Interstate move - Chicago to Raleigh, NC - Help!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
oar64

Interstate move - Chicago to Raleigh, NC - Help!

Postby oar64 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:39 pm

First off, wonderful site! I've spent hours here, in addition to other sites (eg, angieslist.com), and now my head is swimming. My family is moving in 2.5 weeks and the panic is setting in. If anyone would care to comment, or offer suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it!

Interstate move from Chicago to Raleigh, NC, roughly June 29-July 6.
3 Bedroom, SFH, approx 3000 sqft.

I've already received estimates from the following companies. All estimates include transportation and labor including packing of breakable items:

1. Golan's Moving & Storage (Skokie, IL) $4395, guaranteed not to exceed estimate, based on 1260 cubic feet (a red flag, I know) & weight (9k lbs.)

2. First Class Moving & Storage (North Brook, IL) $7386, binding estimate, based on 1950 cubic feet & weight (14k lbs.)

3. Adco Van & Storage (Barrington, IL - agent for United) $7828, binding price proposal, based on weight (14k lbs).

4. Century Moving & Storage (Lombard, IL - agent for Mayflower) $7493, guaranteed not to exceed estimate, based on weight (13k lbs). I've read a lot of negative reviews of this company, so I'm close to ruling them out.

5. ABF U Pack $2000 + Albert Relogistics for labor $4080, total = $6080.

Diane

Re: Interstate move - Chicago to Raleigh, NC - Help!

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:58 pm

Hi - rule out any company quoting you by cubic feet (i.e. the first two). Golan's quote is seriously low-ball and I feel sure they will find some way to get more money out of you.

Adco (United) has been discussed here before - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2348 It looks OK but it seems to be a smaller agent. I would rule out Century just on the basis that it screwed a consumer in a high-profile case.

Your quote with ABF is $6080 and with Adco is $7828. If it were me, I would pay the extra $1800 and go with a full-service mover, because you have a lot of stuff, it will be much less hassle for you, and (especially) your things will be much better protected in an air-ride rather than spring-ride trailer. You should firm it up with Adco immediately because it's very late and otherwise you may not be able to book with them. I assume that you have a Binding estimate that won't go down if your weight goes down, but I think that's OK in this case. A GNTE would be better if they'll give you one.

Planes and Armstrong are the two United agents in Chicago that have good reviews on this website, so I was a little hesitant about Adco, but I just asked a friend of mine who is a United agent and he said they are a family-owned company and OK. How did you happen to get a quote from them and not a better-known agent?

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:02 am

Oar,

I second Dianes remarks to decide immediately. Most companies are already booked, or closed off.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

oar64

Postby oar64 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:17 am

<<but I just asked a friend of mine who is a United agent and he said they are a family-owned company and OK. How did you happen to get a quote from them and not a better-known agent?>>

Actually, I found Adco in the yellow pages. That was prior to discovering the movingscam.com site, and Angie's List.

Their estimate is binding, so I realize that we'll be paying the fixed amount even if our true weight is less than the estimated weight. Unfortunately, Adco was only willing/able to accept the move at this late date with the binding estimate stipulation. Their estimated weight was 14k lbs, whereas another mover also estimated 14k lbs, Century estimated 13k lbs, and Golan's estimated somewhere around 9k lbs.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:26 am

My friend said they are probably going to be self-hauling you in one of their own trucks, since agents can't put any more moves into the United system (i.e. using a United truck and driver) until July 5. That's no doubt why they gave you a Binding estimate. They have to know how much they are making on the move. I know they are your highest estimate. However, I still feel that if it were my decision, I would go with them. With a small, family-owned company like Adco you will be getting personal attention and presumably your things will be delivered in the same truck they are picked up in, and if they know you are posting here, you may get an especially good move.

Return to “Open Community”