I hope someone can unconfuse me!!!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Nancy

Re: I hope someone can unconfuse me!!!

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:27 am

Also, you asked which portion of the costs is negotiable and you are moving in August. To be blunt, VERY little is negotiable in the summertime. Us movers have far more volume than we can handle, and the last thing we do in the summertime is offer deals. If that part is important, wait until October to do your move.

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:35 am

First I am not a domestic expert, I know about international moving, so I would have to say anything I say is my opinion only not based on industry facts.

I would not worry about the over / under estimates regarding the worker taking out anything on you or your shipment. These companies are all professionals and should treat you with the upmost respect. They will all be paid for the work they preform by the moving company you are dealing with.

In regards the cost of storage per month how did they calculate the charge? It's been along time since I've seen a domestic estimate but I thought they charge like $ 025 Per Cwt for the 1st day and $ .10 Per CWT each day there after? Again no expert.

My thoughts on the cost for going into a mini-storage verus van lines storage. In most cases when they deliver to a mini-storage they unload the truck, check off the inventory, and place the goods inside for you. Not alot of labor for the driver, as he might only have to hired two guys to help him. It will only take him a short time to complete the delivery.

Now when it is delivered into the van lines warehouse the driver unloads the unwraps the furniture at the warehouse. The receiving warehosue crew has to check the inventory with the driver and go over all the furniture. The warehouse is responsible for your goods now so they must take exceptions in case there is any new damages not showing on the inventory. Not saying there is but they have to check everything over. Now the driver leaves and the warehouse crew has to wrap all your furniture with storage pads and load them into storage vaults and then warehouse the vaults. This is a lot of labor cost for the van lines warehouse so the cost is going to be higher.

Normally when you goods come out of storage the local van lines agent load the vaults on to their flatbed trucks and deliveries to your residence. Again they will preform a full service delivery where they are going to set up beds anything disassebled is reassembled. They are fully insured and should offer you a professional service to complete your move.

On the move out of your mini-storage the guys are being paid by you by the hour so I am not sure they will have an incentive to move very quickly and not take breaks along the way. The domestic moverpro here have mentioned it is normally at a rate of 500 to 750 pounds per hour for three men to load and unload plus driving time. Once these movers get to your house they will only place the goods into your house, unless you want to pay more for them to unwrap everything and set up beds etc. If you thought they move slow them wait until they do this part for you on the clock. Again these are only my personal thoughts and experiences over the years.

In reagrds what charges are negotiable versus regulated I will have to defer to others more qualified on these points.

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:53 am

Thanks again, This is a great site, I seem to be thanking a lot of people for their help!!

I will probably go into intransit storage and was just wondering if any of the loading into storage and out later in the year would be negotiable, especially since I will probably be moving out of storage later in the year.

Any comments about Graebel Movers, WB Meyer United or Fallon Mayflower for service and performance?

I was leaning toward Graebel since he would give me a NTE binding estimate even though he was 4400 lbs over Fallon and 3000lbs over Meyer figuring that the true weight would be all I would pay for. Is there a flaw to my thinking on this? The other choice would be to pick theMayflower NTE estimate and if the weight and packing was more they would eat it not me. Which is the proper way to approach this to be fair to everyone? I just am a little afraid that if I go with a higher NTE binding bid I can't control the actual weight or how they go about packing and could be taken advantage of. Again any comments would be appreciated.

I did use Graebel for an earlier company move including storage and they did a good job, good service and very few issues with scratches.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:51 pm

All the movers seem to be close on boxes except Mayflower, and yet all the weights are different. So my first question is did you get an inventory from all the movers. We know there is a box count difference, so is there a furniture difference also?

In regards to the full pack and a NTE, I would ask for the full pack to be based on the weight. Simple reason, that way you dont have to worry if they pack more, thus you wont be charged for it. You packing cost is based on weight, not number and types of boxes.

