Direct Move from DC area to Michigan

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
deliotb

Direct Move from DC area to Michigan

Postby deliotb » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:11 pm

Still working on my dual moves, and I'm disappointed in that all the movers we've contacted say that it will take up to two weeks to get our stuff (3,400 or so pounds) to Michigan. Anyone know of a reputable local mover that will put our stuff on a small truck and take it directly to Michigan, arriving in a day or two? Student Services used to do this, before they went belly up in DC.

MusicMom

Re: Direct Move from DC area to Michigan

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:53 pm

Then next option would be to load up a rental truck and drive it yourself. You can drive it in 10-12 hours. Hire loaders at each end from emove.com or LaborReady. Keep track of your belongings the entire time, save some money, if you are willing to deal with a bit more hassle.

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:57 pm

It wont happen because it is not cost effective. If your only worried about getting your things to destination in two days, and you dont have a whole heck of a lot, why not do it yourself.

The reason majors dont move you in two days is because it is not cost effective to be running little trucks all over the country with small shipments with no guarantee of something coming back on them. Thus why bigger trucks are used, to accomadate more shipments.

Take with you what you need to get by with and wait. Or you can surely get some scammer to promise you they will deliver your goods in two days and possibly never see it again.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:00 pm

Just so you know, I went to UM, and travelled several times between this area and A2. We did it in a UHaul in the time I quoted, with a car on a tow trailer, with no troubles. I do not remember the prices, nor do I recommend doing it in a UHaul. :wink:

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:04 pm

Musicmom,

Until now I could never put my finger on what I thought was up your A$$. Now I know, your a UM grad. My god what could be worse. Not much. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its a joke people!!!!!!!!!!! But not about the UM stuff, lol.
Michael

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:10 pm

MM, do you have any thoughts about using a U-Haul tow trailer (as opposed to using a U-Haul van)? Someone was asking for opinions about it on this other thread, because apparently U-Haul is the only company that has the trailers - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5282

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:33 pm

I don't know about the trailers. We put my Corolla up on the 4-wheel car dolly, pulled behind a large truck. i guess it would depend on the vehicle pulling the Uhaul traielr.

I have often wondered about the painted sign on the traielrs warning you not to go over 50 miles per hour. Have you EVER seen anyone heeding this? What dangers does it pose to go 55, 60, 65, or even 70?

Michael,
I could never put my finger on what I thought was up your A$$.
If this is what they teach you to do at your lesser school, then I ahve to wonder about your education!
GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
(reminds me of a joke, as my hubby's a Yalie:
Two men are finishing up in the washroom. The man wearing the Yale sweater starts to leave when the Harvard man says, "You know, at Harvard, they teach us to wash our hands in the restroom.". The Yale alum quips, "well, at Yale, they taught us not to piss on our hands." and leaves.)
I apologize!

deliotb

Postby deliotb » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:42 am

Found two options for DC area small moves if you don't want to wait up to two weeks for your stuff: Student Services in Charlottesville will come to DC for a move; and Gulliver's will do it. Student Services wanted about $4,000 for the move, almost double the big van lines, and didn't have the dates we wanted available. Gulliver's asked $2,600 and was very accommodating on the dates, though they did ask for a $50 deposit. Gulliver's price is also guaranteed, which I like. (For the local move/storage part of my move, I also went with the company that guaranteed its price, even though I had lower estimates. Guaranteed prices get business. Are you listening, moving companies?)

So, I decided to go with Gulliver's. I know that it's received mixed reviews here, but I've seen there trucks in the area for twenty years, and have friends who've used them successfully, so I'm not very concerned.

This board has been very helpful, thanks.

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:46 am

Good luck.
Michael

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:56 am

Didn't you just post that Student Services is now a NAVL agent?

Anyway, my concern about Gulliver's is that the bad reports about it here were for long-distance move like yours. It seems to do OK on local moves, but apparently for long-distance it farms the moves out to some other company. Lots of times when people research these companies they don't notice patterns like this. Local and long distance are two different animals in the moving business.

In my opinion, people considering this company should look at the following thread from 2004, which gives a balanced and very detailed account of the good and bad things that have been reported about Gulliver's - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1833 At that time, Gulliver's didn't have an MC license number.
Last edited by Diane on Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:04 am

hey hey hey Diane, us movers are listening. Like I said, good luck.
Michael

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:05 am

Well, I decided to check to see whether Gulliver's of Alexandria, VA has its MC license now. It does - MC #510589. HOWEVER, I was alarmed to see that it has absolutely no authority to do interstate moves. Nothing--not contract, common, or broker authority. So it's going to farm out your long-distance move to some random company. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT use Gulliver's!

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:08 am

No no no let her use Gullivers. I mean its free storage and they can meet her dates. And my gosh, they gave her a guaranteed price.
Michael

deliotb2

Postby deliotb2 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:30 pm

With regard to Student Services, it had two locations, Charlottesville and Falls Church. The Falls Church branch is defunct, but Charlottesville is still around as an independent company, and will do interstate moves from DC.

As far as no authority to do interstate moves for Gulliver's, I see what you're getting at. I had checked Safersys, and they are listed in the "Company Snapshop" at Interstate movers, and have a DOT and MC number. But the "Motor Carrier Details" page has them not listed with authority, insurance, etc. Also says they are process agents for "EVILSIZOR TRANSPORTATION SERVICES." What does that mean?

Noone

Postby Noone » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:39 pm

Evilsizor's website seems to be a great place to go if you want to get into the trucking business.
$600 and they do all of the paperwork, filing, etc.

However, I assume this is a rhetorical question, and you are more concerned with getting your things to the destination in your time frame and not way overbudgeted, and as you currently don't have a way of doing that, you might want to consider the cost of renting a truck and day laborers, or accept the overwhelming odds that your things will need more than 2 days to do a long distance move by professionals in the summer, and stuff the car you're driving with essentials.

Return to “Open Community”