Moovers from CA to CT

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
California Nurse

Moovers from CA to CT

Postby California Nurse » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:16 am

I got an estimate from Moovers Inc, MCS Relocation and Delivery Services on 7-12-05, by Jayson, for my studio apartment, estimated weight 2835 lbs, for $2779.99 total billable charges, non-binding estimate. This includes loading the truck and unloading at my destination. I contacted Moovers because of positive reviews on the Berkeley Parent's Network email list, which is also where I found the referral to movingscam.com website. Moovers has a positive review here, with the caveat there is only one review.

I also checked into BE, who gave me a phone estimate to CT of $2357, for 10 feet (I think I only need 5), which does not include loading and unloading - I have to find and pay people for that. Delancy Street Movers, as an example, would be $180 to load, based on 3 men for 3 hr minimum.

So Moovers seems to be the best deal, and I echo the reviewer here who liked Jayson. I got good honest vibes. I mention all this because I'm anxious at the thought of moving across country again. I hope my next move will be back home to Chicago, a much shorter move from CT!

When I started pricing movers, I hoped I could do it for $2000, but that looks impossible. I've bought a car here in CA so I'll drive back east. UHaul is nearly as expensive as Moovers. I'm leaving the first week of August 2005.

Any thoughts?

Diane

Re: Moovers from CA to CT

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:13 am

Hi - I don't think you are going to do any better pricewise with any reputable full-service company. I admit, I'll feel better when we have more reviews of Moovers, Inc., but we do have one very good review posted here plus another one posted on www.yelp.com by Christina Joo. Christina has her photo posted on yelp.com and seems legit from what I can see--I think her contact info is there as well so you could email her to see what she says.

I spoke with Jayson on the phone recently and asked about Julie Brown's move (the one who posted here as "divina7") and he said that her move went very well, although she hasn't posted as yet. (See the discussion of Moovers on the sticky at the top of the message board.)

One thing that carries a lot of weight in my mind is the association between Moovers, Inc. and the Delancey Street Foundation. Delancey Street is rated AAA by the Los Angeles area BBB and that is almost unheard of. The part of the foundation that operates the moving company is known for its low prices and good service and for paying claims promptly and fairly.

The Moovers people like Jayson are graduates of the Delancey Street program, as I understand it, and they used to work for Delancey Street but have branched out on their own. Their prices hark back to pricing maybe three years ago when the rough guideline was still that you could move each 1 pound of goods across the country for 1 dollar. With gas prices the way they are now, I think that idea is almost a thing of the past.

Bottom line:- I think you will be OK with Moovers, Inc. and I myself wouldn't hesitate to use them. Your weight estimate, though nonbinding because I guess Jayson couldn't come to your residence, seems high enough for a studio apartment to protect you from a huge cost increase. Please be sure to come back to report on your move, including the time it took for your goods to cross the country.

California Nurse

Postby California Nurse » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:42 am

Jayson actually did come to my apt, which is one of the good signs according to the facts here ... :) Plus the positive Delancy Street connection. (I had a horrid experience with Fasttran Moving and East Moving for my last two local moves in Berkeley.) IIRC, he said his estimates of weight are pretty much correct. I could never guestimate how much all my stuff weighs if my life depended on it, but I don't doubt that it can be done. I'm a labor and delivery RN and guestimate weights of newborn infants every day within a few ounces of the actual weight, so I figure it can be done :)

Jayson just quoted me $2700 total, which I'd be a damn fool not to take, so I am. BE just quoted me a higher estimate, over $2300, plus I'd have to pay for loading and unloading.

This is the busy season, I understand the need to charge more. High demand, scarcity of services, we all deserve to make a buck while we can. Now I know technically the busy season is mid-June through mid-October so maybe next time I'll be able to move outside those times :)

In 1993 I moved from Chicago IL to Oak Park IL (I'm from Chicago, not CA) and actually hired a mover, Reebie, which I think was with United (???? -- can't remember). What they quoted me was far below what they charged me and they were nasty and threatening, reminded me of mafioso types. So that tipped me off to movers and I've used UHauls and paid my daughter's friends ever since. But these interstate moves are different :)

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:02 am

I think you made the right decision. The only caveat is that I think Moovers may take longer than BE to deliver your goods. Did Jayson give you a delivery spread, and if so, what is it?

Thanks for all the additional info. Reebie has bad remarks here already but it's good to have your take on them as well. They're an Allied agent now.

