Bekins Van Lines Company-Rip-off- Broke our Stuff

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
Timothy

Bekins Van Lines Company-Rip-off- Broke our Stuff

Postby Timothy » Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:36 pm

We moved with Bekins Van Lines in October 2002 from Hillside, IL to Rio Rancho, NM... and our move was a complete nightmare!!

The packers and loaders broke or damaged a number of large furniture pieces and several small items before we even left Missouri. But we figured it was no big deal since we purchased the "for all it's worth" insurance coverage and assumed the damages, which totaled $2,734.33 would be replaced, repaired, and/or we would be compensated, as was written in our agreement with them. Boy were we wrong!!!

Not only have they not settled the claim, they don't even have the business integrity to return our numerous calls, letters, and faxes. Most of the time we are put on hold for extended periods of time (47 minutes was one memorable time), other times we were consistently diconnected and when we called back we get a recording. And no surprise... none of our letters or faxes have been responded to either.

It wasn't until we hired an attorney, that she was able to get a miraculous answer regarding our claim. Our attorney was told that our broken items had been repaired and they had a check paid to D&D Restoration to prove it. Well, we have pictures and video of our broken items... and well if thats not proof enough... we physically have the items still in our possession.... broken and still not repaired, but this didn't matter to Bekins.

Bekins did attempt to send us a check for $177.00, to cover the missing and "non-repairable" items, but to date Bekins still refuses to settle the remainder of our claim for the broken items. Plus, despite our (myself and my attorney's) continued telephone calls, letters, and faxes, Bekins Claims department still refuses to respond.

If you are moving, you would be smart NOT to do busniess with Bekins Van Lines; their packers and movers are untrained amatures; their corporate offices and claims departments are so ridiculously unprofessional, it amazes me they are still in business; and Bekins fails to stand by their contractual claims agreement with the customer. I have moved with several moving companies over the past 20 years and Bekins is the worst!!

Tyrone

Re: Bekins Van Lines Company-Rip-off- Broke our Stuff

Postby Tyrone » Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:36 am

Please post the contact information for the specific agent you used.

Timothy

Postby Timothy » Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:35 pm

Bekins Van Lines Company
Address: 330 S. Mannheim Rd.
Hillside, Illinois 60162

Phone: 703-547-2000

Postby Guest » Fri May 02, 2003 9:30 pm

[b]My husband and I moved from San Diego, CA to Bellbrook, OH last year. We used Bekins Van Lines to move us. We had some damages and missing articles and had to take them to small claims court here in Greene County, Ohio.

We got the judgement and a garnishment letter was sent to Bekins Bank (Harris Bank and Trust in Chicago, IL. where Bekins headquarters are.

The court received a response from Harris Bank stating that they do not honor out of state garnishments. Please, we have been trying to collect thiis money for almost a year now and have gone to just about everyone we can think of to help us.

Just a short note, we went to the BBB and found out that Bekins has 200 complaints against them of which only 43 have been resolved. Whatever you can do to help would be greatly appreciated. The amount we are seeking is $860.00. Thank you.

Carole Walker
Poopsie19@aol.com

deblythe@comcast.net

Postby deblythe@comcast.net » Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:13 pm

:(
Although the packers were dedicated and professional, the delivery was a disaster. I was promised verbally of a delivery date, I didn't realize that Santa Barbara Bekins manager had no intention of delivering my things that day or for that matter not for the next 8 days. I had discussed with Mr. Wooten (mgr. in Santa Barbara) that I had to have a definite delivery date. He assured me there was "no problem". I sat in an empty house with no bed, chair or one stick of furniture for 8 days.
I also have a claim in for lost articles and some sticky tape damage to a screen. I had paid the extra insurance also. I have not heard a word in almost 2 months. I called the main Bekins office repeatedly ALL through this time and never had one response. Essentially, the main office could care less what happens. I now find out that each office is independent as far as legal matters etc. (not absolutely sure, but I read this on the net.)
I beleive they are franchises at this point in time. Ergo, no responsibility taken by the main office.
If anyone knows how I can deal with them, I would like to know.
I think it would be much better to hire packers, rent a truck and a professional driver and follow the driver to your destination.

