interstate move between nyc and st.louis

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
MusicMom

Re: interstate move between nyc and st.louis

Postby MusicMom » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:52 pm

There is also an additional address of 400 SIP AVE JERSEY CITY NJ 07306 listed, which appears to have a LOT of companies residing there, includingrestaurants, auto dealers, tire stores, limousine services, check cashing place, and:

www.peacemovers.com

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:56 pm

Yes, technically they ar licensed and have everything up to snuff. But they have been flat out lying too you and everyone else saying they have 15 years' experience, a fleet of current-year trucks (they have two), and loads of customer referrals and repeat business. The only way that can ahppen is if they have previously been open under another name, which I am currently looking into. Plus, they are being extra careful to hide who's behind the company.

Did they actually come to your house and give an estimate?

jd

Postby jd » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:01 pm

no they did not come to my house, but l gave them the cubic ft estimate that 3 large companies gave me when they did onsites.

they put this in my quote:
Understanding Your Quote
********************* The price is for full service move. *********************** The price is a binding price including full packing for 900 cf. The price includes loading and unloading, preparing a detailed inventory list for your items, mileage,insurance, tax and tolls. The move is direct to the customer house.

Is this a binding-not-to-exceed quote? because that is what i demanded and this is what they wrote in the written quote to satisfy that request.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:09 pm

Oh. The Cubic Foot estiamte you used from the other companies is no good to begin with. An interstate move should be based on weight, which can be verified by Certified Weight Tickets from a highway weigh station. Three is no way to verify Cubic Feet, and there are no protections allowing you to dispute the measurement, while you ARE allowed to ask for a re-weigh of the truck if you don't believe them. They could claim a 5,000 CF truck is filled with 10,000 CF of your stuff, and they'd win.

According to that bit I took from their website, a binding quote is nullified if it is not based on an in-home estimate. So that piece of paper offers you no protection, even if it says "BINDING QUOTE" in 20-inch letters and is signed in blood.

Here it is again:
A Written Binding Estimate is the legal term for a “flat price”. If you receive a written Biding Estimate (WEB), make sure you carefully read the back of the contract. There are a few conditions that, if not complied with, will make the agreement void. Also, a WEB is not valid unless you have had an on site evaluation – the company must see the goods, take an agreed upon inventory, and pre-determine services to be provided.

Best to remember that once a mover has you things, nothing written on paper can actually stop them from demanding three or four times the estimate to deliver. Not a lot of laws can be used to discipline moving companies.

I think it's time to move on to a different company. Why don't we start over? You're moving from NYC to St Louis, right? First of all, read the article to the top left with the 8) . Diance has a list of well-reviewed movers int he NYC area, as well as an epinions article discussing all of these companies.

Let us know who you are thinking about, K?

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:37 pm

jd wrote:no they did not come to my house, but l gave them the cubic ft estimate that 3 large companies gave me when they did onsites.

they put this in my quote:
Understanding Your Quote
********************* The price is for full service move. *********************** The price is a binding price including full packing for 900 cf. The price includes loading and unloading, preparing a detailed inventory list for your items, mileage,insurance, tax and tolls. The move is direct to the customer house.

Is this a binding-not-to-exceed quote? because that is what i demanded and this is what they wrote in the written quote to satisfy that request.

No, this is not a binding quote. As MM pointed out, they are measuring in cubic feet. What they will say is "We said it was binding for 900 CF, but once we got the truck loaded it really turned out to be (whatever number they need to put here) cubic feet. Believe, me, if it was only 900, that's what we would have charged. Can you wire us the balance so we can take the stuff out of our warehouse and get it to you this month or so?"

