move to virginia beach

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
bsa

move to virginia beach

Postby bsa » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:58 pm

Hello I am moving to VA Beach from NYC. I received 2 quotes from Flatbush Moving Van and University Van Lines. The quotes are vastly different. It is a one bedroom apt. Flatbush put it at 4200 lbs, but the quote is not guaranteed not to exceed. University Van Lines estimated 6200 lbs, but they said I'll get my money back if it is under. Does this ever really happen? How likely is it that i'll pay more than was quoted if I go with Flatbush? and Has anyone had any experience with these two companies. Thanks a lot

Diane

Re: move to virginia beach

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:09 pm

Hi - you can see reviews of University Van Lines in the Epinions article linked to below. It is one of the best-reviewed companies on this website. At least one person who moved with them posted that the move cost less than the GNTE estimate. I've noticed that they do tend to estimate on the high side; I'm not sure why. Their weight estimate does seem very high for a 1BR. You might call and tell them what the Flatbush estimate was and see whether they'll reconsider.

You can see reviews of Flatbush by using the Search button above and inputting the name. I've noticed that they tend to give low but Nonbinding quotes. This is never as good as a Binding or Binding Not to Exceed quote. If you're choosing only between these two companies, I would go with the University Van Lines quote for peace of mind. Remember that both University and Flatbush are using the same tariff (schedule of prices). If the discount level is the same, your cost should be virtually the same with both since it will be based on what the actual weight of your shipment is. (Your discount should be a percent, something like 53% listed somewhere on your estimates.)

You might also want to get a quote on your move from All Star Moving at 718-643-4705, an independent company in Brooklyn. Many good reviews are in the Epinions article below. They'll give you a type of Binding Not to Exceed quote that can go lower if the hours are less than the estimate, and they will guarantee that it won't go more than X percent higher, usually 5% to 10% depending on the distance.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

bsa

Postby bsa » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:52 pm

Thanks for your help Diane. I called All Star and they are giving me an estimate on Tuesday. University is re-evaluating their estimate on Friday. All Star hasn't had any complaints filed w/ the BBB for 3 years I think. They seem pretty reliable. I'll let you know how everything goes

bsa

Postby bsa » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:19 pm

Hello Diane
University's estimate was still very high (although guaranteed not to exceed). Flatbush was the lowest (no guarantee). All Star was great. The gentleman was very knowledgable, helpful, and courteous. His estimate was 700 more than flatbush's, but guaranteed not to exceed +10%. So I went with him.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:49 pm

Good choice. Rich Barrale is a gem, if that's who you dealt with. If he could only clone himself, I think he would put all the other moving companies in the country out of business. PLEASE come back to report after you move, OK? I would also be interested in what he quoted for your move.

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:22 pm

He quoted $3880. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks Again!!!

Return to “Open Community”