Moving from DC to Boston

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
MB - Guest

Moving from DC to Boston

Postby MB - Guest » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:43 pm

I'm looking for a reliable and affordable moving company for my upcoming move from DC to Boston. I just found this website today - and have got some great info on who NOT to use - but now am stuck wondering who to trust (I read the article - it's great!!). I called JK Moving - but there quote seemed really high! Any other suggestions??

MusicMom

Re: Moving from DC to Boston

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:04 pm

JK being pricey is a common comment. But those who have come back to report say they are well worth it. They have had reviews for both local and long-distance. Additional companies with good reports are Moyer & Sons (independant), Von Paris (United), Hilldrup (United), Victory Van Corp (Allied), Security Storage (United), Paxton (Atlas). I would suggest picking one of the United agents to get a qquote, rather than having them all come out. VP is in Alexandria, Hilldrup in Baltimore, and SS in DC.

Please let me know if i can help you any further.

MB-Guest

Postby MB-Guest » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:57 am

Thanks for your suggestions. I also got Von Paris from a coworker - who has used them twice (local only) and was very happy with the results.

I called Allied and was informed that Shelly Moving & Storage is their local counter-part. I did a search but didn't find anything on them.

Are there any pro's and con's to using an independent v. larger moving company?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:56 pm

Shelley's in Philly. Where are you exactly?

MB - Guest

Postby MB - Guest » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:03 pm

I'm in DC - which makes me wonder why I have a compnay in PA handling my move. As you suggested, I contacted Victory Van Corp since it is an Allied Agent in the DC area.

I may need short-term storage (less than 2 weeks) - while my new apartment is being cleaned and repainted - should I get the storage up in Boston or in DC??

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:11 pm

Hardatwork just posted this nice explanation of the reason to do storage at destination (substitute your locations)

Storage in Idaho would start as soon as your goods were picked up. Then when you were ready for delivery you would have to wait for yoru goods to arrive from Idaho. Not sure the delivery window they would advise.

Storage in San Diego would not start until they arrive into storage, allowing for some free time while your goods are in transit. When you are ready for delivery it would be a matter of how quickly the local agent could set up usually only a few days.

Return to “Open Community”