JK Vreeland (Plainfield, NJ)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
akp

JK Vreeland (Plainfield, NJ)

Postby akp » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:26 pm

Hi! I need some advise. We are looking to move from Morris County, NJ to Hunterdon County, NJ and are going to contact the following moving companies:
The Padded Wagon (Parsippany, NJ)
J.K. Vreeland Moving & Storage (through Bekins) (Plainfield, NJ)
United Van Lines (Parsippany, NJ)

Any advice/problems/suggestions?

Thanks!

SkyyBlueGuest

Re: move within New Jersey

Postby SkyyBlueGuest » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:20 pm

Hi akp,

We are also moving to Hunterdon County at the end of June! We've had 3 estimates so far: Alpha Moving & Storage (Jersey City), A Supreme Movers (Fair Lawn), and Allied/Simonik of Bridgewater.

We have decided to use Allied/Simonik. Their rate was the highest, but they were the most professional, honest, and legit.

I've done A LOT of research on the others and all I can say is STAY FAR, FAR AWAY from A Supreme Movers!

Best wishes on your upcoming move! P.S. Where in Hunterdon County are you moving? I was born and raised there, but we're currently in Somerset County.

kp

Postby kp » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:28 pm

Hi! Thanks for the info. (sorry b/c when I first posted - didn't realize I wasn't signed in and it was my first time so used guest as my login info). We actually decided to go with Peers Moving out of Dover. There is a positive post here and on other sites for them and they didn't want to hold our stuff overnight in their lot like the two other companies we got estimates from. We are moving to Alexandria Township from Morris Twp (Morris County). We are extremely excited for a little peace and quiet! I grew up in Bville (Somerset County) so feel like my daughter will be able to enjoy the country the way I did. Where are you moving to? We move this Saturday and are a little nervous with the rain predicted. Our new house has beige wall to wall carpeting on the stairs and the second floor! UGH!

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:00 pm

Hi - Allied/Simonik has a vote of confidence on this website from "weem" (a moving professional who doesn't work for them). Alpha Moving & Storage in Jersey City has bad comments, including some from a person that I myself interviewed - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1643

blangga

Postby blangga » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:59 am

I believe that Vreeland/Bekins handled my move three years ago. It was from PA to NJ (about a 2.5 hr drive), and it was arranged through my company as part of relocation. I'd give them a mixed review. Their truck broke down on the way, which delayed me getting my stuff for a day. But they did reimburse me for a hotel stay (since I had no bed to sleep in). I was annoyed because rather than making me the priority for the next day, they said they had to finish their other moves, and didn't get to my apartment until late in the evening.

The drivers were nice enough, and none of my stuff got damaged.

B

vixvm

JK Vreeland Review

Postby vixvm » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:49 pm

My wife and I were moving from New Jersey to California. We called Bekins on a recommendation from my brother in law. They sent a representative from JK Vreeland to our place to assess our move. I also decided to check out other moving companies as well, just to cover the bases. One of them was Moovers.

We were kind of skeptical that a company from California could do as good of a job since they didn't have representatives in NJ to assess our move. Nevertheless, my wife and I took pictures and sent a detailed inventory to the fellas at Moovers. In the end we decided to go with Moovers and here are the reasons why: 1. the Moovers quote included crating our plasma TV, JK Vreeland didn't crate TV's and gave us a 3rd party company that did crating for $450 extra 2. Bekins didn't have good reviews on the internet and the BBB 3. the representatives from Moovers were easy to talk with and were very responsive to our e-mails; the rep from JK Vreeland didn't know how to use the e-mail to send us our quotes and kept asking us if he could fax it instead.

When we called JK Vreeland to say we were going with Moovers, the Vreeland rep got mad and "wished that they wrecked the sh*t" out of our stuff. I'm not kidding!

The rest of the experience was typical of Moovers stories here on this site. It was fantastic. The drivers were cordial, repectful of our property and quick in both the pickup and drop off. I definitely recommend Moovers. I DO NOT RECOMMEND JK VREELAND.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:06 am

When we called JK Vreeland to say we were going with Moovers, the Vreeland rep got mad and "wished that they wrecked the sh*t" out of our stuff. I'm not kidding!

Yikes! Someone's a sore loser!

FredMc

Re: *move within New Jersey

Postby FredMc » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:23 am

For what it's worth, I used Crofutt & Smith based out of Morris County for 2 moves within NJ. They were quite good and fairly priced; I'd recommend 'em, but this was a couple of years ago...you might want to check on more recent experiences with them.

Fred

likkerpikker

Postby likkerpikker » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:16 am

I have received 3 quotes for moving locally in NJ, one from Simonik, One from Central Moving and one from Apollo. Simonik was by far the cheapest. I had heard they were usually more expensive. Has anyone actually used them? Also, what was up with the wierd posting about the owner using a gun to motivate his employees?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:29 am

I'm not sure about the pricing issues. Can you compare the estiamtes together and see if items lists are different, or they are using different discounts, or other differences between the two?

Simonki's reviews are compiled about halfway down THIS post.

Regarding the gun incident, I have not been able to find the original article on this (it's no longer on the paper's website), but someone reprinted it on their blog. I cannot attest to the accuracy of this article.
BRIDGEWATER -- A moving company owner seeking to motivate his employees with the gospel and a gun faces weapons charges after an employee reported him to police.

The employee contacted Bridgewater police, saying that James Simonik, president of Simonik Moving & Storage on Easy Street, called a sales department meeting Thursday to discuss discrepancies and commissions, police said.

"Simonik started talking about a religious sermon he had once heard during which God told a group of disciples that Jesus was never wrong. Simonik then stated that he heard that someone had called him intimidating," Somerset County Prosecutor Wayne J. Forrest said about the Bridgewater police investigation.

That's when Simonik, 57, of Westfield pulled a gun from a leather bag and put it on a table with the gun's barrel facing an employee, police said. "He then asked the employees, 'Now, who is intimidated?'" police said.

That's funny, it gets better...

Simonik's attorney, Thomas Pavics of Flemington, called the incident a "huge misunderstanding."

"He was trying to make a point,"

I'm pretty sure there is only one point that a gun can make.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:37 am

Maybe this guy ( with the gun) should be given a bunch of deportation papers and be assigned to clean up the scam mover industry.

likkerpikker

Postby likkerpikker » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:41 am

Thanks, looks like for the most part reviews have pretty good. Apollo from somsert and Central Moving Systems were both reommended to me by friends. The average hourly rate I was quoted for 4 men was around $170-$180. Simonik was $149, All in all there quote was about $1000 cheaper. One interersting thing was Central Moving bases it on weight, even though it is a local move. Again there estimate was about $1000 higher, but I don't need to worry about workers slacking off costing me additional money. Ever here of the 2 other companies?

Also, Simonik is an Allied agent, I have used Allied in the past for a national move and was very happy, does that really mean anything for a local move, or does Allied have nothing to do with it. Is Allied at least involved on the insurance end? They claim they are.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:57 am

For local moves, you need to look at the reputation of the agent itself as the moving company. Allied won't be involved at all.

Diane

Re: JK Vreeland (Plainfield, NJ)

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:47 pm

Comments here indicate that Apollo should be avoided. University Van Lines and Wade Odell Wade have excellent reviews. See this summary post and the one above it - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7661#57661

The Simonik owner used bad judgment but industry people that I trust in NJ have told me that they think the company is OK.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

ArchieWhite

Re: JK Vreeland (Plainfield, NJ)

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:51 am

We use donuts to motivate our sales people at sales meetings, maybe this guy has a better idea?

Return to “Open Community”