Last-Minute Move from Philly to DC - Help please!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Tigralon

Last-Minute Move from Philly to DC - Help please!

Postby Tigralon » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:05 am

Ack! I am moving on July 16 (a Saturday) from downtown Philadelphia to downtown DC, and have no moving plan set up. Unfortunately, this is very last-minute to find a moving company. Fortunately, I only have a studio and just need load-drive-unload. I wish I had known about this move sooner and could plan, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

I'm reading through these threads and finding a few names, but mostly for local movers. Does anyone have tips for Philly-to-DC companies? I am really feeling the pressure of moving in just 10 days!!

Tigralon

Re: Last-Minute Move from Philly to DC - Help please!

Postby Tigralon » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:31 am

So far it seems that Clemmer Moving & Storage might be a good choice, based on other threads. I'll keep posting as I locate other names and start to get quotes etc.
I'm just concerned about locating anyone so quickly, which is why I'm really rushing!

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:17 pm

Okay, "Apex Transport" has offered a quote of $868.14. Anyone ever heard of this company? www.ApexTransport.net I'm requesting their info right now...

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:52 pm

Apex's website is not even up and running yet. To me, that says WAY brand-new. I cannot find a license for them. When they respond with your quote, ask them what their DOT number is.

Don't be so desparate for a move that you go with the first comapny you find. Have you called any of your local agents for major van lines? See if they have any openings or cancellations around your dates. Or check with one of the "You-Pack" companies, they ahve been able to help people with short-notice move. Waht are the odds of you being able to drive a rental truck full of your belongings? You cna hire help for loading and unloading on both ends. Are any of these viable options?

Tigralon

Postby Tigralon » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:51 pm

That was my original plan - to rent a truck and hire help on either end. But it seems that the hassle of researching two different labor services plus trying to coordinate them with my own truck rental...that may actually be more work in the end than just finding one moving company.

But this really is the big question I'm tossing around and I simply can't answer it. I would feel much safer with my belongings in my truck. However, I have never driven a truck (even a pickup) before. I don't know how to research labor services so I don't get ripped off. Plus, my boyfriend has been suggesting very strongly that I get a full-service company to cut down on my overall stress level. I really have no idea how to proceed at this point...any thoughts?

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:40 am

I just did the opposite move last week - DC to Philly. I couldn't find a moving company in time so I used Labor Ready (laborready.com) to help load and unload. They have an office in Philly and in DC. Not professionals, but they were quick and did a pretty good job. Nothing broke. At $15/hr they were cheap enough to get 2 or 3 people.

I rented a truck on my own. First time driving one too. It's not so bad if you have someone help from the passenger seat.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:42 am

Guest,

If you want to tell us what company you rented from I'll post your experience in the rental van thread on the sticky at the top of the messageboard. It would help if you gave details about cost and size of the van. Thanks.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:49 pm

You could probably handle a truck just fine, if you stick to the right lane and park far away from all other cars in parking lots. But if you worry at all, find a good friend who think they COULD handle the truck, bring them along for a road trip and a little fun times. Get them a one-way ticket back and treat them to good food along the way.

See what laborready can do for you, since both offices have already worked for one person.

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:50 pm

MusicMom wrote:Apex's website is not even up and running yet. To me, that says WAY brand-new. I cannot find a license for them. When they respond with your quote, ask them what their DOT number is.

OK, so fast-forward to now. They have a website, and their DOT number is 1400545. They were efficient in coming up with a flat-fee estimate, based on an actual inventory of furniture which they requested. ($448.14 flat-rate, all-inclusive for a 2-bdrm from Arlington to Alexandria, elevators on both ends.)

Their SAFER entry seems more complete than most other companies I've looked up, but I can't locate a BBB entry for them or their "parent company," Infinite Grind Multimedia (an interesting name for a parent company to a moving company!).

Anything else I should look at in order to determine this company's legitimacy, and that of their offer?

Also, I got a quote from Flat Rate Moving Co. for $95/hr, 2 men, approx 2-5 hours, or $125/hr, 3 men, approx 1-3 hrs, + $120 fixed fee for truck. I don't know about you, but I'm wondering why they call themselves "Flat Rate Moving Company." Also, JK gave me a quote for $170/hr, 3 men, 1 truck, 5 hrs minimum (incl flat travel fee).

So, I'm looking at anything between $450 and $850, which seems like a pretty large spread.

Any words of wisdom?

bnlight

Postby bnlight » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:52 pm

BTW, I posted the last one, and got logged out in the meanwhile. Thanks!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:11 pm

OK, so they filled in some blanks, but not enough. Their DOT form was filled out July 29th, after you had previously asked about them. But having a DOT number does not mean they are correctly licensed. They do not have an interstate license, and you will have to contact the VA DMV's Motor Carrier Division to check on their VA state license. I seriously doubt it, though.

