Quality Moving Services

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Diana

Quality Moving Services

Postby Diana » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:10 pm

Has anyone heard of or used Quality Moving Services out of Lorton, VA.
They were recommended by someone but we are not sure about their reputation.

MusicMom

Re: Quality Moving Services

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:44 pm

They are agents of Wheaton. I have a colleague who actually worked for them before our current job, and he said he never saw anything bad going on there. I am not aware of any complaints or compliments, though. Their office is in a clean office park (with a wonderful mechanic for foreign cars, quick plug for Metro Automotive), truck look good, etc.

Diana

Postby Diana » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:15 pm

Thanks for the input. As I found out from my recent move from Arlington to Olympia, using Von Paris United, the actual truck was a Mayflower out of Ocala, Fl, with driver and packer from North Carolina. So even if you contract with a good local mover the long distance mover can be someone else entirely. The driver of my truck was a genius at packing the truck but a piece of work as far as getting the work done within the needed time frame. He did an okay job but nearly caused me to have a nervous breakdown because my assigned move time at my building was 9 to 5 and he didn't finish until nearly 9 at night and he kept promising it would be done on time and then just a little longer and so on into the evening. The building people threatened to lock down the loading dock several times. The driver/packer would never admit it was going to take longer and even though the local representative and move co-ordinator from Von Paris was terrific (Stephanie) there was nothing she could do with this particular driver. At the other end he fussed so much at the local helper who was there to help unload that the guy left and once again the move in took much longer than anticipated and the atmosphere was very tense. I was glad to have them leave but found out they had improperly installed the cliding glass doors on my china hutch and left the backing off same.

The moral of this long commentary is that while the local guys might be great it is hard to know who is actually going to show up to do the move when there are these big conglomrates and mergers with other companies. I never expected a Mayflower Van but that was what showed up.

So I wonder if this is the case with other local movers who contract for long distance moves. Are we likely to get some other company even if we contract with Quality Moving?

Sorry to be so long winded. Moving is turning out to be very anxiety producing and I guess I just needed to let off steam.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:21 pm

Are you doing an interstate or local move this time? Where are you moving to and how much stuff do you have?

Diana

Postby Diana » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:41 pm

Same cross country move from Arlington to Olympia, WA but this time it is my daughter.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:13 pm

I understand your concern about being handed off to the van line system. Most of the time it's fine because the van line drivers are good, but it's unnerving to spend all your time researching a local agent and then have it all become sort of irrelevant at the end. That said, if you choose a top-rated van line like Atlas or United you'll probably be OK. Wheaton is a smaller van line and people have said that it might take goods longer to arrive because they have fewer drivers. In other words, goods might sit in a local warehouse longer waiting for a long-haul driver to pick them up. I'm pretty sure that the Wheaton agent wouldn't self-haul your daughter's shipment because I think they usually put everything over 500 miles into the van line system.

If you would consider having your daughter use a U-Pack, We-Drive company, her goods could be delivered by Broadway Express in the same truck that picks them up, and by the same driver as well, 95% of the time. (Occasionally a truck breaks down or has to be re-routed in an emergency, which is why I have to say 95% rather than 100% of the time.) You seem like a fairly particular person so this may not be an option that's good for you, but BE has air-ride trailers and many of the drivers have worked for years as household movers. In my opinion they're just as good as a van line, if not better, the only difference being that you have to arrange labor to load and unload the truck. The BE driver can also be hired to help. All moving pads, dollies, and ramps are provided--it isn't bare-bones like ABF. Also, because the load isn't transferred, transit time is likely to be much shorter than with a van line agent.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:12 pm

Another suggestion is to go with one of the two independants I mentioned on the other thread. They would not be passing off your load to another company, driver, or trailer.

JK Moving
Moyer & Sons

One of the long-distance reviews of JK was for a coast-to-coast move like yours. They do have 53' trailers with truck tractors, so they can put your load together with others for a profitable trip, just like the majors.

The one turn-off about JK is they tend to be slightly pricier than the other quotes, ut those who used them have ageed they are well worth it. There is one review of Moyer & Sons, for comparison.

Diana

Postby Diana » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:25 pm

There is an additional problem. The access to the house where the furniture has to be unloaded is on a road that will not accommodate one of those large moving vans. The movers had to get a transfer van to carry the furniture from the truck which was parked about a mile away in a smaller truck that the mover rented for the day. A large van with multiple households in it would not be able to get down the road. So a smaller van is really necessary. I gather Moyer may use smaller vans and do the move themselves, I am going to give them a call but I suspect it is too late to schedule for two weeks from now. Thanks for the input.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:10 pm

I need to correct some information: QMS is NOT an agent of Wheaton Van Lines, they are an independant. According to someone who's talked to the company, they have Wheaton trucks outside because they are DOD-approved and do military shipments.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:45 am

According to the Superlist, Quality Services Moving with website www.qsmoving.com is an independent. If anybody has any different information, please post.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”