Pros go by weight, and the laws protect you by weight. Look into the sticky that MM mentioned to get a price on ABF or Broadway, and hiring some local labor.

jd

Postby jd » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:59 pm

well ben hur, flat rate and mayflower gave me on site quotes and all told me i had 850 cubic ft...these are reputable companies so why are they using this measure instead of pounds?

one guy did give me an onsite and told me he has me at 5400 pounds. is this reliable? how am i to know?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:44 pm

Ben Hur is a known scammer (do a search on them here to see the complaints), Flat Rate uses a completely different pricing system (and I don't think the company has proven themselves yet, although I don't think they're bad) so they can't really be compared to the others' quotes, and Mayflower depends on which agent. Some in your area have less-than-stellar reputations. If one of them quoted in weight, too, then that may be a starting point. But under no circumstances should you accept an estimate based solely on Cubic Feet (some estimates may mention CF, but only before using a conversion factor of 7 pounds per CF to figure out the weight). Which comapny did the 5400 pounds quote?

With this information, are you still thinking about any of the four companies?

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:00 pm

jd wrote:well ben hur, flat rate and mayflower gave me on site quotes and all told me i had 850 cubic ft...these are reputable companies so why are they using this measure instead of pounds?

Was it Meyer's Mayflower that gave you an estimate based on cubic feet? I've noticed that estimating by cubic feet is particularly common in the NY metro area. Many people have very small apartments and they can sort of see how many cubic feet they have by (for example) piling things up in a corner and measuring them, whereas they have no idea how much weight they have. People in NYC have been kind of "trained" to think in terms of cubic feet, in other words, and some of the dubious or scam companies feed into this by quoting by cubic feet. I would be surprised if a Mayflower agent did this, but not totally astounded if it was Meyer's.

I think that if the quotes you already have from full-service movers are too high for you, you should consider going with one of the U-Pack options as MusicMom said. Unless you are below 30th Street in Manhattan, on a very narrow street in Brooklyn, or in an area of Queens with elevated train tracks, Broadway Express should have no problem loading you without using a shuttle.

The cost with BE is normally at least 35% below the cost of a full-service mover. If you have 5400 pounds, as one person told you, that is 11 or 12 linear feet in a BE trailer, which would cost you around $2100 or $2200 plus the cost of loading and unloading labor. You can play around with the numbers here - http://www.broadwayexpress.net/household.html

With a quote this low for transportation charges, you could hire All Star Moving in Brooklyn (718-643-4705) to load the BE trailer at a cost of $30/hour per worker. You wouldn't need All Star to send a truck to carry dollies, etc. because BE already has all necessary equipment on the trailer. All Star has excellent reviews--see the Epinions article linked to below--and I'm sure it could pack you too if you want to make things easier for your wife. Then in St. Louis you could hire workers from www.LaborReady.com or www.eMove.com to unload you. Unloading isn't nearly as difficult as loading so less skilled workers can be used.

Like MusicMom, I don't think you should consider Great American further. I inputted one of the sentences she quoted from their website (A Written Binding Estimate is the legal term for a “flat price”.) into Google and the identical sentence came up on www.megamoving.com, which also looks extremely dubious.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:36 am

D, the two websites were created by the same person (Balianti), so I imagine they would look similar (and do). ALso registered through Go Daddy.

jd

Postby jd » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:00 am

thank you everyone for all your help. i sent an email to great american asking all relevant questions and they have not satisfied me at all, so i am in fact ditching them. it seems like the best way to go is hire people to pack and load, and then perhaps BE to move and hire others to unload. however, im somewhat concerned that doing this may be hard to coordinate since timing is tough - i have to figure out how long it will take to pack me so that they get here with correct amount of time to load the truck. then i have to hire people to unload, but will be hard to determine exactly when BE will arrive. it seems like ill be paying a lot of extra hours here. am i wrong?

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:16 am

Hi - you should be able to avoid paying for extra hours, as I'll explain below.

BE will schedule your pickup for a specific day and you would call All Star or whatever company you use to help load and tell them, look, I'll need you to load on X day. Then the BE driver will call you a couple of days before to confirm exactly what time he'll be there, at which point you would call All Star to tell them what time their workers should come. I think All Star would have enough workers to schedule you, but you should call to discuss it. If not, people have said that LaborReady workers are nearly ALWAYS available on short notice, even the same day.