California Nurse

Re: Moovers from CA to CT -- RAVE

Postby California Nurse » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:09 pm

I want to give Mooovers Inc and MCS the highest possible recommendation ... they just completed my move from CA to CT within the time frame originally stated (although I was very flexible on the delivery date ... ). Each and every worker was courteous, professional, pleasant, a few with a good sense of humor, good common sense, and probably the largest sets of muscles seen outside of a gym .... All my belongings were A-OK (well, I've barely unpacked, but if anything's broken it will be due to my packing skills, not Mooovers -- no boxes are damaged) and nothing lost. The price was $2700 for my studio apt, not much furniture, mostly boxes. They stuck by their original quote. I'm guessing if you want them to move you, you should be flexible regarding pick up and delivery times because they have trucks making cross country runs at different times (who knows, maybe all movers are like this). But they would be worth the wait. I learned a bit about the moving business from chatting with the movers.

Goddess willing, I'll get my degree in 3 years and when I move to my first job as a midwife I'll call Mooovers back. I will recommend them to anybody who asks me for a mover. I don't make recommendations like this lightly. I'm a consumer, and I'm a nurse who also deals with the public; I know good quality service, hard work, and value when I experience it.

The problems I did have with this move had nothing to do with Mooovers and Jayson and company. If I did have problems with the movers I would have gone homicidal by now! Like the fact my laptop died within 3 days of getting here (along with my life's work and Jayson's email address -- if anyone has it could you send it to me?), CT's awful heat and humidity, the fact my apt's more of a dirty dive than I anticipated, I'm missing the Pacific Ocean and/or Chicago (take your pick), my financial aid fell through (so now I WILL be working half-time through school and not going FT), and I am out of money and don't have a job yet ... yadda yadda yadda.

(RAVE for old Volvos: I must say my 1992 Volvo 240 wagon is the Little Volvo That Could; that trustworthy little car chugged me along 3000+ miles without a single hitch, without needing water or oil added, taking me literally from the evening fog coming in from the Pacific on the East Bay to the heat seared humidity of the hazy Atlantic in New Haven.) I'm typing on my 1999 iMac with 8.5 OS. (Howzzat for a dinosaur? Just like me and my car, I guess.)

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:25 pm

Nurse, I have a non-move question: We are buying a '93 240DL sedan from my in-laws. Think we'll be happy with it (hopefully for many years)?

Diane

Re: Moovers from CA to CT -- RAVE

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:28 am

California Nurse wrote:. . . my laptop died within 3 days of getting here (along with my life's work and Jayson's email address -- if anyone has it could you send it to me?)

Hi again - sorry for all the miserable happenings, but glad that at least Moovers did right by you. The office number for Moovers is (925) 288-0630 and Jayson's email address is mcsrelocation @ hotmail.com. I know the weather is awful in the NY area right now. My sympathies. Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. If you see this, did Moovers pick your things up on the day they said they would? How long did it take them to drive across the country?

California Nurse

Postby California Nurse » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:05 am

Yes, they picked up my stuff on the day and time they said they would. They delivered everything within the time frame originally stated, too. I think it took the driver, Patrick, about 5 days to drive across the country. It would have taken me that same amount of time, too, if I didn't stop over in Chicago for a couple of days. Patrick explained a bit about the federal restrictions on how many hours a day and at what speed truck drivers can travel on the interstate. I don't think it could be done faster than 5 days.

Note: I passed quite a few BE and ABF trucks on I-80. Seemed like more of these than mainstream "moving" companies like Mayflower, &c.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:15 am

Thanks so much - if you remember the date that your things were picked up and the date that they were delivered, I would like to put that into your review that I've posted on our Moovers review thread to give others some idea of what they can expect. I assume that the total time that elapsed between pickup and delivery was around 14 days (?) since you originally said that the pickup was scheduled for the first week in August.

sudestada

Postby sudestada » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:11 pm

Could someone tell me the address of Moovers? I talked to somebody at CMS who carries the email moovers and they have agents spread all over the country and are reps for United. Are these guys, the same as the ones that the thread is talking about?
Does anybody have experience with United for a move coast to coast? :?:

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:46 am

Hi - the website for Moovers, Inc. (the one with dozens of good reviews on this messageboard) is www.mooversinc.com. There is a United agent in Washington State with the website www.moovers.com but the two companies are unrelated. United is the largest van line in the U.S. and does about a quarter of all household moves nationally.

Return to “Open Community”