimate of $3115.45 for 4564#. Packing is avaialbe for $600. The estimate included a discount of 54%.

Frank was ok and offered some packing suggestions. I did feel pressured to make a decision. This time I was given the Rules and Regulations book.

Flat Rate Moving
I used Flat Rate two years ago when I moved from Manhattan to Long Island and thought that they did a great job. But, as we all know, a long distance move is a completely different animal than a local move.

Simone quoted me $4408 based on a weight of 5350#. I do not know what tarrif was used. Some packing is included in their service. Simone did a thourgh inventory including my storage space. However, she did not give me the Rules and Regulation book and seemed vague as to who would acutally be hauling by stuff to Illinois.

So there you have it. Any thoughts or comments? I am leaning towards Hall-Lane, not because they are the cheapest, but becasue I liked the service and I have a recommendation from a collegue. My ruuner ups would be Collins or Certified. I have ruled out Flat Rate as I just have too many questions about them.

Would appreciate any feedback that people may have.

Jondav
Last edited by jondav on Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diane

Re: Long Island to Chicago.... Help me decide on a mover.

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:31 pm

Hi - did Hall-Lane tell you whether they would self-haul your shipment using their own truck and driver? I've heard that they sometimes do this. If they would, that is a big plus in my mind.

Also, could you get them to give you a quote on 4500 pounds in case they underestimated the poundage? That way you won't have sticker shock at the end. I wonder why they didn't think you needed a shuttle at the storage unit while Certified did. That is a bit worrisome because that, too, could increase your cost if it turns out to be necessary.

Disappointing that you couldn't get any GNTEs, but I guess it's because they couldn't see all your stuff that's in storage. Interesting that only Mayflower gave you the booklet.

jondav

Postby jondav » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:52 pm

Diane,
Thanks for the fast response. In reference to your questions:

1. I did not ask if Hall-Lane would self-haul, but i will. I just assumed that it would enter the van line system.

2. I did get a per unit cost from Hall-Lane so I do know that it would cost me an additional $55 per 100 pounds of added weight. So for 4500# I would be looking at and additional $495 or so.

3. Hall-Lane has been at my storage facility many times and are confident they can get in and out without issue. I will confirm this one more time before signing anything. I don't know if the other companies have been to this facitily before.

4. I need to edit my post regarding the book. Nassau Worldwide gave me the book as did Certified. The Certified book was packaged differently from the others that I received and did not recognize it until I went through the entire folder of information that they left.

Again, thanks for the help.

Jondav

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:45 pm

Hi again - Hall-Lane sounds good to me, too. Out of curiosity, what did your colleague say about them? I really hope they can self-haul you, but the sales rep may not be able to promise that.

If you go with them, PLEASE come back to report because it will be our first review of a United agent on the NY side of the NY metro area. I would like to find a good one there that I can mention to people with confidence. In NJ, Applegate and Wade Odell Wade seem to be good, but they're pretty far from Brooklyn, etc.

Postby guest » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:29 am

I know I have heard of a wonderful agency in Staten Island called Victory Worldwide/United Van Lines. They have bent backwards for a friend of mine and if I indeed lived in NY and needed to move they'd be the ones I'd call. But due to the Peak season for moving companies at this time, alot of agencies are at capacity and turning moves down. So good luck!

jondav

Postby jondav » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:37 pm

Update:

Well my plans for using Hall-Lane have change. When my estimate was done I was told that they would be able to handle my move during my required time frame. The next day when I called to book the move I was told that the earliest that they could pickup would be July 6. This does not work seeing how I have to be out of my apartment by the 1st.

So now i have moved on to plan "B" which was to use Certified Tranpsort (Atlas). Certified has agreed to handle my move with a pickup window of 6/27-6/30. That window will be narrowed down to a firm date next week.

I will update this thread as developments warrant.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:40 pm

OK - remember that people say you can get free full replacement value coverage with Atlas if you have AAA.

mrbarnard

Postby mrbarnard » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:51 pm

"OK - remember that people say you can get free full replacement value coverage with Atlas if you have AAA."

What does this mean? I have AAA and would like to know.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:59 pm

People have posted that instead of buying coverage from Atlas to cover repair or replacement of your household goods at their full value, which could cost you several hundred dollars, you can get the coverage free if your load is over 2500 pounds and you're a member of AAA. Several people have been able to get this perk and only one said that his/her Atlas agent said the offer was no longer in effect (or something). I'm not an expert on valuation and that's about all I know.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:49 pm

OK - "jondav" never came back to post but luckily someone else sent him a PM and has just reported what happened:
nyaccent wrote:Jondav [couldn't get a GNTE but] ended up paying less for his move than quoted. . . . He wasn't happy with Certified's tracking system or the dispatcher. They weren't on top of the move. . . . Two glasses were broken....everything else was great! He didn't realize he never posted an update. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5998

So this is our first review of Certified (Atlas) and it is a positive one. Both "jondav" and "nyaccent" had Bill Fosdick as the estimator.

