LA to atlanta

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
allan

LA to atlanta

Postby allan » Tue May 17, 2005 10:02 pm

Does anybody have any Los Angeles to Atlanta suggestions for a mover. I used Delancy street here for a local move and they were great. thanks in advance

Diane

Re: LA to atlanta

Postby Diane » Tue May 17, 2005 11:04 pm

Hi - can you please post details about your Delancey Street move so I can add them to our thread and in turn I'll tell you about options. Delancey might be able to move you to Atlanta--call them. They send a truck East a few times each month.

If you want to go with a low-cost but reliable company, I suggest that you look into Broadway Express (92 reviews and a FAQ sheet on stickies at the top of the messageboard). BE is usually at least 40% below the cost of a full-service mover, but you have to arrange for loading and unloading labor.

If you want to go with a full-service mover from the LA area, the ones with the best reviews and comments here include Gemini, Gentle Giant, Andy's Transfer, and Beverly Hills Transfer. You can search on any of these names to see more.

allan

Postby allan » Thu May 19, 2005 11:12 am

here's my experience with delancy street locally. We sold our house in Beverly Hills and moved temporarily into a duplex. (We are moving to Atlanta this summer). Dealancy street was recommended by my RE broker. They came out a couple of weeks before and gave me an estimate. On the day of the move there were 3 movers. The boss who was a terrific guy was named Sammy. The were extremely courteous and careful with our stuff. Some stuff was wrapped not only in blankets but in shrink wrap to protect it. Nothing was damaged. They were on time and they came in at under the estimate. I tipped them $100 and was very satisfied. I highly recommend them here in the Los Angeles area.

allan

Postby allan » Tue May 24, 2005 12:49 pm

Delancey street is booked and cannot move me cross country next month. I called Gemini & Beverly Hills transfer and they are both coming out to quote me this Thursday. Delancey street estimated that I have 15,000 lbs. Just for comparison sake, based on the 15k lbs, Gemini quoted approximately $11,000 while Beverly Hills quoted $9400 if I do it prior to the 26th of June. After the 25th, its peak season and the charges go up by about $750. I will repost when I get the true estimates from both. They both sounded very nice on the phone.

Allan
lavut@yahoo.com

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 24, 2005 12:54 pm

Please do keep us posted. Andy's Transfer (NAVL) is said to be good as well. Also, based on a review that just came in, you might call Moovers, Inc. to see whether they might send one of their 11 trucks East with your stuff since you have such a large load. See this thread, which deals with East Coast to West Coast but some information would apply to your move - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4459

Allan

Postby Allan » Fri May 27, 2005 11:30 pm

Had both Gemini (United) and Beverly Hills Transfer and Storage (Allied) out yesterday to give me firm estimates. Both gentlemen that came out were very nice people. Gemini's guy used a handheld inventory gizmo and a sheet to punch in his estimate. The BH transfer guy did it the old fashioned way like Delancey street does. I am moving 2 households, mine & my mother in laws. Her move requires packing which I asked them both to do. Here's the bottom lines. Gemini estimate, a binding not to exceed was for 17,500 lbs. With a $100,000 declared value, $500 deductible and full packing at Mom's house (about $1100), the total was $15,181. Beverly Hills estimated weight was 14,500 lbs, 130 lbs less than the Delancy street estimate. With the full packing (about $1200), $75,000 declared value with $500 deductible the total Guaranteed price pledge was $11,587. Needless to say, I signed up with BHTS. By the way, if I would schedule the move on the 25th of June or later, there would be an additional $830 charge from BHTS due to peak busy season. Gemini didn't have an additional charge. I scheduled for the 24th :wink: The only thing which I was wondering about is that they said they would charge me the full amount on the day of pick up. Is that normal? I also got a call today from Moovers. I called them earlier in the week & they just returned my call. They claimed that they were having phone problems. I told them I was already booked. I will keep you updated on my progress.

Allan

allan

Postby allan » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:48 pm

Here is the update on my recent moving experience. Sorry it took so long but i was without internet access for over 2 weeks, but that's another story. Beverly Hills transfer/Allied were terrific. The driver called me a couple of days before pickup. We had to do the pickup on 2 consecutive days as there were 2 houses. Truck drivers name was Albert Smith. He was fantastic. Courteous, hard working and he tracked every box & package in detail. Couldn't have had a better guy. His LA crew were also excellent at packing the truck. They worked long and hard and we barely fit everything in this huge truck. It is very interesting how they pack. It is like a giant puzzle that has to fit in the truck. The crew that packed (which I paid extra for) my mother in laws house was headed up by another terrific and funny guy named 'Big Sal". He and his crew did a terrific job and packed EVERYTHING, and not a thing was broken at arrival in Atlanta. They even packed up her granola bars. He told me that he only works with BH Transfer clients. He was also well worth the extra packing charges as they did a great job. The unloading crew in Atlanta were also pretty good although a little slower than the LA guys. As for the time frame, Albert told me that he would be at my new house in Atlanta within 7 days and I think he made it in 6. He called me from the road a couple of days before arriving just to double check & coordinate. I was really impressed by Albert. If anybody is using BH Transfer get this guy & his truck to do the job. I also have to compliment the sales agent at BH Transfer, Barry Eisen. The price that he quoted me was the price that I paid, not a penny more. He was also on top of things and was helpful whenever I called to ask a question. I paid a total of $11,587 for this move. That's a lot of money but I have to tell you that they were worth the expense. These guys know their stuff. Now if I could only get these construction guys to finish up my house I'd be very happy. As bad as moving is, building a new house is worse. :)

Allan
lavut @ yahoo.com

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:25 pm

Wonderful report; thank you. I spaced out your email address to try to protect it from being picked up by spammers.

Return to “Open Community”