LA to Chicago by Aug 15 - MAyflower or North American?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Tracynjay

LA to Chicago by Aug 15 - MAyflower or North American?

Postby Tracynjay » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:19 pm

We are moving to Chicago from LA in just three weeks and still haven't decided on a mover. I have been burned bad before by Allied American Van lines, which makes me afraid this time. Any advice would be most appreciated.

I have had estimates done by Mayflower and North American. The local affilliates gave estimates as follows:

1. Mayflower - Blue Chip Moving & storage gave a GNTE binding estimate for 16,600 lbs at about $15,700 for packing and moving. After checking the BBB, they have a rating of CC.

2. North American - Alex Moving & Storage gave an estimate of 16,600 lbs with packing and moving at $11,069. They claim to have their own fleet of trucks, no peak season charge, etc.
They have a BBB rating of BB.

What do I do? Time is ticking away...

Tracy

Michael

Re: LA to Chicago by Aug 15 - MAyflower or North American?

Postby Michael » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:24 pm

Wow, same weight yet $4000 dollar difference. Something isnt adding up right. Since your in CA, Nancy can tell you more about which company has a better rep.

But the price difference raises a red flag.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:36 pm

Did Alex give you a GNTE? Do a search on this site for them. Previously, a customer got a non-binding from them, and the price increase significantly. Can you look at the estimates and see what the discount level is?

Tacynjay

Postby Tacynjay » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:41 pm

Alex did not give a GNTE, so I am afraid to go with them, but he BBB rating of Blue chip makes me nervous too.

No idea what the discount is, but they are charging much less for a full pack than Mayflower and they are waiving the peak season charge.

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:43 pm

Nancy,

Does NAVL even have a peak season this year. I thought they were just controlling their discount.

In regards to the packing, it sounds like Mayflower gave you a full pack based on weight as opposed to NAVL which gave you one per box, which couldaccount fot the cost be lower. But lord forbid if they are wrong on the box count, your cost will sky rocket.

In this case I would think a full pack based on weight would be more beneficial.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:44 pm

There is no peak season charge in the North American system this year, so that's an empty promise. No NAVL agent would charge you that.

Your quotes should show the discount levels, and it should be around 60%.

I would not go with Alex without a GNTE price. They specifically had a complaint here, I'll try to find it and post.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:47 pm

Read this thread and see how you like Alex Moving:

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... sc&start=0

Tracynjay

Postby Tracynjay » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:56 pm

Thank you Nancy for posting that letter. I will not use Alex after reading that. I had the unfortunate experience that last big move that the driver got that call from his boss BEFORE they unloaded the truck and our belongings were held for the ransom of double what our estimate was. I am not going through that again!

Any recommendations for good companies in Los Angeles? I am willing to pay a higher rate for no worries!

Tracynjay

Postby Tracynjay » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:12 pm

Can you help me find any reviews of Blue Chip? I am having a hard time with my search.

Thanks

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:26 pm

I did find this:
http://losangeles.citysearch.com/review/53917 (good review)

And cannot find any complaints.

Tracynjay

Postby Tracynjay » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:30 pm

Thanks! Never thought to look up citysearch for movers - just restaurants!

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:32 pm

Tracy,

I have been advising someone else about a Los Angeles to East Coast move and at my suggestion he got quotes from both Beverly Hills Transfer (Allied) and Andy's Transfer (North American). Both companies have an "A" rating with the Los Angeles area BBB--I just checked.

He said that both estimators were courteous and professional and both gave GNTEs (Allied called it a TPG or Total Price Guarantee quote, which is actually a Binding quote rather than a GNTE). Every move is different, and possibly BH Transfer and Andy's wouldn't be able to give you a GNTE, but I suggest that you call those two companies to see whether either can send someone out.

The person I was advising, who has a much smaller shipment than yours (about 5000 pounds), said that Andy's quote came in at $1000 less than BH Transfer's and so he is going with them.

Return to “Open Community”