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:27 am

Bill Fosdick is coming by tomorrow for me to sign a contract for the move. He said he will give me a GNTE estimate. To be on the safe side, I am adding extra boxes that I may or may not have since I am still not finished packing. I probably will have the 30 boxes that I originally said, but I am going to have him count 10 more boxes. I have the original boxes for my toaster over, coffee maker, brita pitcher etc. Would it be more beneficial for me to pack them in the original boxes and then put those boxes in one box, or leave them separate. Would that be something that I should ask Bill. If they are separate, that adds boxes to the load, but those items no way would weigh 30 pounds that they use to determine weight. If the weight comes in less, then I would be paying less. Am I correct on that? I am also going to talk to Bill about the tracking system as well as asking about the AAA insurance discount. My road service that I now have with Allstate is running out on Oct 10th and I will be signing up with AAA. I will report back tomorrow night on how it went. I also will report back the entire experience using Certified.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:32 am

My personal opinion--it would be easier for the driver if you pack all those small boxes into one larger box. Drivers complain about the number of tiny boxes that we consumers have. See this photo that I took of a recent Broadway Express move:

You could show this photo to Bill and ask his opinion.

The AAA deal may apply only if you are over a certain weight such as 2500 pounds. You should ask about this, but I think you are below that weight.

My impression from your prior posts, which I have just reviewed, is that Bill has not given you a GNTE before but now he is going to. In that case you will pay less than the quote if your weight is less, as long as you are above whatever their minimum weight is. I think you may fare better if you tell Bill that this will be the first full review of Certified on MovingScam and you hope to be able to post a good review. Whatever happens will be included in my update of the Epinions review linked to below, which I hope to post next month.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:06 am

Thanks Diane. I had to laugh at that photo because that is what my shipment was looking like, except I do have 15 rubbermaid containers. I will ask Bill his opinion when he comes this afternoon.

Yes, you are correct. When he came over the first time I got a regular non-binding estimate. He estimated the weight at 2100lbs for a total of $1666.75 There is a charge there that I don't know what it means. It is for $51.87 and it is called I.R.R. 4.00%

After Plycon came over and gave me a binding estimate, less weight and more money, I decided I had nothing to lose to call Bill back. Bill had said that if I decided to go with Certified, he would come back with the contract and go over the inventory again. So since he had said he would go over the items again it was then i decided to ask him if he could give me a binding GNTE estimate. He said not a problem.

Certified's minimum weight is 1000 pounds.
Hall-Lane's minimum is 2100 pounds
Plycon i have no idea.

I probably will be under the 2500 minimum for AAA insurance. Now Atlas has pricing for insurance. Do I take it out with them. Full coverage based upon my weight would be $178, no deductible.

Also thanks for the tip about telling Bill that this will be the first full review of Certified on movingscam site. They can benefit from a good review. So far I only have positive things to say about them.

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:40 pm

Bill Fosdick just left my apartment. I got a binding GNTE based upon 2400 pounds. His original estimate was based upon 2100 lbs. We added 5 more boxes to the original estimate. He thought I had added an extra coffee table and 2 end tables since I mentioned that I may or may not be moving them. When I told him they were included in the first estimate he kept the weight at 2400. It really didn't matter since it is a GNTE estimate. He told me the only time they will weight the truck is after it is loaded and not on delivery. If the weight is less, I will pay less.

They do not accept travelor's checks he said.

The price came in at $1873.35

It was less than Plycon's binding estimate based upon 2200 pounds. Plycon's estimate was $1947 Since it was a binding estimate it was a firm price. Also had I signed the contract with Plycon when I first got the estimate the fuel surcharge would have been 18%. He said that wouldn't change either unless it was dramatically different.

Pick-up of my belongings will be on 10-27-05 Date of delivery is estimated as 11-01-05

Bill said I should put the small boxes into larger boxes. Then I showed him the picture above and he laughed. He now is interested in this website and will be reading the posts.

He didn't know what jondav was talking about when he said the tracking system wasn't good as they only use tracking for corporate moves.

I told him that I plan on giving a step by step review of my move and I hope I can give a positve review when it is all said and done. Up til now, I am very pleased with my decision. In my opinion, Bill was very professional and represented the company very well.

Again, thanks Diane and all for your help in this process.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:13 pm

You're quite welcome. You asked about the term "I.R.R." That abbreviation stands for Insurance-Related Revenue. This is something that was inserted into the 400N Tariff after 9/11 and from discussions about it on www.relorow.com I understand that it is unrelated to valuation but has to do with increased security threats and trucking being considered high risk. The drivers and some agents are exercised about it because the carriers (van lines) are taking part of the I.R.R. fee without being exposed to any increased risk. It is the agents and drivers who are exposed to increased risk so they should get the whole I.R.R., or so their argument goes. Anyway, this is the tariff item as presented by a poster on Relorow.com:

ITEM 60
INSURANCE-RELATED GENERAL INCREASE

All shipments transported under the provisions of this tariff are subject to an Insurance-Related General Increase Surcharge equal to four (4.0%) percent of the applicable transportation charges.

The Insurance-Related General Increase is to aid carrier’s recovery of increased carrier liability insurance expenses and will apply for the period of time that this item remains in effect.

To determine the surcharge to apply, multiply the applicable transportation charge and the applicable pickup and delivery transportation charge on SIT shipments (Item 210) times 4.0%.

Your I.R.R. is less than 4.0% of the transportation charge, which I can't explain, but an agent person on Relorow.com was commenting, "I don't know why the van line takes any, especially since some of them own the insurance company selling the high cost insurance." - http://www.relorow.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=338

Interesting, huh? As I've commented before, the moving industry is not a monolith as I originally thought. Instead, the various components such as the drivers, sales reps, agency owners, and van lines are often at odds with each other over money. PS Why don't you have a little fun with Bill and ask him whether he knows what the I.R.R. is--see whether he knows.

With regard to your question about whether to purchase valuation coverage, it is a small price to pay for peace of mind and I think you should do it. You have a GNTE so you know that your total cost is going to be quite reasonable.

Return to “Open Community”