Josh

Postby Josh » Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:19 pm

Deblythe,

I would like to help, but need to know a little more info:
    Where did you move to and from?
    What was the weight of your shipment?
    What delivery dates were on your estimate and what dates were on your Bill of Lading?
    Who was your booking agent (the agent you scheduled your move with), what is their address?

This will give us a little more information about your situation and then we might be able to help you out!

Josh

Linda

Postby Linda » Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:25 am

Someone please help us........ rb@elltel.net

For over a year now Bekins and Atlas their legal protector group here in Oregon has changed the price of our move from $12,000 to $24,000 AND to add insult to injury just today after one year of trying to resolve this added another $1137.82 to our total owed.

My husbands company paid $10,000 for our move but when they found out that my husbans company had been approved for $24,000 they increase our binding bid to $24,000. After 6 month of trying to get through to them I began making payments of $500 / month.

They made our two payments for May and June disappear and told us we never paid this. I produced evidence and their receipt to the contrary. Again they made our money disappear when insurance settled for $4200. Half of this total disappeared.........and STeve the manager of this company stated we never got this money. AGain produce evidence to the contrary.

So now they have removed our total payments of $2000 plus $4200 insurance money. We had a balance of about $6900 until today when they increased the price another $1137.82 for no reason other than they stated they forgot to charge us this.

I am at this point angrier than ever been before as though someone had hurt my family (and they have), effecting my family and life very negatively, and noone to turn to........

We have been advised to take our complaints to the Utilities Commission, FBI who has opened a moving scam program in Miami, BBB, and a consumer help group in Seattle.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!! IDEAS ARE APPRECIATED. Email is: rb@elltel.net

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:09 am

Linda,

What reasons are they giving you for the increase in cost? Are you in storage?
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:13 am

Michael wrote:Linda,

We were told that the price increase was due to the extreme weight for the moves we had done (two moves). And therefore even if they quot us one price and weight exceeds their quot, then we are bound by law to pay them the additional money........plus we were also told that my husbands company was approved for $24,000 for a move, and coincidently, this is exactly what the price of our move ended up being. Husbands company only paid $10,000 and we were left with the rest of the bill.

Yesterday's price increase was due to the fact that Bekins Norhwest forgot to charge us one year ago for:
Fuel: $201.62
Special Insurance: $201.6
Origination Services: $414.52
Destination Services: $320.07
Total: $1,137.80

Any help is appreciated since we were just informed that if we refuse to pay what Atlas just set up for us as payment as of yesterday, they will increase the price again to $1880.00 which was what the original invoice stated before Bekins gave us (haaaaa) a discount on the $24,000. Atlas is telling us Bekins has no more say in pricing and if we pursue this further they will be forced to go back to the original invoice and add these charges.

I hope this is clear. Any questions please ask or email me at:
rb@elltel.net

Thank you for any help!!!

Linda

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:19 am

Michael wrote:Linda,

Hi Michael,

Seeing your profile it seems you are with a moving company. This concerns me a lot since why would you want to know the answer to a question that can hurt the consumer????

What side of the fence are you on? The laws are on the movers side and the consumer has no rights it seems. The fact that a moving company is reading this information and getting tips on how to work the public pockets, concern me.

I hope you are honest Michael becasue one day the laws will be changed even if I personally have to make sure they are..........

Thank you.

linda

Josh

Postby Josh » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:24 am

Linda,

There are many of us here that work for moving companies. Why don't you view all of the posts that Michael has written, which is about 330, and you might get a clearer picture of who you are dealing with.

What scares me is seeing a guest come on here and say how great their move was with a known scam company. My point is, Some people will help, some people will lie, it is important you check to see who you are dealing with, and Michael has been here for a long time! He has also worked for Atlas in the past, he might know some people there to contact.

Josh

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:49 am

Linda and Linda,

To the Guest who's name happens to be Linda, I am sure if I was a distrusting, no integrity "type", that Tim, would not allow me to post on here.

I am sure, that Tyrone, AIC, scammed and Consumer woulb be the first to reply to this post saying I am a scam representative.

But non of that is the case, thus I do not feel the need to defend myself. But because I "AM" in the industry, I might be able to help the other Linda with some questions in regards to what to ask, or look for in this quote she is now being charged for.

