Advance Commercial Movers

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
dilferaff

Advance Commercial Movers

Postby dilferaff » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:02 am

All –

I wanted to post a quick message and get some feedback. I’m moving from NY to NC at the end of August, and I’m in the process of getting three estimates. The movers I’m currently considering are Liffey Van Lines (Allied), Advance Commercial Movers (Mayflower), and Victory Worldwide (United).

I searched through the message boards, and found a couple of post for all three companies, but there wasn’t a true review of the quality of service provided. Has anyone had any experience with any of these companies?

Thanks,
Greg

Diane

Re: Advance Commercial Movers

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:16 am

Hi Greg,

You're correct that there are no reviews of any of those three companies. I think that may be significant. People haven't chosen them and then come back to report, for whatever reason.

I've been studying the NY metro area for about a year now and I've developed an Epinions article giving my thoughts about it (see link below). I believe that any of the companies mentioned in that article, and especially the three featured there as having the most and best reviews on this website, would probably do a good job for you. Since I wrote the article, University, All Star, and Moving Man have each garnered one more good review which I have yet to add to the article. Dahill (Mayflower) has also had a very strong review here recently.

You're fortunate to be moving to an area where all three companies could move you using their own trucks and drivers, which I feel is always a plus in terms of avoiding transfers and the attendant risk of damage.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

dilferaff

Postby dilferaff » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:50 pm

Diane –

Thanks for the advice. I’m going to contact University tomorrow (if they are open) to set up an estimate for next week. It seems they really have developed a solid reputation. I haven’t been able to determine if University offers a BNTE by reading through reviews on the board, and I’m just about to go blind from trying. Do you know if they offer this type of estimate?

I received three estimates today from Liffey (binding – $3,590 @ 3,600 Lbs), Molloy Brothers (non-binding - $3,040 @ 3500 Lbs.), and another estimate from Victory Worldwide which I should receive on Monday. At this point in time, I can pretty much drop Molloy Brothers due to their estimates being non-binding. I requested a binding or BNTE estimate, but the agent who showed up said Molloy only provides non-binding estimates.

Anyway, let me know if you have any additional advice or input. Thanks

Greg

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:05 pm

Greg,

Here's what I've gleaned from looking at posts and talking to people in the industry familiar with NYC.

People in the industry have had reservations about Liffey. I'm not happy about Victory Worldwide based on the fact that one of their employees came on here anonymously and started posting a bunch of nonsense (we think).

Yes, University does give GNTEs, but I've been struck by the fact that they tend to be on the high side. People have been charged a lot less than the estimate in the end, though (see the yellow arrow below). A driver whose opinion I respect (East Coast Mover) has spoken highly of Molloy, although he doesn't work for them. Drivers often know a lot.

I'm not sure why University tends to give high GNTEs and why Molloy often doesn't give them at all. Someone told me that sometimes this is related to trying to get a good long-haul driver from the van line to accept the load in case they can't haul it themselves. Drivers naturally prefer to think they may get more money out of the move (even if they don't), so they'd prefer a Nonbinding estimate or a high GNTE.

Since your cost will depend on the weight, maybe you should pay more attention to the discount level than to the amount of the estimate. Anyway, let me know what University says.

:arrow: I just checked and on the last two University moves reported on here, the one by "Tina" (to NC) came in $1200 under the estimate and the one by "mizrach" came in $1000 under the estimate. See the last post on this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=38588

Return to “Open Community”