Comments: JB Moving, Kaster, Arthur Werner, Gold Service?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
RI-bound

Comments: JB Moving, Kaster, Arthur Werner, Gold Service?

Postby RI-bound » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:34 pm

We are planning a move from Fairfield County in CT to RI and have estimates from 4 companies:
JB Moving (Stamford, CT & New Rochelle, NY)
Kaster Moving (Stamford, CT)
Arthur Werner (New York, NY, Stamford, CT & Morristown, NJ)
Gold Service Movers (White Plains, NY)

Has anyone had experience with any of these companies? Some of these are agents for national moving companies, but our move is considered local and would therefore be done by this local company (as opposed to Wheaton or Atlas for example.)

Thanks!

Diane

Re: Comments: JB Moving, Kaster, Arthur Werner, Gold Service

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:43 pm

We have no reviews, but I've heard good things about Gold Service Movers. They got an award from Wheaton Van Lines in 2004, a very good sign. Reportedly Sandy Gold, a founder, had as his motto, "Service 'em [the customers] until they scream!" As I said, a good sign.

RI-bound

Postby RI-bound » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:58 am

Thanks Diane that's good to know because I saw some comments about Gold overcharging and using a "shuttle" to pad costs.

Does anyone have any more information on Gold or the other carriers. I've done some of the checking on SaferSys and BBB, but when doing a google search it appeared that many have changed addresses over the past few years. Not sure if that is a warning sign.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:08 am

I'm not sure about the other three companies, but in my own mind, changing addresses could be a warning sign in the sense that it might indicate financial instability.

What towns or cities are you actually moving from and to, and how much stuff do you have? I ask because it seems as if yours is a very short move. You might be able to use a well-reviewed company like All Star (see Epinions article linked to below) if your things could fit into a 26-foot straight truck.

Where did you see those comments about Gold Service overcharging and padding the cost with a shuttle? Usually, moving companies don't want to use shuttles if they don't have to. It could be that Gold Service couldn't access the residence with a large tractor-trailer. But for a move like yours, I assume they would use one of their smaller trucks.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:52 pm

I used Arthur Werner about 7 years ago moving from NYC to Atlanta and they were pretty good. My only regret was not using them for my return move (I used NAVN instead - disaster)

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:02 pm

Could you elaborate? What is NAVN?

angief98

Re: Comments: JB Moving, Kaster, Arthur Werner, Gold Service?

Postby angief98 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:20 pm

WARNING DO NOT USE KASTER MOVING COMPANY
I have reached my limit of patience with KASTER MOVING company and the “service” that I was provided. I was informed that although I signed for the full value protection with the $0 deductible I was not charged for it and so they are only willing to pay me $0.60 per pound for damages.
The damage done to my belongings is extensive. Our entire book collection is destroyed. All of the books are buckled from being stored in some type of humid environment. Small fragile items were broken because boxes arrived crushed. Furniture is scratched and gouged. Screws to put items together are missing making those items unusable.

I am beyond dissatisfied by the manner in which the belongings were transported and unloaded. My belongings were transferred in route into A RENTAL PENSKE TRUCK! And then unloaded by a non-Atlas employee and the driver in Seattle in unacceptable. They sold a product and did not deliver. My phone calls to Kaster were avoided when trying to get a delivery date. I was directed to deal directly with the driver, I think that is highly unprofessional.

I signed up for a professional move and ended up with a rental truck, damaged and destroyed items and non-Atlas employees moving my belongings (not to mention the issue of transfer of items in “Utah” I won't even get into that).

Mach10

Re: Comments: JB Moving, Kaster, Arthur Werner, Gold Service?

Postby Mach10 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:38 pm

Wow. I am sure she appreciates your warning. You know, being six years after her post and all.

Return to “Open Community”