all my sons

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
reno

all my sons

Postby reno » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:29 pm

Hello there,

I'm wondering if anyone might have had any experience with All my sons moving and storage. I'm planning a move from NYC to Reno. I went ahead and did all of the checking that MovingScam.com recommends. In their inspection record their average is much higher than the national average, but everything else is perfect, especially the price. I'm not sure what to do-- this is the only company of the many I've looked at that I'm inclined to say yes to. Others are either too cheap (in all ways) or too expensive. Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Mark

Michael

Re: all my sons

Postby Michael » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:48 pm

Mark,

I can tell you here in NC that All My Sons has a horrible reputation. I had a client call me this week crying. She was upset she didnt listen to me in regards to their background and selected them anyway, probably cause of price. The manager that came out to see her said the majors always talk bad about them and so on. Which of course I told her they would tell her. A company that has over 50 complaints with the BBB in the last 36 months.

Anyway, she has allowed me to use and give out her number for people interested in using them. Again, this is the one in NC and not NY. But the apple doesnt fall far from the tree. If your interested PM me your email address and I will gladly send you her phone number on Monday.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:09 am

Hmm. I thought I'd made a reply to this one.

Which NY AMS are you thinking of using? THere's one in Long Island that is not licensed, one in Westchester that is, and one in NJ that is licensed. The BBB has no record for any of these (?).

AMS is a franchise-type operation, and some are good, and some (like in NC) are horrible. I know the one in Savage, MD has terrible reviews all over the place.

I think there are better companies to use in NYC. Diane will have some good suggestions of movers that have had good reviews here.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:21 am

Mark,

I can see where you're posting from so I know that you're a smart person. Don't go with this very marginal company. You can get a low price AND good quality by using a freight company (ABF or Broadway Express) or the full-services companies Delancey Street Movers or Moovers, Inc. on one of their return trips to CA.

The ABF and BE reviews are on stickies at the top of the messageboard and these are the threads for CA-based Delancey and Moovers for contact information and reviews -
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4655
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2377

You can use ABF or BE even if you're moving from Manhattan, and you can hire workers from LaborReady.com or similar to help you load and unload. ABF has a 6-linear-foot minimum and BE has a 10-foot minimum. The former is about the size of a 1BR and the latter the size of a 2BR apartment. Delancey Street and Moovers have minimums of about 2000 pounds, the equivalent of a large studio or sparsely-furnished 1BR. You can move less than the minimum but you have to pay for the minimum space or weight.

You might also want to take a look at my Epinions review article linked to below.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:15 pm

Dear Michael and Diane,

Thank you soooo much for your replies. I think I will now avoid All my Sons. I would have originally gone straight away with BE but after having contacted them it seems that they will be unable to park in front of my building. This means I would need to obtain a shuttle and helpers for double the hours to load, unload and reload. In any case, I will contact the moving company you suggested. Thank you. I also came across a company here in NYC called FlatRate. FlatRate has flying colors on my background check of them except that they go by the cubic foot. There's always a but somewhere....
I feel like with these moving companies I'm trying to work with used car dealers. They are all incredibly charming and I don't trust any of them.

Thanks again,
Mark

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:36 pm

Mark - I would not use FlatRate for a move of this distance, although they might be OK for a local or short-distance move of 200 miles or so. The reason is that they will probably have someone else actually move you--you have no idea who.

Regarding BE, if they can't park in front of your building then Delancey and Moovers won't be able to do that either, because they all have the same size trucks. Where does BE plan to park? If you can find out, then you can hire a small local company to move your things into their small truck and then the small truck can load into the BE truck. Another idea that I've been tossing around with people is having a company like All Star Moving in Brooklyn pick up your stuff, then hold it at their warehouse for transfer to the BE truck. They are on a street that can be accessed by the BE truck. However, I don't know how expensive this would be. If you talk to BE, they should have thought about this and might be able to advise you. I assume that you're in Manhattan.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:20 am

Hi Diane,

Unfortunately, BE can't tell me where they will be able to park, but in Manhattan, where I live, it seems to be a bit of a problem for them. They suggested I call my local authorities to find out where BE's trailer truck can be parked.
In any case, I decided to contact University Van Lines. They're already booked solid for the end of July, which is when I was planning on moving. I asked them if they had any recommendations for another moving co. and they suggested Padded Wagon. I also called Moving Man Inc. Another possibility I'm considering is North American Van LInes through Despatch Moving and Stroage Co. They are a bit pricey though and I'm not sure that I can afford them. I thought I would try to negotiate with them to bring the price down.
Do you have any information about any of these 3 movers?
I can't thank you enough for taking the time to respond to my questions. I GREATLY APPRECIATE your help.

Mark

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:46 am

Hi Mark. Here's what I know about the three companies you mention.

First, Moving Man, Inc. is fine and has good reviews here (see my Epinions article). They would pick up your goods and take them to their warehouse, probably the one on W. 150th St., where they would be held and transferred to a Wheaton long-haul truck. This sounds like a good possibility if you can afford them.

I don't know anything about Despatch except that the owner of MovingMan, Jon Stout, pointed out their warehouse to me (also in upper Manhattan) and spoke well of them. I doubt that you could get them to lower the price but it's worth a try.

I did an "ALERT - avoid warning" about Padded Wagon (MC #336731) about a year ago - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1186 The branch in the Bronx had its interstate license revoked between August 2003 and April 2005 but it was still doing interstate moves during that time, as its driver and vehicle violation record shows on www.safersys.org. There are violations listed for drug and alcohol use by the drivers. I don't trust that company.

It would be good if you could post the amount of stuff you have because that makes a difference. And if you have time, yes, call the local police department to see whether there's anywhere that the BE truck could legally park in your neighborhood. It sounds as if it could be difficult.

However, BE has told people in the past that they don’t have problems picking up loads in Manhattan unless the residence is below 30th St. In the Village (below 14th St.) a shuttle is ALWAYS necessary. On certain large streets like Park Avenue and Fifth Avenue the semi trucks are prohibited between 6 am and 6 pm but can pick up outside of those hours. So, depending on where you live, it doesn't seem as if it's actually impossible for BE to pick you up in Manhattan. Maybe you should call them again and speak with Jesse this time.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:33 am

Hi Diane,

Well, I've decided to move myself. BE would have been a good option, but Jesse said they most likely wouldn't be able to park in front or back of my building. He could not tell me where I would have to shuttle my belongings. It's just become too complicated. And Moving Man is too expensive.

Thanks again for all of your help. I feel like I'm making the right decision now. Plus, all of my plants will be going with me (no moving co. wanted to take them).

Sincerely,
Mark

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:43 am

Good decision. Please do come back and tell us how it goes so we can add your review to our rental van thread.

Return to “Open Community”