Also, do you need PACKING (putting things in boxes) or just LOADING (carrying things down the stairs and putting them into the truck)? That's the first thing to decide. If you need packing, workers from a company like All Star would probably come the day before the truck arrives to pack.

At destination, the BE driver will call you a couple of days out to tell you what day he's coming. Again, you can call a company like LaborReady.com to get workers to help unload. I observed two LaborReady workers unload a BE truck in CA over the weekend and although their appearance was unkempt (unshaven, etc.), they were extremely polite and they knew what they were doing. They DID need some guidance from the BE driver as to how to position heavy items on the dollies, but both had had previous moving experience. In any case unloading is much easier than loading.

The LaborReady workers told me that they like the moving jobs because there is a 4-hour minimum and rarely do they have to work for the full 4 hours. Just so you know, the ones I saw were getting $7/hour but LaborReady was billing the customer $17/hour for their services.

You should call BE to make sure they can pick you up at your location without using a shuttle.

jd

Postby jd » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:37 am

thanks for the tips...i do indeed need someone to do packing as well. do you think all star will provide materials as well or should i do that on my own? also, how long you think BE would take to do the move? i guess at this point i should just be mkaing the calls myself...lol

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:44 am

Hi - yes, I will be asking you for a commission at this point. :lol:

I think All Star will want to provide the materials. You should call them and ask--Chris (phone answerer) and Rich (owner) are both very nice. It might be better to wait until tomorrow morning because Tuesdays and Wednesdays are slower for most moving companies. I would call early, around 8 am, to try to get Rich himself on the line. Although I suspect that it may be kind of costly for packing, you will be saving a bundle on the transportation charges. Be sure to tell them that you want them to load as well.

My guess is that BE would do that move in about 5-7 days at this time of year, but they will give you a range (called a "delivery spread") when you book.

Unhappy customer

Postby Unhappy customer » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:18 pm

There is nothing "Great" about Great American Van Lines.

I live in California. I used Great American Van Lines (GAVL) for a simple furniture move from New Jersey to Connecticut on July 14th. After I agreed to their competitive estimate, I FAX'd them an inventory of seven items. The sales guy told me he received the FAX. "We're all set", he said.

They showed up on time at the pick-up site and finished within an hour. The movers asked for Toll money which we gave to them. I called GAVL to complain and they said, "oh that wasn't in the original estmate....yeah that's right...we're going to enter you as a VIP in our system"...

5 hours later they called the Connecticut drop-off site to say their truck had broken down in New Jersey and wanted directions. They then travelled in rush hour traffic which doubled their travel time. When they finished at nearly midnight, the bill was more than twice my original estimate. The movers would not leave the Connecticut premises until final payment was received.

I was then forced to "negotiate" to a high, but unpleasant settlement with the owner of GAVL by phone, as my family in Connecticut was being intimidated by their movers. The movers would not leave the premises until a number had been agreed upon. The owner made the situation "my problem". He whined about his tired men and how the trip cost so much, and how he was losing money. At the same time, his two guys are sitting in a Connecticut kitchen at 12 midnight, and refusing to budge. I begrudgingly agreed to an amount that was substantially higher than the original estimate, knowing I was being taken advantage of, but afraid fo my family in Connecticut. To add insult to injury, the 2 movers asked for Toll money and tips for the return leg. Unbelievable. There are no tolls on the return trip. In hindsight, I should have called the Connecticut police.

The next day, I learned they the inventory was short. Only 5 of 7 items had been picked up. GAVL was only focused on my credit card and no details. The "sales guy" blamed the mix-up on "the secreatry". Yeah right.

I have been going back and forth for 2 weeks with these guys. They promised me a resolution that is not forthcoming.

This is either lousy execution on their side or "bait and switch". Regardless, do not use them.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:52 pm

Wow, in business for one month, and their first complaint has popped up.

Avoid (Mirit) Great American Van Lines!

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5394

Return to “Open Community”