Linda,

Why is Atlas involved now? And Bekins is the only company I know of that did not take the Tariff Increase and still use the 400M tariff, as opposed to the 400N tariff. So I am not sure they should be charging you for the Origin Service and Destination Service Surcharge. It would be very important for you to look at their original estimate to see what tariff they were following at the time of your estimate.

As far as the weight, I would ask to have copies of the weight tickets, and make sure to check the dates on them. You should have a gross weight and a tare weight.

The valuation, I can understand.

But something does not sound right here in regards to their sudden charge of cost and pricing. What weight did they quote you for and what weight are they claiming you have?

Thanks Josh!

Thanks,
Michael

Nancy/Guest

Postby Nancy/Guest » Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:55 am

Linda,

The reason Michael inquired on the nature of your move is that we can plug the numbers into our systems and help you out on auditing the charges. Josh & Michael do this a lot. It may not help your specific situation, but it has helped others.

Did Bekins perform your move, and is now trying to collect the transportation charges? Or is it in storage and accruing additonal fees monthly?

Linda

Postby Linda » Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:55 pm

Hi Nancy, Michael and Jose,

I guess at this point it is difficult not to pigeon hole all movers into the "scam em & run" catergory and do apologize to you if you are an honest mover........I am very very upset and this has consumed my life in a very negative way. To see the lack of acocuntablity for a year and not have anywhere to turn is horrific at best..........so thank you for being honest and again my apology for assuming all movers are bad. Here is an accounting of exactly what has happened in the last few weeks.

In the beginning, Bekins came to our home August 14 2002 and gave us the lowest bid. Told us about how horrible other local moving companies were and offered up speciifc details. Eric was such a nice person my husband really liked him. Eric Von Arch, was our agent, who by the way STeve told us no longer works for Bekins.

Eric disappeared after we signed some papers and we never were able to contact him again. Never returned phone calls, etc. Eric had promised us lots of boxs so we can begin packing. He never came through with his promise. By moving day, Bekins ended up packing lots of our things which was completely unexpected on their part and acted surprised there was so much to pack.

Stephanie (secretary at Bekins) told us that my husbands hospital was gonig to pay $24,000 for our move and not to worry about any additional charges, since the hospital was paying for this. This was a lie and the hospital was approved for $24,000 (after Bekins did their own search for what the hospital would be approved for) but the hospital never agreed to pay this to Bekins only $10,000. Coincidently, our bill came to exactly $24,000 once everything was unloaded.

Stephanie denied what she had told us, Eric denied ever promising us boxes, Steve had no knowledge of anything when we asked him questions and to this day still has to go ask someone about detailed questions; never returned our phone calls, and we did not get the bill for our move until the hospital called us to tell us of the $14,000 balance which we did not know about. We have been taken for a very long ride.

Here is a few recent things what happened to us:

Wednesday, August 19, 2003
Almost 3 weeks now since we were first contacted by Atlas Van Lines and told we were being taken to collections & possibly to court by their attorneys and received a threatening letter stating we neglected to pay them money for two month. The reason they threatened us was that Bekins (Stephany Rider) called Atlas, stating they wanted total payment in full immediately, because we had not made a May and June payment (which we produced evidence to the contrary later on & had indeed paid them their monthly payment).

Then collections (Beverly at Atlas) contacted my husband employer to let them know we had not paid the $500 a month payment, for May and June, and that the entire balance of $12,000 was due in FULL now. The total of this balance was also wrong since we had paid $2000 plus given them insurance moneys of $4200 which had been lost by Bekins and not reported to Atlas. Hospital whos only part in this move was to produce $10,000 and cosigned for the $10,000 payment for our move, was afraid of being taken to collections & credit rating being ruined telling them.

Beverly in collections did in fact call the CEO of the hosital and his secretary. Telling them that if we did not make a payment the hospital’s credit would be ruined. In turn the secretary contacted us to let us know she was in contact with Atlas and they wanted to make sure we paid our bills. We found this to be an outright threat and harassment for Joe my husband. What actually happened was that Bekins Northwest neglected to record our May and June 2003 payments, and also neglected to noticy Atlas of our payments. They had also lost/misplaced $2200 of insurance moneys. We therefore were not late with payment, and our employer still was contacted for no reason making my husband look as though we were not responsible people, and humiliating us.