In regards to going into a public storage facility. First and foremost is to make sure 18 wheelers can access that facility. Otherwise your looking at a shuttle in all likelyhood.
:arrow: If you go into a public storage facility that is ground level, you may want to consider purchasing pallets that you can place everything on as opposed to the floor directly.
:arrow: The valuation you purchase from the van line will cover you in fact if they packed it if you do not move it again and file within 9 months. Most if not all van lines would prefer you file right away, and not wait 9 months. If you pack anything yourself, then yes, you would have to stipulate at the time of delivery that a box arrived in a different condition then originally loaded.
:arrow: It would behove you to make sure to check off your inventory at destination noted any damage to the furniture at that time on your inventory.
:arrow: Make sure to take all plastic wrap off any upholstry furniture. With the flucuation in the temperature, moisture and mildew can develop within the plastic, thus destroying a couch, loveseat or chair.

Going into a public storage facility that is not climate controlled of course will save you more money, but probably cause more hassle. Keep in mind to that you can be charged extra labor for having the destination crew load your unit from ceiling to floor. So make sure you get a large enough unit that will hold everything at best at head level or have another unit ready just in case.

Hardatwork makes a great point about the pads.

And keep in mind, all those companies have protest procedures in place. All protest should be done prior to loading anything onto the truck. Not half way through the day, or upon arrival at destination.

Best of luck
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:25 pm

thanks again,
I will ask for the packing to be by weight but I assume that if the price is a not to exceed price then it does not matter if they are off on the packing or not.

I looked at the packing estimate for Fallon and they have listed all the furniture we own but seem to have figured that we need fewer boxes packed. I checked another of my estimates and they also listed all of our furniture but have more boxes to pack. So I am confused about why the difference.

Is there someplace you can direct me so I can reference the fact that the mover is responsible for hidden damage when I take things out of self storage. That could be a great money saver for me, although climate control at the mover storage could be important since we are moving in the heat and humidity of summer in Phoenix.

I am leaning on hiring Fallon-Mayflower on a NTE estimate and hoping I suceed. Please tell me what you mean about not loading anything if there is an issue, do you mean if there are more boxes packed then don't let them load until they agree that there are no additional charges? Please help.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:37 pm

Pete, Re-Read Michaels advice. You can only claim items packed if you do NOT move it again.

You would need to file the claim after you witness the shipment being delivered into your mini storage unit and BEFORE you move it again. In other words, you would have to unpack every box and inspect for damage. If you go with the carrier's warehouse storage/SIT, you don't have to file until the goods are ultimately delivered to your home, because the carrier had possession of your shipment the entire time.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:24 am

Diane: My problem with your "selling" of the D.I.Y. move is that you paint a very beautiful picture of how easy and simple it is. You no not mention any of the problems that can arise. Liability is 100% to the shipper.
Furniture gets damaged, shipper's problem.
Helpers do not show up, shipper's problem.
Residence gets damaged, shipper's problem.
If the shipper pays someone (eg a BE driver) and he gets injured be prepared to get sued since Worker's Comp. will not cover them.
The tractor-trailer can't get in to the residence, shipper's problem.
The goods take up more space, shipper's problem and expence.
Takes longer to load than allowed, shipper's problem and expence.

To not inform someone of these facts is just as misleading as a mover leaving additional charges off the estimate and adding them to the B/L after the fact. Hiding your intent to promote the DIY move in your fine print is what you scream is wrong with the moving industry.

I have no problem with someone wanting to move themselves and with what I have read I would promote BE for that purpose over other methods. I have no problem answering questions on how to handle and load so that the job is done right and safely (the ABF loading video is a joke).

However, when someone wants a full service move performed, those questions should be dealt with.

You insinuate that, by association, Michael, Nancy, ECM, myself and others are nothing but crooks and are out to rip off the public, but you also lean on us to provide our expert opinion.

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:09 pm

I think that Fred makes some valid points and perhaps a version of his "list" should be included in any future recommendations of DIY moves. It's certainly an idea worthy of discussion.

Let me also add that even if every single one of the pitfalls on his list did occur with a DIY move, it would STILL be less of a devestating emotional, financial and logistical nightmare than being caught in a hostage load situation.