I am also curious as to how they are licensed to carry US Mail, when no post office will be sending anything within the state. Mail is shipped between major regional offices, meaning between states, therefore an interstate license is needed.

The parent company? Why would a low-budget hip-hop producer want to start a moving company? Check out www.infinitegrind.com

I still don't think it's worth spending any more time on Apex.

Flat Rate is still in the "I'm not sure about them"stage. Their parent in NYC ahs had good reveiws, but I've heard nothing about the MD branch. Different office, different management, could be OK, could be sloppy. I don't know. What I DO know is that JK will do you well. Beltway is another good one. Moyer & Sons. Their prices will be higher because they pay their employees more, which means guys staying with the business for years and getting lots of experience.

bnlight

Postby bnlight » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:45 pm

Ah-ha! I knew there was something weird there... a hip-hop recording company! I have some theories of why they'd start a moving company, but regardless of their intentions, all roads lead to moving not being their focus of concern and basis for reputation. There's a high fly-by-night factor.

After reading some of the recommendations, I've sought the following estimates for my move (2 bdrm Arlington->Alexandria):

JK Moving - $170/hr, no time estimate, 5 hr min., 3 men/1 truck, travel incl.
Apex - $448.14 flat
NorthEast - $65/hr, no time estimate, 3 hr min., 2 men/1 truck, $50 flat truck fee, $15/hr extra man
Great Scott - $130/hr, est 5 hrs, 2 hr min., 2 men/1 truck
Two Guys and a Truck - $155/hr, est 5-7 hrs, 2 hr min., 3 men/truck, incl. 1 hr truck/travel fee
Moyer & Sons - unavailable
Beltway - call for estimate

So, Apex is right out. 2GT seems in the JK/Beltway price range, but without their reputation. NorthEast is suspiciously cheap.

Questions:

1) I'd like to be able to do all the research MusicMom does. I've identified the FMCSA and BBB sites as resources. MusicMom, can you post a definite checklist of what you look at, and the resources we should use?

2) Is there a good rule-of-thumb on how much time adding an additional mover can cut? (e.g., JK will do a faster move w/ 3 men but has a 5-hr minimum, but Great Scott thinks it can do the job in 5 hours as well, with only 2 men.)

Thanks!
-Dan

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:09 pm

OK, to clarify, you are looking for a company to unload the rental truck you've just driven from Philly? And I'm guessing you rearranged your dates, since you said you were originally moving July 16th.

If you are only looking for loaders, then the important thing would be if they have their own worker's comp and necessary insurance. If not, then YOU would be liable if someone hurt themselves during your load. My guess is this would be why NorthEast is so cheap (and I've never heard of them, anyway!). I suggest tossing them right now. I know JK, Moyer, Beltway, and probably TG&T have thier own, so that leaves Great Scott (which has mixed reviews).

At this point, I think the pros would have better ideas than I would. I am no expert in deciding how many guys per hour, etc. Pros?

bnlight

Postby bnlight » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:36 pm

Actually, I'm a different person, and instead of starting a new thread, I continued off an existing one.

I'm a local, living in Arlington, moving to Alexandria.

-Dan

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:18 pm

Oh, OK! Whoops!!!!:oops:

OK, so the things you need to verify are, most importantly, are they licensed & insured. My notes are in red.

JK Moving - DOT1065394, currently OK
Apex - No interstate license, so no visible insurance
NorthEast - Cannot find them by name, but their quote was too low, anyway. Toss 'em.
Great Scott - No interstate license, so no visible insurance
Two Guys and a Truck - DOT729706, currently OK
Moyer & Sons - unavailable (so nevermind)
Beltway - DOT32217, currently OK

For the two with no interstate license, you'd need to call the VA DMV's Motor Carrier division to check if they have a VA state license. One way you can check on their insurance is to call them and ask them for a current Certificate of Insurance. If they do indeed have it, they will take your name and phone number, and pass it on to their insurance agent. The agent will then contact you to arrange sending you a certified copy of the Certificate. If they sound confused, or hem and haw at all, then you can tell they probably aren't up to snuff.

So it looks like the two that you are really comparing at this point are TG&T and JK, waiting on Beltway. Of those two, I think they would both do an good job. I am not aware of any reviews for TG&T, but I don't think they will mess you up. JK costs more because they keep their employees happy, thus keeping them around longer. It's your call.

Your questions on how many guys to use is one I cannot answer.

Return to “Open Community”