Spoke to Charlene at Atlas World Group in Indiana. She stated that if I refuse to continue to pay what she negotiated with me yesterday…….$970.00 payment till March and another $909.14 in April for a total of $7699.14…..she would, “turn us over to her attorneys and make us pay an additional $1770.99.” “The reason for this is that at this point you will no longer be obligated to Steve at Bekins Northwest, but to us Atlas”. “And the deductions that Steve took off originally will not hold up and we will bill from the original invoice amount before Steve took any deductions. She and Steve added another $1138 dollar to my bill yesterday without explanation.

Charlene also stated that: Steve has no authority to increase the price of our move any more and that she is the only one that can. Yet yesterday Steve spoke to Charlene and requested my bill be increased by $1132.00 due to:
Fuel: $201.62
Special Insurance: $201.62
Origination: Services: $414.54
Destination Service: $320.04

Which he had forgotten to charge us.

Charlene told me in this same conversation today, that the additional $1137.82 came at Steve’s request at Bekins Northwest yesterday in a telephone conversation she had with him. Yet when I spoke to Steve he told me he had no clue where Charlene of Atlas received this additional price increase. We are being bounced back and forth and prices keep changing.

Price has changed so many times as to what we owe Bekins, that we are concerned it will continue to change.

It was Steve at Bekins Northwest who originally offered us a discount on the $24,000 not Atlas therefore Atlas is saying that because Steve offered the discount they (Atlas) do not have to abide by these rules and can increase price at will to original invoice price.

Steve stated today 8.21.03………”Wow, your bugging Atlas sure did get things rolling for them”…ONe horse later he increased what I owe Bekins by $1138.…

Called Steve on 8.21.03 after speaking the Charlene at Atlas who stated she needed additional payment of $1137.82 for Destination charges, Tax and Gas for trucks, at destination which we were not charged for.

Insurance claims told me to submit all claims to them and could do it as I found broken items. Did what 3 people at Atlas suggested I do. Submitted some of my broken items, someone came and checked that these were truly broken, and Atlas wrote me a letter stating we could not claim anything further and that if I did not except what they were offering, they would not necessarily have to pay us anything ever. So we signed paper releasing them from any other damges. We were mislead again by being told we could submit items as we found them, but turned out to not be true.

We have attempted to pay as agreed upon with Steve of Bekins but Atlas never recieved our payments through STeve. The entire things smells so rotten......we have been scammed and know it but now what.

As for the recent increase of $1138.00, we have been warned to eat this and shut up because Steve can do whatever he wants, and Atlas will back them, by make us pay more if we "do not work with them." So Steve could have said this increase price yesterday was because he wanted a new patio, and we would have had to pay this. Sounds like extortion and is but will have to prove this after bill is paid.

ANY and ALL letters are appreciated. rb@elltel.net
Will not post here anymore but will read all comments and answer any private emails sent to me.

Linda

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:32 pm

Linda,

Again, it isnt making any sense. Or maybe I am missing something.

Answer the following questions:

1. Why is Atlas involved????

2. If Bekins gave you the original quote, what was it for:
Weight???
Valuation??
Discount??
Tariff??
Cost??

3. Did you go into storage? And if so, was it Atlas?

Once you answer that I may be able to offer some suggestions along with the others that try to help out.

And NO, not all movers are scam companies. And not all people affiliated with movers are ruthless, kniving, heart less bastards (excuse the french). So thank you for the apology, and accepted.

Also, you said Eric came out in 2002, but this is all taking place now? A year later? Atlas should not be contacting you if Bekins did you move. Why are they involved?

Keep all your posted checks. you definitely need to have records of the original charges of your estimate. You should also have any records of the "Letter of Authorization" that the hospital may have signed. You should have a copy of the check the hospital sent, the $10,000 they agreed to pay.

If you can answer as many of the questions I asked in this post and the original post, we might be able to enlighten you a little more of what is being attempted by Bekins/Atlas.

As of now it definitely sounds like your being scammed for more money. Make sure Bekins can supply you with the weight tickets of your shipment, and that the dates match around the time you moved. Have them supply you with the original estimate that Eric did for you and your husband, again making sure they match what you have.

And again, Bekins follows the old tariff, so Atlas cannot charge you for things on the new tariff, agaion, I am lost at how they are involved.

So answer those questions Linda, and lets see how we can help you further.

Thanks,
Michael

Return to “Report A Scam”