Pennsylvania movers

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
smikelee

Pennsylvania movers

Postby smikelee » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:16 pm

I am moving locally (Philadelphia) in July. I have narrowed down my choices to:

Cranston Movers and
Superior Moving

Does anyone have any experience with either of these companies?

Diane

Re: Pennsylvania movers

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:35 pm

HI - I don't know anything about those two companies, but another company in Philadelphia, Action Enterprises, was highly recommended here last year. It isn't licensed for interstate moves but you would be using it only locally.
Action Enterprises I got from the Eastern PA bbb (mybbb.org). They're at 215.424.9801. The crew is Jerry (the owner and driver) and two helpers. I liked the fact that they were on time, very efficient, and had their own 18' truck, and were willing to do the move over the memorial day weekend (another mover I called scoffed at the very idea).

The AE crew was very pleasant and good natured--not an easy thing given that the place we were moving from was a duplex with a spiral staircase and the place we went to has five stories. The other nice thing was the flat rate, which no other mover I contacted offered. Given all the stairs, my uncertainty about the amount of stuff we had, etc. it was a relief to not have to worry about add-on charges. This also proved to be much faster, and we finished the move in under 3.5 hours. It is possible I might have saved $100 or so by going with another company that quoted me an hourly rate of $90, but I had no way of knowing how long the job would take. That company, though, wasn't available until the following week and wouldn't take credit cards, which I think is an absolute necessity since it offers one of the few consumer protections against overcharging.
- http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1594

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:33 pm

Thanks. I'll give them a call.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:48 pm

I found a thread on Cranston where someone was describing two good local moves with the company and at the time I thought it looked OK - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3911 However, this time around I can't find any BBB listing for it, so I'm not sure. It website is www.cranstonmovers.com.

I think you should rule out Superior on the basis of this excerpt from its BBB report:
On December 12,2002, Superior Moving & Storage reached an Assurance of Voluntary Compliance negotiated by the PA Bureau of Consumer Protection to settle claims that consumers were charged well above the estimated cost to move their personal belongings. In other cases the business promised partial refunds to those who complained, but the failed to do so until the Attorney General's Office intervened. The action resolves alleged violations of Pennsylvania 's Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Law and Pennsylvania's Uniform Commercial Code. Superior Moving was also accused of violating Pennsylvania's Uniform Commercial Code by selling items left at its storage facility before properly notifying those who had a claim on the goods.

We researched Clemmer Moving & Storage (Allied) for someone else for a local move near Philadelphia and thought it looked OK - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4635

Return to “Open Community”