qns about companies, schedule; moving Valencia, CA to WA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Nancy

Re: qns about companies, schedule; moving Valencia, CA to WA

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:04 pm

Agents for major van lines do not maintain their own interstate authority. You need to check out the carrier performing the move. You can also check California movers out with the state authorities. Try www.cpuc.ca.gov or www.thecmsa.org

Even though the state license wouldn't apply to your move, it's another avenue to research potential movers.

hmacd

Postby hmacd » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:22 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Nancy! Does that caveat about Andy's being an agent for NAVL and operating under their licensce also explain why they are not listed as carrying BIPD insurance and why their common authority is listed as inactive? Should either of those facts worry me?

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:22 pm

You need to research NAVL's DOT and MC numbers. That is the carrier and their insurance would apply on an interstate move.

hmacd

Postby hmacd » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:29 pm

Thanks so much, Nancy! I am reassured, and glad to know that both the information on this website and my own impressions are reliable.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:29 pm

Andy's Transfer is rated A by the Los Angeles area BBB, which is about the highest rating that you can get. The only one I've seen higher is Delancey Street Movers, listed as the Delancey Street Foundation in Los Angeles (AAA). North American Van Lines will be carrying all the necessary licensing and insurance for Andy's. You can disregard anything on www.safersys.org that seems to indicate that Andy's has any deficiencies.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:07 pm

rerickson ~ I'm just curious, who did you decide on to do your move? I know it's within the next couple of weeks.

rerickson

update

Postby rerickson » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:30 am

Just a quick note, since we're on the road.
We ended up shipping 110 boxes (3400lb) of books and papers by palletized freight, and the rest of our household goods by a full-service mover, Gemini / United Van Lines.

For the heavy papers, ABF's container service would have been the obvious choice. It's a flat rate rather than per pound, and loading an onsite container would be convenient! Unfortunately, they don't offer door-to-door container service at either our source or destination, and shuttling to and from the nearest ABF terminal would be too much time, hired labor, and truck cost.

A standard ABF U-Pack trailer is too large to be economical for just the papers, and we wanted an air-ride van for the rest of our things. Broadway Express doesn't give much flexiblity for changes in cubic feet; we didn't have a solid number for the size of our load.

The best price I was able to find by myself was UPS Supply Chain. For shipments of this size, they're cheaper than the freight companies (who have higher charges for liftgates and residential deliveries).
We would have hired a local shipping store to palletize our stuff.
As it turns out, he was able to beat their price, using his discount with them.
We hired a helper through LaborReady and rented a U-Haul panel van.

Prices we found for 3000 lb of books/papers from Valencia, CA to Anacortes, WA (1180 miles):

Freight va the shipping store: $1140 ($.38/lb)
UPS Supply Chain: $1173 plus palletizing
UPS Ground: $1296
US Postal Service Media Mail: $1084, but only books qualify (not papers)
ABF Container $695 for 1, $1195 for 2, max 2500lb ea; not available door to door

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:55 am

Hi - thanks so much for this very detailed information, including on Gemini on the other thread. Sorry to hear that communication was so bad at Gemini.

I was trying to look into this UPS Supply Chain that you mention and I found the website but am unsure how a customer would get a quote from them. Do you have to locate an affiliated packaging store, and how do you do that, exactly? Can they handle large items like furniture? Thanks.

rerickson

UPS Supply Chain

Postby rerickson » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:12 pm

I believe UPS Supply Chain handles only freight on pallets, banded and wrapped. I never found a local shipping co that deals with them; there's an (800) number for UPS SC to get quotes. (You'll need weight, pallet dimensions and height. Ask for a liftgate and say it's residential delivery.) My plan had been to have the local box company act as the place where freight would pick up, and also set up the pallets.

We felt confident sending our boxes by freight pallet, since they're almost impossible to damage. I have no info (good or bad) on how safe a wrapped-up sofa would be.

The dual setup we used -- freight for sturdy, dense stuff and full-service for the light, delicate -- seems to have worked well. It was extra work, tho most of that was researching the options.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:36 pm

We would have hired a local shipping store to palletize our stuff.
As it turns out, he was able to beat their price, using his discount with them.
We hired a helper through LaborReady and rented a U-Haul panel van.

Sorry to belabor this, but this is the part I don't understand. Who is "them"? Did the local shipping store have a discount with UPS Supply Chain? Or just with UPS?

How did you find the local shipping store and do you want to identify it? I'm interested because I was thinking that either option--UPS Supply Chain or the local shipping store--might be cheaper than Ship Smart, Navis Small Moves, and the like.

Did you move the books and papers to the local shipping store in the U-Haul? What did you think of the LaborReady worker? I am collecting opinions about them. How much did you have to pay for his services?

rerickson

Postby rerickson » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:02 am

This particular store, a Box Brothers franchise, doesn't do business with UPS. He's shipping with a freight company, I don't know which one. (My own freight quote was from ABF.) You could probably get a quote from any local shipping/mailing/boxing place that'll do pallets.

I used a U-Haul panel van and one helper to move the 105 boxes from two locations to his store.
The LaborReady guy was great: energetic, sharp, showed initiative, didn't need to be supervised. When we'd finish a task and I was occupied, he'd identify the most useful thing to do next. If anything, he was almost too respectful and deferential (former Marine).
LaborReady (Santa Clarita) charged me almost $20/hr, probably over twice what they pay their workers. He was worth it. However, they were a mess! We were scheduled to start at 9am. By 9:20, with nobody showing up, I phoned -- they had a cancellation, were looking for a replacement, and each of the two office people thought the other can phoned me. 9:50 still no word, I phone again. 10:00 they call, somebody's on the way to their office, will leave from there at 10:30 (less than 15 minutes away). 10:30 I call, it's pending. 11:20 they finally arrive. At no point along the way did they call to inform me of any problem or snag.
If I were still in Santa Clarita, I'd hire this guy directly. He was just what we needed!

Return to “Open Community”