Also, keep in mind that The list is certainly not limited to DIY moves. Every one of the things on the list has been reported as being caused by an unscrupulous moving company who refuses to take responsibility for their own actions. In fact, at least in a DIY situation, if you damage your own furniture or home you have nobody to blame but yourself, which is MUCH easier to swallow than when someone else does the damage and refuses to own up to it.

So perhaps a version of the list is appropriate for ALL types of moves, isn't it?
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:32 pm

I completely agree that DIY moves give the customer complete control over their goods. My concern is that there are times where BE is discussed interchangeably with full service van lines. Especially when pure costs are compared, it can be misleading. BE offers a great option for those physically able to move themselves, but it does take a far greater amount of coordinating and accepting detailed responsibility than full service van line moves do.

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:11 pm

it does take a far greater amount of coordinating and accepting detailed responsibility

Absolutely correct... as with any sort of do-it-yourself activity...
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:24 pm

Diane wrote:Fred, this website openly endorses moving yourself if possible, and if that's not possible, using the freight companies ABF or Broadway Express. That is stated right in the first paragraph of the "How to Find a Reputable Mover" article linked to in the box with the smiley face at above left. I have nothing to gain financially or otherwise regardless of who he uses. "

does BE & ABF pay this site money for people they refer to them?

in looking at the links more closely it seems to have some kind of tracking info to it sord of like an affiliate program.

most posts in the trend go straight to www.upack.com or www.broadwayexpress.com the links from the how to get a mover have tracking info at the end.

is that why ABF & BE is so heavily promoted on this site or it it really because of avoiding all full service independent moving companies.

I dont have a problem with it but maybe somebody else might.

I just started posting on this site and have noticed this little bit of info.

any replies to this?

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:03 am

Hi Guest,

Actually I track a LOT of links. It just depends on whether or not I want the link to be picked up by search engines like Google who rank other web sites based on links. Other times I want that web site to know where the links are coming from (epinions.com, ripoffreport.com, baker insurance, etc from the links page to name a few).

You may have noticed that every link that is in a message board post goes through my link.cgi program. That is because I don't want google to pick up links that I haven't endorsed. The black list reports are another good example... all of the company web sites go through the link.cgi program as well. I certainly wouldn't want to increase their search engine rankings!

I like to keep things simple but it's not always possible to do with a web site like this. Sometimes you've got to be creative around here! :wink:

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:50 am

twalker wrote:You may have noticed that every link that is in a message board post goes through my link.cgi program. That is because I don't want google to pick up links that I haven't endorsed. The black list reports are another good example... all of the company web sites go through the link.cgi program as well. I certainly wouldn't want to increase their search engine rankings!

Ok this makes sense

thanks for clearing that up.

keep up the good work

ct2tx

Postby ct2tx » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:25 pm

Pete,

I am also planning a move from CT, but going to TX. I called Capitol to get an estimate and never received a call back (it's been about 3 weeks). I also sent an estimate request via the internet to Admiral (Atlas agent) and never received a call back. I called William B. Meyer and they came out and gave an estimate.

22,404 pounds
transportation - $10698.92
containers,packing,unpacking - $3483.05
bulky articles - $173.25
TOTAL - $14355.22

He gave me a non-binding estimate. I believe you got an GNTE from Meyer. Sounds like I need to call back and ask for an GNTE estimate. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone reading this post.

I need to find another mover to provide an estimate. Who did you end up going with?

Appreciate any info you have. :D

Patty

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:03 pm

:evil: My husband's company relocated us from PA to NJ using WB Meyer as the mover. We are still waiting to have our claim for the damages resolved. In our case, they did not employ qualified movers. Of the 5 men at our home, not including the driver, at least one, possibly two of the men drank our Jack Daniels'-(the representative in NJ replaced the 1.75 liter bottle at the destination). The van was also involved in a front end colllision, which undoubtedly contributed to the damages. I have been in contact with Customer Service in MO for several months. I'm told that my situaiton is atypical. Do NOT hire this company.

Return to “Open Community”